Friday 28 October 2011

College Banners


Well, I do not know what the previous commenter was expecting from a book with this title, but it serves as and excellent guide to examining the essential qualities of learning.Learning is a skill which is not enhanced and developed in the public school systems here in the United States. As a high school teacher, I have found this book extremely useful in sharing with many studentsstudents the keys to being not merely a student, but a LEARNER. Far beyond one of those trite "study-skills" guides, this book focuses on what kind of person the good student needs to be. Clear and to-the-point, I recommend it for any student, teacher, or parent who wants to reflect on the art and skill of being a learner. The Elements of Learning

I'm a college microeconomics instructor. Recently, at the end of an introductory chapter in the course textbook, I was telling my students why it is important to study economics. I told them that the only way to knowing whether studying economics is worthwhile or not is to make a list of benefits and costs, and compare the two. The answer becomes apparent following a careful cost/benefit comparison. It is quite possible that everyone will end up on opposing sides even if the same benefits and costs were considered. Their order of importance will differ.



I thought I was done when one young student asked me how one can become an economist. I told the student that becoming a good economist requires activation of all one's senses: hearing, sight, touch, taste, and smell - alternatively on has to learn. The last two senses brought laughter to the class, but I am not going to pursue that here. What I want to relate is that I struggled explaining what learning means, and when I got home that day, I searched for the answer and "Elements of Learning" was my discovery.



From this book I now appreciate that learning is an adventurous privilege (Chapter 1). Its supported by 11 key elements: industry, enthusiasm, pleasure, curiosity, aspiration, imagination, self-discipline, competitive civility, cooperation, honesty, and initiative (Chapter 9-12). Along with imagination, the ability to recover from failure is a part of learning as the author of the Harry Potter book series makes clear (see http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2008/06.05/99-rowlingspeech.html). The elements of learning nearly all internal to the learner, and the successful learner is one who can develop and sustain them.



However, learning is not only a cumulative process. It is also an interactive process that involves dynamic interchanges between the learning qualities on one hand, and the surrounding environment on the other (Chapters 13 -17). The book concludes with 12 "to do's". A great book that must be read by all students and their teachers across the disciplines.



Amavilah, Author

Modeling Determinants of Income in Embedded Economies http://www.amazon.com/Modeling-Income-Determinants-Embedded-Economies/dp/1600210465/102-0646972-1335324?SubscriptionId=1NNRF7QZ418V218YP1R2

Well, I do not know what the previous commenter was expecting from a book with this title, but it serves as and excellent guide to examining the essential qualities of learning.Learning is a skill which is not enhanced and developed in the public school systems here in the United States. As a high school teacher, I have found this book extremely useful in sharing with many studentsstudents the keys to being not merely a student, but a LEARNER. Far beyond one of those trite "study-skills" guides, this book focuses on what kind of person the good student needs to be. Clear and to-the-point, I recommend it for any student, teacher, or parent who wants to reflect on the art and skill of being a learner.

The authors start with a reasonable premise - there are certain qualities that students require to learn well.Industriousness, curiosity, etc. The list, and a fewstimulating paragraphs about each quality, would have made a helpful magazine article. Instead, there is a long,uninspiring chapter on each quality. The book remindedme of the longest lectures I received from my parentsyears ago. But I didn't didn't commit any offense thatwould entitle the authors to treat me in this way!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


College Banners College Banners College Banners