Friday 15 July 2011

Gps Navigation - gps navigation, driving directions


I have been using Street Atlas 2008 for a while and decided that I needed the newer version as I use it everyday in running appointments around a very large area. With all the development over the last several years there are many neighborhoods that were not appearing in the 2008 version. The use of it is the same and happy overall with that...but a lot of the streets have NOT been updated so really it was a waste of money. I expected that since I bought this in the Fall of 2010 and it was the 2011 version that it would be fully updated with all the new streets but that is not the case. Street Atlas USA 2011

Street Atlas USA 2011 is a very thorough map program, perhaps too much so. It started out as a map but has grown over the years to offer way more features than I'll ever use. Still, I like it and I think it is a good value for the money.



I first became acquainted with Street Atlas USA at a computer trade show quite a few years ago. They were giving a demonstration of the software and asking people from the audience to give them an address which they would then bring up on a large screen. People were giving addresses in places like Chicago, New York City and Los Angeles and predictably they had all those streets in their map. Well, of course. They all have large public works departments and I assume the company was able to obtain good data from those cities. Well, there's always one joker in the deck and I live in a very rural county - not even in a city. I got a chance to put in my address and was immensly surprised and impressed when they showed not only my street but my driveway which is a private road serving three properties! At that point I had to buy a copy of the software and I've never regretted it. I use it for all sorts of research, trip planning, genealogy, etc.



On the negative side, its listing of businesses such as motels is rather hit and miss. I recently wanted to locate a motel in Bandon, Oregon and it showed very few of the many motels there. I tried routing a trip with it once and it tried to route me on a dirt logging road over some mountains! I have not attempted to use it with a GPS equipped laptop. I was also disappointed in their corporate attitude towards using maps generated by the software. I wanted to use some small sections in a genealogy book I was writing but they were unwilling to permit such use even when I offered to pay for the rights.



Definitely some areas for improvement but I have found little or nothing to complain about in the basic mapping information. Since I don't use it's advanced features very much, I'm quite happy with the product.

Too much wrong with this version when compared to earlier versions. My favorite is SA 9.0. It's GUI is much more user friendly and even my old Grand Daddy could get around in it. Also, SA11 won't allow you to run it on home desktop and a laptop. It's either or and that's it - sucks.



Find SA 9.0! Don't bother with this version.

This map software is a fairly good buy. does most of what it says except I found that more than a few of the roads, rest areas, and such are either way off of where the map says they are or they just don't exist at all. it shows some dead end streets as through streets in a couple of towns as well. the reason I discovered thease things is I was following a cross country truck driver friend of mine through thease areas and they had a front row seat of the mistakes the map has. Not useless but does leave some to the imagination.

After my experience with Delorme customer service, I will never purchase another one of their products. I received an upgrade notice not even two weeks after purchasing the 2010 edition. Instead of paying additional fees for a product I just purchased, I asked to use their "30 Day Money Back Promise". On two different emails, they just ignored the question and quoted their upgrade fee. I gave up dealing with them as it wasn't worth the hassle.

I have been using Street atlas USA from version 1 "no rouoting option at that time" .Then in 1999 I started driving a Truck "over the road" I would always plan my trip almost door to door using this program AND the A Truckers Atlas "low clearance and other trucker details". After about 2003 "I Think" the program got screwy. For a simple trip of 60 miles on a state road it had routed me off the main road 2 or 3 times. They should bring back the EASY and More accurate program. Everybody doesnt need all the bells and whistles of the Newer Version. The last version I have used is 2009.

DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2011 is a great mapping product. It lets you mark and identify places on the map. The cursor gives GPS coordinates of locations. It is a great program for printing maps for large areas, as well as small.

I ordered a DeLorme USB GPS receiver for my laptop, and got the Street Atlas 2011 to go with it. This software is easy to install, easy to use, and the maps are amazingly detailed. All of the back roads in Colorado that I like to follow are in the maps, and the farm roads in eastern Colorado are all there as well. It's an easy program to get used to, and although I don't use the navigation features, I suspect they are equally detailed and user friendly.



Overall, this is a program that I can recommend to anyone who wants GPS mapping and navigation for their laptop. - Atlas - Maps - Gps Navigation - Driving Directions'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Gps Navigation - gps navigation, driving directions driving directions Gps Navigation - gps navigation, driving directions