Saturday 4 June 2011

2009 Amazon Frustration-fre - lodge, cast iron skillet


I honestly cannot say enough good things about this pan. At first I was skeptical and a little hesistant about cooking with cast iron. Growing up in the south I knew the magic of cast iron cornbread made with fatback, but I also knew the special care that went into seasoning the beloved pieces of cookware. When I saw that this was preseasoned I went for it. I worried that it might be a lightweight pan and only sublime quality for the price but I was pleasantly surprised. This pan has a heavy weight to it and is crafted solidly. I've used it for hamburgers (they make the best I've ever tasted), grilled chicken, pork chops, and shrimp (YUM). Something I learned is that things tend to stick a little so coating the pan with vegetable spray is a good idea. Also, try soaking your shrimp in a mixture of butter and garlic before grilling it. I am in love, it hasn't even left my kitchen counter to go into the cabinet since I bought it because I use it so much. My husband being a Yankee wasn't used to the goodness of the cast iron but now that he sees how perfectly it browns meat while still leaving it moist he is hooked. With this pan I find the grooves to be so helpful. You can season the meat without worrying about all the seasoning burning to the pan. Also they're nice and deep so that the fat that does run off actually stays off the meat. Cleaning it is SO easy! I just run hot water into the pan while it's still hot from the stove then use a sponge or dish towel (NO SOAP) to wipe it out, rinse it off, and then spray with vegetable spray while it's warm before putting it away. I have to say that Lodge has a loyal fan in me. With quality old time cookware like this, without the hassle of seasoning it first you can't go wrong.

Okay, so my THIRD (count em *3rd*) Foreman grill in like 7 years bit the dust. I thought briefly about getting a new one, but the fact that they're a pain to clean, you can't set the thermostat and bottom line it gets very greasy and messy...fuggit about it! I considered the Cuisinart Griddler which looks really cool but I really didn't want to pay $100+ for one. Also I don't have a LOT of counter space. On the other hand I DO have a stove...so I started browsing. I already have a Lodge cast iron regular skillet and it's served me well for YEARS now. When I saw the grill skillet with the ridges I knew that's what I was looking for!



I just had a chance to use it for the first time this evening. What a pleasure - it was pre-seasoned so just had to wipe a bit of olive oil on the surface. Heated it up, and made a delicious steak! Came out nice and juicy with grill marks, not all dry and cooked wrong like on the Foreman. However I will have to buy a grill press as I used the bottom of my smaller cast iron skillet to 'sear' the steak and get those nice marks. But even buying both the grill pan and the grill press, you're paying significantly less than you would for a Foreman - and this cast iron lasts forever. Your grandkids will still be using it, I bet! Cast iron is better than any of those non-stick cooking surfaces (like on the Foreman) that flake off. Ew! Take it from me, get this pan and a grill press and skip the Foreman...

Let me open by saying that the negative reviews on this pan were, in my opinion, written by people who aren't quite sure how to use it. It's really pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Just try the following:



1) Put the pan on a large burner.

2) Coat it lightly with nonstick cooking spray.

3) Turn the burner on somewhere between medium to medium-high.

4) Once the pan is hot, put in burgers, chicken breasts, pork chops, or other decent cuts of meat. How you choose to marinate/season said cuts of meat is entirely up to you.

5) Cook anywhere from 4-7 minutes per side.

6) Enjoy your exquisitely prepared meal.

7) Clean up the pan with hot water and a ScotchBrite sponge. If you encounter difficult-to-remove, burnt-on food stains, try putting a thin layer of kosher salt on the pan and scrubbing with the SB sponge.

8) Rinse the pan thoroughly and dry completely with paper towels or whatever.

9) Coat lightly with nonstick cooking spray.

10) Store until next use.



Call me crazy, but that sounds pretty easy to me. Bottom line to all of you cast iron naysayers: be patient, keep using this pan, and eventually you'll learn how to get the most out of it. It really is terrific!

I looked at several different options - such as the Foreman grill before settling on this grill pan. Although I have a small back patio, I've never used a bbq and wouldn't be comfortable doing so, not to mention I'm just cooking for one so the time spent setting it up wouldn't be worth it to me. The Foreman grill, based on reviews, didn't sound like it would be easy to clean and wasn't reliable. The grill pan looked like the perfect solution. Although the pan is heavy, there are two handles which makes it easy to move and carry over to the sink. Following advice I'd found on the internet, I use cooking spray generously and bought a wire scrub brush to clean it with. The pan does create smoke so I'm always sure to turn on the kitchen fan and open the back door before I even turn the stove on as well as disconnect the smoke detector. The pan heats up fairly quickly and cooks the food evenly and quickly. I must admit I don't use it frequently and have only tried a handful of foods, but I have been pleased with my experiences and would recommend this item. - Skillet - Cast Iron Grill Pan - Cast Iron Skillet - Grill Pan - Stovetop Grills - Lodge'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information