Friday 23 September 2011

Digital Camera Case - case, waterproof camera case


I purchased this waterproof case for my Canon Powershot SD1200IS and it works like a dream.



After a wonderful nine-year ride with my Canon Powershot SD110 - in which the poor camera was inadvertently dropped many times and exposed to a multitude of elements - it finally met its match after being dropped into sand. When the lens retracted due to the auto shut-off feature, sand was pulled into the camera and the lens motor burned itself out after repeated attempts to turn it on. After extensive research, I chose to replace my SD110 with the new SD1200IS. Consequently, I vowed to never expose the new camera to sand. Ever.



After looking into Canon's proprietary waterproof solution, I was quickly turned off by its ridiculous price tag - it was more expensive than the camera itself! I was pleasantly surprised to find the Dicapac solution, yet understandably apprehensive due to it's low price. Nevertheless, I decided to buy one and test it. After passing a series of tissue and paper submersion tests, I finally took the leap and placed my new SD1200IS into it and took it to the beach. The case worked like a charm in not only the sand, but also in the salt water. Photo quality was remarkable - you can't tell the difference between in-case and out-of-case shots at all. The only minor gripe I had was that the default case lens configuration was maybe 1 to 2 millimeters too short for the SD1200IS's fully extended lens barrel. Fortunately the Dicapac case came with a barrel extender which I've installed for a quick fix.



This is a wonderful product that works as advertised. Highly recommended. Waterproof Underwater Case for Canon PowerShot SD970 IS SD960 IS SD780 IS SD9...

I purchased this underwater case for my brand new Canon PowerShot SD780is. I was skeptical at first because it has just a Ziploc bag type plastic zipper and a couple of Velcro closures you secure after rolling the opening a few times. I did the required test once I received it and put a piece of paper inside, closed it up and submerged it. The paper stayed dry...but still, was I willing to trust it to my $200+ camera?

Well there was no need for me to worry. I took it to the British Virgin Islands on my sailing trip and it worked GREAT! I got great shots of the fish when we stopped to snorkel, as well as fun shots of my family as we just floated in the ocean on our noodles at the end of the day, drinks in hand.

My only recommendation to others who will be using this while on an ocean or beach vacation is to always, always, ALWAYS, keep your camera inside the case. It works great, only if you are actually using it. I took my camera out of the case because we were going to be heading to shore for a party, and proceeded to drop my camera in the one and only puddle on the top deck of the sailboat. Luckily because the case is not extremely camera specific, my sister in-law's Nikon point and shoot fit right into it. We kept her camera in there for the rest of the trip and it worked great, at sea and on land. I did get occasional spots on some pictures when on land, but that was because I forgot to clean off the dried salt water spots that formed on the acrylic lenses cover before using it on land. So again, my fault, not the cases.

I have a Canon SD1200 which is supposed to work with this product. Unfortunately there is no way to secure the camera inside the bag, so it's impossible to keep the camera lens centered on the lens area of the bag. The camera just slips around inside the bag like it would in a baggie. If the camera lens is not centered behind the lens portion of the bag, the bag blocks the camera lens from coming out. Not good for the camera! Perhaps if I had a bigger camera it would work okay. It's also difficult to reach the camera's power switch through the plastic.



The bag opening is designed like a diver's dry bag so will certainly be waterproof. The lens section screws on and off, so I'm not so sure about that.



Four stars for water resistance, no stars for usability.

I bought this underwater case for my trip to Cancun, Mexico and it was well worth the money! We used this for almost every outdoor activity: pictures in the pool, at the beach, zip-lining through waterfalls, snorkeling, in the caves, and all outdoor activities where possible damage to the camera may occur. This underwater case protected our brand new camera (Canon SD780) from water, dirt, and sand. I was out snorkeling for over an hour where the camera was submerged in the ocean the entire time and it worked flawless. We took many great pictures thanks that we would not be able to take without this case.



We saw some people with disposable underwater cameras but they were only limited to 20-40 pictures and it cost about or more than this case. With this case, we had the luxury of taking as many pictures as we wanted and was able to have the digital file to load onto the computer.



The only cons are that because the case is universal, it did not fit snug with our camera; therefore it was loose and the camera could slide around a bit. Another con is that the lens extender piece in the middle blocked part of the flash so the camera couldnt utilize the full flash when taking pictures at very dark places. Other than those two, the underwater case does what it was made to do which was to protect the camera from water! For the price, it is well worth it! - Waterproof Camera Case - Case - Waterproof Case - Camera Bag'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information