Sunday 30 October 2011

Portable Radio - portable radio, boombox


I bought this CD player for it's size. We use it on our kitchen, where it fits nicely on a shelf.



Aside from being a space saver, there isn't much to say about this unit. It plays CDs fine and hasn't had any trouble playing discs I've burned using iTunes. Being able to see the disc spinning is kind of cool.



There are only two things I don't really like about this player: the AM/FM radio tuner and the volume control. The radio tuner is not digital, so you have to manually tune in a station every time you want to listen to the radio. It does seem to get pretty good reception though. The volume doesn't go up very high. Don't get me wrong, it's loud enough, it's just not loud enough for me to hear well from the other room. Of course, some might see this as a positive thing.



Overall, I would recommend this CD player if all you need are bare bones CD player functions. Emerson PD5098 Portable Radio CD Player

I was quite disappointed with this product. I have owned other Emerson products in the past, and usually their products are of decent quality. The design and footprint were very nice, but the product didn't function as it should. I found that CD's (in good condition) will skip when the player has been playing for an extended period of time. Mine was playing steadily for about an hour or two when the CD's started skipping. I switched CD's twice, and the skipping just got worse.

Great sound and doesn't skip. Works great next to your bed because of the way it is designed it does not take up a lot of space.

The only thing it doesn't do is play mp3's.

If it did I would buy ten of them.

This is really a nice machine.

Buy one, you won't be sorry.

On a recent weekend getaway, when my wife and I arrived at the hotel I realized I'd neglected to pack one of our portable radio/CD players. Plenty of CD's but no player. Oh well. The radio, I figured, would have to do. I switched on the clock radio by the bed. It only got one FM station, got it rather poorly I might add and it was a country music station to boot. (pun intended) Nothing against all you C & W music fans out there but that music just isn't our cup of tea (cup of grits?) so we drove over to the local __Mart (oooh! good guess!!) to pick up a cheap FM radio. I already have two portable radio/CD players at home, expensive ones, and didn't need another. I just wanted something we could listen to that weekend, a cheap FM radio, a throw-away if you will. Was I ever surprised to find that for about the same price as we'd paid for breakfast that morning I could buy the Emerson PD5098 Portable CD System! In spite of poor in-room radio reception, as evidenced by the sorry little clock radio, the FM stations came through on the Emerson clear as a bell. Our CD's, even ones I'd recorded on two different PC's, played flawlessly. Is this unit a throw-away? No. No way. Being way smaller, lighter, cheaper and much easier to pack and to carry than our old ones it is now our official traveling radio/CD player. Will I use it every day? No. We'll only use it when we travel. It'll probably last forever! Did the three inch speaker do the trick? Yep, it sounded great and we could hear our tunes just fine even over the noise of the whirlpool tub jets and the sound of all the moaning. (Let's get our mind out of the gutter, shall we? The moaning came mostly from me. When I knocked the bottle over. And spilled the last half of the champagne.) Will I break down and cry uncontrollably (like with the champagne) if I ever accidently leave the unit behind somewhere? No. I'll miss it but at such a reasonable price I won't miss it for long. I'll quickly purchase another Emerson PD5098 to replace it. Good job, Emerson. Nice size. Nice sound. Nice price.

I've owned this unit for three years and it works flawlessly. The CDs don't ever skip, even when I move the unit. It has exceptionally good sound though the maximum volume could be a bit more powerful. I basically bought the unit for its portable size and smart design. It takes up little space on my nightstand or kitchen counter or out on the patio table and loading a disk is a snap. The radio tuner has good reception and it doesn't bother me that it isn't digital. However, I do wish it was a stereo unit. Its compact size, I don't think, would suffer terribly if another speaker were attached on the other side. The outlet for the detachable electrical cord is recessed and unobtrusive. It's built solidly yet it's light-weight. For the money you can't beat this unit but does any one know if Emerson has an upgrade stereo version of this item? If so, I'd buy ten of 'em!

There are 2 versions of this unit.

The first is what most people are reviewing.

It is distinguished by a red LED CD display.

This version was subpar and sold up until the end of 2006.

In 2007 the second version is distinguished by an LCD CD display.

The build quality is much better as well as the sound.

Apparently Emerson switched manufacturers as both unit s have different OEM

codes on the ID plates.

I have both versions and this is how I know this.

The first one I purchased at Walmart in December 2006 and it stopped reading cd's.

I returned it about a month later and received the second version.

The store had to have received new shipments and even the box looked different.

What a difference!

Much much better. And a bargain for $20 too!

Is it a high end model? heck no! but for the price it's good. - Portable Radio - Emerson - Boombox - Cd Player'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information