Friday 15 July 2011

Emergency Kit - emergency kit, radio


I bought this so I'd have a portable radio to use when sheltering in the basement from a tornado. I didn't want to bother with buying batteries all the time, so this is a convienence.

Both the generator & solar panels work great. Direct sunlight is needed for the panels.

Reception is very good.

Speaker is a little tinny, but OK.

Jack for earphones (earphones not included, but they're so cheap & easy to get...)

No provision for adding regular batteries, but why the heck would you want to?



Altogether, a very good little radio.



But note to outdoorsmen: it IS NOT waterproof.



MY CONCLUSION--this is a quality product.



If this has been helpful, give me a vote. Kikkerland Dynamo Solar and Crank Emergency Radio, Green

Picked up this little radio at a store. At first the AM-FM-WideBand switch didn't work--it was stuck on FM. After using the switch a couple times, it started working fine. Maybe it needed to be broken in.



This radio is very small--looks about 3" x 3" x 1.5". Reception is pretty good on all bands. WideBand is fun, not sure what to expect out of it but you can receive random stuff, especially at night.

I have one of these little emergency crank radios and have recommended the radio to many friends. I have given a couple as gifts. These little radios are only a few inches high and run off solar or you can turn the little crank handle to charge up. You can keep them handy for an emergency but you don't need to wait for an emergency. Keep the radio in a sunny window and your radio will always be ready. You don't have to worry about buying batteries or being ready for a power outage. What a comfort to have a radio to listen to when you are left in the dark and don't know what is going on! The price is so very reasonable. Easy to work, unlike some emergency radios. Be ready for the next emergency!

So far this little guy seems like a pretty good deal. I've only had it for a short time but I'll be using this thing fairly often as a kitchen radio so I'll be sure to update as I go. The solar panel works well and keeps it solidly charged. Reception is made somewhat difficult by the fact that the antenna goes up but doesn't bend (so you have to move the radio itself around to adjust the signal). I like the very small size, it fits in the palm of your hand, and the two power generating options make me feel warm and fuzzy. It has a signal indicator light and a power generation light for when your turn the crank so you don't wear out the crank early by turning it too hard.



The only bad thing I can say about this so far is the packaging is that type that requires a gorilla armed with a machete to open - sealed against the Armageddon. Since you can operate it without taking it out of the invincible package I was actually considered leaving it packaged in case it stopped working... I have since taken it out because it's so nice and small and the package was bulky.



**update** A few months in and it's still going strong. I've never had to crank for power, the solar panel gives enough power for at least 40 min of listening in low light (I haven't hit a dead battery yet). Signal is becoming easier to get as I figure out the best locations for reception. I've got about 50 uses under my belt so far, using the radio a few times per week.



**update @ 6mo** This thing is amazing. I still have not reached a dead battery, even after several hours of listening. I'm thinking about getting another one of these things for work. I love the tiny size more and more (3 x 2.75 x 1.75") as time goes on and have become proficient at getting a good signal quickly, often by turning the radio over on its side.

This is a very compact (about the size of a juice box) little radio but the speaker is almost the same size as the Kaito ka500. I own both. After testing both, I can contrast and compare the two which are both sold here. If all you want is am/fm/weather and price is a factor, this one is for you. Reception is actually slightly superior to Kaito in a large city. The only downfall for this little radio is (1) cannot add batteries (2) cannot change batteries. Crank is good design and solar charger works well. Priced just right at $17.00. The Kaito has loads of features but is priced at $50.00. For emergencies, this little radio would work just fine.

I had been meaning to buy an emergency radio for a while, but did not like the idea of a hand-crank radio. I got interested in this radio because of its solar panel, and decided to order it after reading some of the reviews here. I'm very happy I got it.



- It is small, light-weight and cute. Easy to carry from room-to-room. It's color and material are pleasant to look at and hold. It appears to be of sturdy construction as well, as it slipped and fell from my hands (on a carpeted floor), but did not get affected.



- It came pre-charged, so I could start using it right-away, which of course, is always a good thing :-)



- The solar charging feature is very nice as well. It has a little red LED which shows when it is getting charged. It needs to be placed in direct sun light to get charged, and ambient light is not adequate for that.



- There is another little LED near the speaker which lights-up when it is ON. It's sound quality is fairly decent and it can get fairly loud as well, which is suprising for its small size. At max volume, I can hear it through my entire house, though, of course, there is more noise at that level.



- The packaging indicates it is acceptable for outdoor use. So I expect to carry it with me while gardening, and in the bathroom while taking a shower or bath. I was able to hear it even over the sound of the water.



- It even has a little antenna that can be pulled-out, as shown in the picture. But I haven't needed to use it yet. It also has a provision to plug-in a head-set, which is a nice touch as well.



- Like another reviewer, I too felt initially that it should have a provision to add batteries. But, given how well it works, I think it's not necessary. Unused batteries would leak and damage the product when it is sitting in the sun getting charged.



- For me, the product worked right out of the packaging, and all the buttons/knobs worked just great.



All in all, I am very happy with the purchase, and recommend it strongly. - Radio - Solar - Emergency Kit - Emergency Radio'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information