Wednesday 3 September 2008

Do It Yourself - crafts, sewing


I just got my copy of the book in the mail today and I can't wait to try out some of these projects. Each one has a star system to indicate the degree of difficulty, clear directions, photos and illustrations and I think that there's something here for everyone, beginner sewers to advanced. I love the variety of projects. Lots of adorable clothing ideas (tops, skirts, pants, jackets, shorts, culottes...) and also really functional projects too, like a bath mat, a heating pad, a chair cover, a cd organizer for your car. I've been sewing for years (I used to work in a tailorshop) and believe me when I say that the glossary in the back is a real gem of ideas and information! It explains all the techniques used, terminology, patternmaking...lots of great stuff here to get you inspired and create new things from all your old jeans! 99 Ways to Cut, Sew & Deck Out Your Denim

I am very impressed with the ideas in this book - not just refashioning clothing, but using jeans for everything from skirts & shirts to bags, cd organizers, and mail sorters. Brilliant stuff. Very well executed too - no complex patterns here, not too many details. My only complaints would be (1) They really could have stopped at 30 or 50... with 99 designs some were "reaching" a bit (and some were longer/shorter/backward versions of practically the same things)... (2) they may have oversimplified a bit - without real patterns or sizing, I wonder how these will turn out.... (3) What, no blanket/quilt idea? Or curtains? That seemed so obvious! But otherwise, certainly great ideas here and very innovative and easy... a good starting point!

I have a daughter who is getting into sewing and I bought her this book. It's absolutely perfect for the beginner but I can see that as her skills grow, she'll still have lots of projects to work on. We are having a sleep over with all of her friends and everyone's bringing thier old jeans. Not everyone can sew but with all the cool ideas in this book, I know that they will all go home with the coolest jeans around. Talk about a super fun, educational, rewarding party!! I would buy this book for all your creative friends and family. Perfect for the pre-teens and fashionista's.

this book is super dope. of course there are 99 different projects and so the book is aptly titled 99 ways to cut sew and deck out your denim. page after page i found myself saying "why didn't i ever think of that?" super cool designs at every level from pretty easy to really hard. the best part is that i have the first book, 99 ways to cut sew and tie your t-shirt, and together, the duo looks pretty cool together on my coffee table and a major conversation piece! Love these books, more please!

I personally am a HUGE fan of the first "99 ways" book. I made tons of my old t-shirts destined for the trash, into some new, avant-garde, ultra-wearable items! I didn't think the new denim book would even be able to compare to the old book. Boy, was I wrong!! This new denim book has so many unique and creative ideas to dress up your denim into new and fabulously useful items. This book even has awesome new pictures of the finished items to accompany the very talented drawings! I love that I can see a true sample of each item. I've already made the ipod case (Zack) and really cute bag (Lily). I use both all the time and they are essential, yet functional and very very stylish. I can't wait to make more denim items.

I would highly recommend this book to any one who needs to spice up their wardrobes, their coffee tables, or their lives.

it's frustrating for me - i'm from italy, but, i have to say: forget the old fashion stuff like gucci prada armani.

the FUTURE world's style necessarily comes from these three girls and their rehab/clothes approach...ecological awareness meets cool style..and it's not expensive at all! this is REAL genius.

This book was interesting but not my cup of tea. Most of the patterns were a bit silly and rudimentary. I think there are some people would enjoy this book, but I think most of the patterns were too young for me. Try the library.

I waited to buy this book until it was on clearance at a local craft store. I'd seen it before, but there are many projects I'll never make, but for the price I got it, worth it for the cple of projects I've already made. Love the apron, and the little gym bag--though I did add a lining to both. I also made the gym bag from old khakis and added the back pocket to front of the bag--very cute & easy. I've got stacks of old jeans I've been saving, so I will try a few other projects from the book. The best thing is it's sparked me to get going sewing again!

the foto-drawings are artwork in themselves. this book has it all. great eco-integrity, great style, clear directions, creative ideas---my favorites are the slippers, no the Matt, no the doll--something for everybody, size shape and taste. unglaublich. - Sewing - Recycle - Jeans - Crafts'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Do It Yourself - crafts, sewing jeans Do It Yourself - crafts, sewing