Saturday 4 June 2011

Yoga Towels - bikram, yoga towel


I never write reviews, except if something is exceptionally horrid or exponentially amazing. These towels are the BEST for hot yoga. Extra long, super soft, and DON'T BUDGE for anything. There was no need to readjust throughout the whole 90 minute Bikram session. I know it's just a towel, but my practice benefits from not being distracted by crumpled terry cloth under my feet. Loves 'em and a most-definite recommend. Hot Yoga Mat Towel 2 Pack for Bikram Ashtanga Iyengar

I practice Bikram yoga 3-6 times a week. I have a yogi-toes towel and a similar knock-off brand and I agree with other reviewers who like a towel that stays in place (thanks to the little rubber nubs). I bought these towels because you get TWO for the price of one yogi-toes. They fit over my mat perfectly - actually about an inch longer than my mat. If you use them straight out of the packaging they don't lay flat because of the folds but now that I've washed them, they lay perfectly flat and I don't seem to have any trouble with them moving around or bunching up. (Perhaps those people who have this problem are moving around too much on the mat to begin with.) The best part about these towels is that they are WAY more absorbent than the yogi-toes and they dry much faster as well. I'm glad I bought these and not another expensive yogi-toes!

I ordered this towel primarily for its value, as I practice Bikram yoga (almost) daily and needed several to use between washings. I'm very pleased with its quality and the cool blue color. It is extremely soft microfiber, which is incredibly absorbent during a hot practice. Its 2' x 6' size fits perfectly over my yoga mat (Yoga Mats by Mivizu Eco Friendly Anti Slip Yoga Mat With Extra Thickness Skidless Mat for Pilates, Exercises, Aerobics, Yoga 72" x 24" x 1/4" 7 Color Options). It moves minimally during postures, but certainly not enough to be distracting, and certainly not enough to warrant spending double the price on other pricey brands. Don't use fabric softener when washing, as it will diminish the absorbent quality.

I recently started taking hot yoga classes based on Baptiste method. Without towels, mat becomes slippery and poses unstable. Considering that this is vinyasa style yoga to ensure constant, stable movements, I choose to invest in purchasing these towels. They came in solid white color. Having two is helpful because I can alternate them between the washes. They can be hang dry and can dry overnight. These towels may not be as attractive as Yogitoes or Manduka brands, but they are practical and serve their purpose just fine. I am sure I will be getting more as I am increasing my number of classes per week. Having them all in same color makes wash more energy efficient.

Having these hot yoga towels to do Bikram doesn't make the "torture room" any less difficult, but it does make the practice more do-able both during and after class. The yoga towel completely covers the rubber mat so offers a security from its slipperiness during postures as well as doesn't twist like terry cloth towels . . . thus you don't have a wad of towel underfoot while trying to do standing bow pose. After class, the super-absorbent towel easily washes with a good soak in some soapy water and then dries quickly if left hanging. Living in the city, I don't have laundry in my apartment so the towel's quick wash-and-dry allows me to use it a couple times before I send it off to the laundromat.

I have to agree with the other reviewer, this towel bunched up CONSTANTLY during Bikram. I looked around at the Manduka and Gaiam mats and they had not even a crinkle. The positives are theyre heavenly soft, super absorbant and dry quickly. But you get what you pay for. They have a good grip and my feet dont slide on them, the only problem is that they dont lay completely flat and need constantly adjustment, or jusy lay on the crinkles.

The yoga towels were a great value compared to the nice bright yoga towels that I see at my yoga studio for $65. Two for $50 is a much better value. I don't worry that others have the nicest deep colors vs. the palid grey of this product. The problem is that the towel tends to bunch up on my mat even with water spritzed on to hold it in place. Perhaps my chatterrunga is a not as light as the next person's. Still even a twist from one position to another bunches up the towel. I look around and see the $65 towels laying perfectly flat and wonder if it might be worth the 260% mark up...

Overall good, especially when it gets a bit damp. I have tried the yogitoes as well for hot yoga. Both work well but the yogitoes did grip a bit more. However, this is a great buy and the towels do work very well for hot yoga.

I have a Gaiam mat and use this on top in my hot yoga class. I used to slip and slide constantly without this towel, and beach/bath towels bunch up way too much. My REI pack towel did an ok job of decreasing slippage too, but it wasn't nearly long enough to cover the whole mat. I've never tried a more expensive towel, but I am highly satisfied with this one. - Bikram - Yoga Towel - Yoga Towels'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Yoga Towels - bikram, yoga towel yoga towels Yoga Towels - bikram, yoga towel