Wednesday 27 July 2011

Analog Alarm Clock - alarm clock, casio


I've owned two of these for years, they've taken a lot of abuse (we have two small boys) and still work great. Yes, the alarm setting can be off by a bit, but consistently by the same amount. So once you figure out by how much, you can easily make the correct adjustment. A small inconvenience in my opinion, considering the cost and overall quality- they do keep the time accurately. Also, a nice snooze and crescendo feature, not too annoying but loud enough. All in all, a great value.

Update 1/09 Change of features: I just got another one, and noticed they no longer have the snooze and crescendo features. Will see if the reliability is the same as before. CASIO TQ140-1 Travel Alarm Clock

I bought this clock in January 2010 from JustCalculators for $13.99 with free shipping (no super saver shipping minimum either). I would recommend this seller, who shipped promptly. For some reason another seller thinks that this clock should sell for $45.99. Please. This is just your very basic alarm clock. I bought it because my old Casio one, extremely similar but made in Japan, was 40 (yes, you read right) years old, and started working erratically.



This clock, made in China, looks very plastic in person, but not too unattractive. Because of other reviews, I wanted to see how it would work for at least a month before reviewing. So far, it has kept flawless time. Also, I have not experienced the problems others have of the alarm not going off at the exact time. However, I tend to set it for an hourly/half hour time, like 6 or 6:30 a.m. versus something like 6:20, which might make a difference. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it's not too easy to read the clock in the dark. The hands light up, but the numbers don't. My old one has a button you could press that would light up the entire dial. That feature is lacking on this clock.



In the meantime, after I bought this clock, my old Casio alarm clock started working regularly again. Figures. I don't own much that is older than that first Casio clock. Let's hope this second one is so durable. This review will be promptly updated in the event that any problems arise with the new clock.

I have used a travel alarm for years at home so that any potential power loss won't impact my getting up in time for work. My trusty 30+ year old Braun died a couple of months ago. This Casio looked like it had potential as a replacement. The ticking is so loud it keeps me awake. When this sits on your bedside table it becomes all you can hear after a while. There seems to be no place in the room that is convenient and suppresses the noise.

This little clock only measures 2" x 2" but it's simplicity makes up for the tiny size. The off/off button is simple to operate (up for "on," and down for "off"), the time and alarm are easy to set, and the clock makes no noticeable ticking sounds. The alarm is reasonably loud. I would have liked something larger and a bit more robust (I fumble in the morning) and am amazed at how difficult it is to find a simple battery operated alarm clock that does nothing but keep the time and wake you up.

I bought one of these years ago in Rome when my expensive, multi-time zone, many featured digital failed miserably after only weeks. It worked perfectly while the hotel operator that was supposed to give a slightly earlier wake-up call slept. It worked perfectly on trips thereafter and was a vital companion to make sure flights were made in time. Simple, runs on a single easily found AA cell for a long time and easily seen at night with its glowing dial and hands. A perfect example of KISS! After years of use I broke it in Rio with a pre-dawn flight to catch by forcing in a rechargeable battery that may have been a bit out of shape in darkness. Fortunately the operator in the airport hotel was on his toes though I slept less soundly knowing my reliable little wake-up companion was ruined. I was very unhappy, not expecting to find an exact replacement after the years. There was a big grin when I found Amazon had the exact thing and it sits ready to go among my travel gear. The old one resides in a little corner of a drawer with small "memories" of good things. I got some of the first digital, multi-time zone, calculator watches when they came out in Japan so I know digital. I often like digital. This is the clock I depend upon to wake me for must make flights. The only thing that knocked off a star for mechanics and construction is the fact replacing a battery in less than ideal conditions did break the original.

Smaller than I expected but it turns out that I liked the size which, of course would be great for travel. And the large, greenish numbers made it easy enough to see the time across the room. They seem like they might glow in the dark but don't really. Which was great for me because I didn't want any extra light in my room. However, I was mistakenly under the impression that this clock did not make a ticking noise. And, while it's quiet enough, in general, I can still hear it from 5 feet away while in my bed. And that's too loud for me. - Analog Alarm Clock - Casio - Travel Alarm - Alarm Clock'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information