Tuesday 24 May 2011

Paranormal - horror, demons


This book is about a spiritual battle between good and the evil trying to take over, prophesies to be fulfilled and learning to have true faith. There are angels, demons, warrior priests, fallen angels and a young boy born with special powers to save the world. Ethan's confusion as he learns about himself and his unique abilities make you care for him. His alternating youthful over-confidence and insecurity as he is thrown into a world far beyond anything he is prepared for forces him to look beyond himself for help. As he grows spiritually, he learns that his strengths come from faith in a higher power.



From the moment you pick up the book, the author draws you right in with good character development, a great storyline, lots of sub-plots. Still, it flows quickly and smoothly, without getting bogged down in the details. There was no need for overly-graphic scenes, making the book appropriate for all readers! The ending was perfect to leave you wanting to read more, leading you into the next book in the trilogy! The worst thing I can say about the book was that it wasn't at LEAST 300 pages longer!



Great work, as are all of the books I have read by Mr. Somers! THE REALM SHIFT (Realm Shift Trilogy #1)

As an avid reader of Sci Fi and Christian authored books, I highly recomend this book and anything else by Mr Somers. No namby pamby is James Somers! He appears to understand the realities of life on this plane of Life. This book is entertaining, provocative and makes the reader want to jump to his or her feet to cheer the heros and boo the bad guys! Can hardly wait to read the sequels. May we see many more works from the pen of James Somers.

Okay, to save time I'll just review the whole trilogy here: I found the realm shift to be a very cool story. Book One introduces us to Ethan who is part of a prophecy but doesn't realize it. He's been wondering since he was very young why he can see demons and they can't see him. This is only the beginning of the cool powers he possesses though and the book is filled with lots of action and enjoyable characters. I especially enjoyed reading the scenes with Captain Bonifast--sort of a Han Solo or Jack Sparrow type of guy.

Book Two was even better...more development of the characters and some surprising twists in the story that I really enjoyed. There's more going on than I'd previously thought would be...this hits an ending like Empire Strikes Back where the good guy may have just become a villain or vice/versa (I won't spoil with the character name:)

Book Three rode the edge...waiting until nearly the end to reveal which way one of the main characters will go: forced into evil or willing to pay the price to remain good. Cool conflict throughout. never ending action. I was sad to finish, but it had a cool ending. Is there more coming? the ending seemed to leave a door open for another plotline with a different character?

I like paranormal stuff and Realm Shift mixes the usual epic fantasy quest with Demons as prime movers among the enemies Ethan must face. In fact, it is Ethan's special ability to "shift" from the physical world of men to the spiritual realm of demons and angels that makes him the focus of prophecy and everyone's attention. This power comes off in very interesting ways throughout the story as Ethan learns how to begin using his abilities, while on the run from soldiers and demons who want him dead before he can fulfill the prophecy. Demons can't see him in his physical form while men can't see him in his spiritual form...makes for some cool battles and fight/chase scenes...LOoking forward to reading the rest of this series!

OK this is a Trilogy so I would highly recommend buying all three because once you start reading this book you will want to read them all. The author was new to me but for a dollar I figured I'd take a chance. I brought all three books and was glad I did because once I finished the first one I had to know what was going to happen next. Is this a great work of fiction maybe not but it is worth your time. I would say the biggest issue I had with the book was the editing. It can be a little distracting when you find obvious typos but other than that the story moved along, the characters were well developed and I'll just have to wait to see how things turn out in the last book. Again I would recommend this book if you like the classic good vs evil story.

Get the next book in the series:The ORDER of SHADDAI (The Realm Shift Trilogy #2)

I really enjoyed the realm shift...the pace never lagged, exciting action scenes and charming characters I could actually care about. I highly recommend it for all ages! young boys will really get a kick out of it!

If you don't give a hoot about English, you might make it through these books. My comments refer to the first two books of the trilogy. Glad I only paid $1. for each. The author has an interesting story which is undermined by poor vocabulary and grammar. Examples: confusing reins with reigns, there with their, piqued with peaked, sleuth with sloop!! (yes, really!), using whom as a subject when "who" was called for (Ouch!) I could list more but I'd have to read the books again and that is not happening. Please, can't someone proofread these books and correct the errors?

I've been meaning to come write a review for this book for awhile. I read a lot of books that I don't bother to review, but this one stands apart.



I'm not sure if I'm getting pickier as time goes on, or if there are just fewer and fewer books that are able to keep my attention. Whatever the reason, I've been having a *really* hard time finding books that I want to bother to start reading, and even fewer that I actually bother to finish. "The Realm Shift" by James Somers was a rare treat in a sea of blah.



The main character is a teenager, and Somers manages to write him in a believable, likeable way (which is really saying something considering the fact that the character boasts spectacular powers-- and could easily be a shallow character). I actually cared about what was going to happen to him.



I also enjoyed the plot. Somers does a good job at pacing and keeping the story exciting. There's nothing worse than being engaged in a story and then the author slows the action/story down to relate mundane details (ex. describing room decorations ad nauseum, or wasting pages giving the menu for dinner). Somehow the author is able to have an economy of words. Enough to give you a vivid picture of what's going on, but not so much that you get bored or want to skim.



He also weaves a moral good story without being cheesy, trite, or heavy-handed.



To me a book is worth it, not so much based on cost, if its worth the reading hours I invested. Everyone's limited reading time is precious, and authors should not waste that time (neither should readers). Let me assure you, this book is MORE than worth it on both counts (money spent and time invested). I'm not sure exactly what brought me to James Somers page, but I am very glad I found it, and purchased this book (and am in the middle of thoroughly enjoying the sequel "The Order of Shaddai").



I am planning to check out many more of James Somers books and advise any readers that stumble across this review to do the same. - Horror - Demons - Paranormal Romance - Action'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Paranormal - horror, demons demons Paranormal - horror, demons