Wednesday 18 May 2011

Art For Children - craft kits, crafts


I'm not a very crafty person, and I'm trying to do more with my 3 year old son since I just had a baby and want to spend quality time with him. I had purchased some pre-made craft packages, and thought I'd try this out.



I was rather disappointed. My son had fun playing with some of the items, and we used them to make a few crafts, but I was expecting more ideas for what to do with the pieces. The description says there are lots of project ideas, but all I saw was a few pictures on the box giving you a few basics. I guess I was hoping for a guide or booklet with directions to make specific crafts.



I was also disappointed with some of the materials. I don't like the chenille yarn...it sheds, and I had little pieces of colored yarn all over my house (and the dogs). I would have rather seen some nice pieces of thick wool yarn, which is something I tend to use in our crafts. I also don't like the craft sticks (tongue depressors). Instead of being wood, they are flimsy foam. I find that wood ones work much better for most crafts.



The description also says that when you are finished, you can tuck everything away back in it's box. The box is flimsy plastic with a plastic lid, so it's not the easiest thing to use as a container, especially with a 3 year old boy. To be fair, according to the package the age for this is supposed to be 4+ (Amazon's description says 36 months to 6 years).



Personally, I'd rather go out and purchase some wooden craft sticks, some googly eyes, some thick wool yarn and some colorful pipe cleaners. I ended up buying some craft books, which were much more useful than this box of crafts (and gave me some ideas of what I can do with the contents of this box). I really like Easy-To-Do Holiday Crafts From Everyday Household Items!: Including Crafts for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, and Every Day of the Year! Faber Castell Big Fun Crafts

have watched the price of this item go from "sale" of $14.99

to $7.99 and $6.99 if you get it for $8 or under then i would say is worth it

not sure why this brand feels the retail should be so high for it

here is a list of items included

* scissors

* foam craft sticks

* chenille yarn

* chenille stems

* straw beads

* pony beads

* feathers

* wiggly eyes

* rainbow string

* self-adhesive foam dots

* tissue paper squares

* colorful pom-poms

* sparkle pom-poms

* self-adhesive felt sheets



i think for $8 or less this is a great kit for crafty kids especially on rainy days

when they are antsy to find something to do

get a few more items to go with it and you have the perfect gift for anyone who loves

not only crafting but being creative this does have a few ideas that comes with it

but just as fun to work with each other and see what we are coming up with on our own

We gave this to my daughter for her 4th birthday. She (and her older sisters) had a great time with it. The box it comes in is great for storage, but it is a little large. We ended up putting the pieces that are left in a small shoe box and she still gets it out from time to time and makes all kinds of creative things and often gives them away as "gifts".

One of the things I really like is the sticky dots so you don't have to use glue. My daughter can use them all by herself.

This was a gift to my very creative nieces. It was among the most popular of all the gifts they received at Christmas because of the potential for invention. Although the materials are not high quality, the colorful display and variety of items was perfect for this "neon" culture of kids.

This kit had the potential to be awesome, but as it turned out it was only pretty good. The feathers were a complete waste of space and time and i expected the color sticks to be be like popsicle sticks, but they were soft and bendable. Limits their usefulness. Needed more beads and color pipe cleaners.



I would do things differently if i had it all to do over. Not that its bad, but half good isn't worth it.

I picked this up for "sale" for $13 - and it seems it is just a bunch of odds and ends cramed in a box. If you can get it for $10 it is probably worth it as it does have some value in determining if you child is into arts and crafts. However, it is a bit os a dissapointment if you are expecting anything more from it.

Save your money to go buy various items at your local arts and crafts store yourself! I was looking for some ideas in this box but all it had was pieces of supplies which did not excite my 4 year old at all! A waste!

I purchased the Big Fun Crafts box for a third birthday present, based on a great price, positive reviews and, importantly, the recommended 36 months to 6 years age range. When I received the box, it clearly shows 4+ on the front of the box. The photo on Amazon is too small to see details on the box. I would not wish for my children to receive gifts clearly marked outside their age range, and accordingly I will be giving this gift as intended. The product does look nice, but the age recommendation needs to be fixed. - Craft Supplies - Crafts For Kids - Crafts - Craft Kits'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Art For Children - craft kits, crafts crafts Art For Children - craft kits, crafts