Sunday 15 May 2011

Iphone Car Charger


Though I don't have an iPad, I have a bunch of electronic devices that charge via USB and need that extra oomph! I was pretty stoked when I saw this one has a 1A port and a 2.1A port. I have tried standard dual USB chargers that work well for low power devices, and I also had a 1A charger for the more power hungry ones. Unfortunately, that one couldn't handle my Axim, GPS receiver, and Zune at the same time. The Scosche handles that, and I'll bet more, but I'd need a USB hub to find out. It even charged my Axim while charging my Zune from a totally spent state.



It also fits snugly in the AC source in my car unlike the last one I had that kept losing the connection and I had to wiggle it around hoping it wouldn't get dislodged when I hit a bump. And also unlike the last one I had, the LED is bright even in sunlight so I can tell it's working properly.



I would buy another one of these in a heartbeat. Scosche reVIVE II Dual USB Car Charger for iPad

Ok, let's start with everything that is good with this charger - it has very high quality build, and from what i can see inside, it uses high quality electronic components. So i can assume it can output it's listed current. Unfortunately, i wasn't able to test it myself, and i will get to the core issue now. This charger DOES NOT CONFORM to USB charging spec. What this means, is that pin 2 and 3 are not connected. So any device designed for this spec (i.e. everything not Apple) will not recognize this as a charger and will only draw 0.5 amps max. For example, my HTC Desire can barely keep it's battery charge level when running navigation software with GPS enabled.



This issue probably can be solved with specially designed USB cable, and i'm gonna test this idea next, and this is why i give 3 stars instead of 1 or 2. But still, i think this is very serious drawback in otherwise very good charger.

This gadget lasted about 3 months and then stopped charging. Neither port would output anything...just the pilot light worked! I called the company (Scosche), was instructed to return the item for repair/replacement. Then: Nothing! Nada! Zilch! No customer service at all! I e-mailed support and requested a status update and was e-mailed back asking for tracking number for my shipment to Scosche. That was after four weeks of silence. Now I've been waiting another week after supplying tracking info...and nothing. The concept of this device is OK. The service department is underwhelming, by any measure of the word "service". I wouldn't buy anything manufactured or "serviced" by Scosche.

I use this car charger for my Samsung Galaxy S. The 2.1 amp port is perfect for keeping the phone charged while using GPS and playing music. Other chargers, including oem, may not push enough power to allow for a charge with those services and programs running. This little charger fits snug within the socket and there has been no issues with either port, the fit, or design. The additional port comes in handy when using other, less power hungry devices--such as my mp3 player (SanDisk). The only compatibility issue I've come across was with an older HP digital camera that saw the charger as a data connection and refused to charge. I highly recommend this product for anyone with a powerful mobile device that requires a car charger capable of pushing more amps.

Scosche support confirmed that the 2.1 A port does not meet USB specifications. He said you could use the 2.1 A port for an IPhone, but the battery may have a premature failure. If you have a device that relies on the USB limiting the charge current, then you should consider another charger.

Hi, I'm very pleased with this device. It does a great job powering my iPad. My only reservation was regarding the size. I thought it might be rather bulky but it's not. For the price, features and performance I rate it as a great buy.

I got this car charger because I had tried others (that were for iPhones), and they didn't produce enough amperage to power my iPad. This easily handles the chore. There are a few modest minuses --



1 -- It's a bit more expensive than I would expect when compared to the cost of iPhone chargers. On the other hand, very few chargers produce the necesary power, so maybe that's what it costs.



2 -- It is pretty big, almost getting in the way of my shifter (which is next to the accessory outlet that it plugs into).



3 -- It doesn't come with the iPad cable, so you have to use your own, or buy someone else's iPhone charger that has a USB cable, and throw away the other charger. I suppose that this is more of the "it's a bit more expensive ..." point.



All things considered, I'm very happy with it, but I could have been "extremely" happy with it.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Iphone Car Charger Iphone Car Charger