Wednesday 18 May 2011

Acer Aspire One - ddr3, sodimm


Be careful when ordering this memory for the 1015PEM. This netbook requires a chip-set with only 8 chips on it. I ordered this part recommended by Amazon and it came with 16 chips which does not work on this netbook. Call Crucial and order direct - they know how to match this up. Crucial CT25664BC1067 2GB 204-PIN PC3-8500 SODIMM DDR3 Memory Module

This is not the right (2G) memory for Toshiba Netbook NB305-440. According to Crucial's website the 2G memory upgrade for Toshiba's netbook is CT1290394. I can't find it on Amazon so I'm going to buy it directly from Crucial. Amazon was nice and took back the wrong/recommended one I had bought.

I added this RAM stick to my Toshiba Satellite T215D-S1150 TruBrite 11.6-Inch Laptop (Chrome) [Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit]. The notebook came from the factory with a 2GB RAM stick in one of the RAM slots, and the other slot was empty. The upgrade worked just fine, and now I'm enjoying the faster performance of a total 4 GB of RAM.

I just got this ram for my new ASUS 1015PED. I read some reviews here that said it didn't work for this netbook, but it does. The reason for that might be that Amazon sometimes merges reviews from different items into one. But to try to clarify the problem, what I found out about the memory compatibility issues for the ASUS 1015PED is that this model needs a ram module that has only 8 chips. This is the case for this item whose model number is CT25664BC1067.



If you have this netbook and are concerned about buying something that will not work, just check that you are getting that same model number and you should be fine.

I just bought a new ACER notebook 521 and as I was buying it, Amazon told me "people who bought this also bought this item", DO NOT BUY IT FOR ACER!!! It is the wrong model. I had to call the seller (who is not Amazon while selling via them), get a return number, it was a lot of work. I am now waiting for the correct one. It is the CT25664BC1339. The notebook is great so far!

To make a long story short, Amazon recommended this, and my research on the 1015PE was lacking, and so I thought Amazon made the right recommendation for my computer. Unfortunately, it's not even the right number of pins for my system.



So for those of you who own an ASUS Eee PC 1015PE, this is what you need:



ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1015PE:

2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 PC2-6400 SO-DIMM

with recommended CL (Cas Latency) of 6.



There are several of these on Amazon. If you search for those exact specs, you should get close to what you need. Make sure your BIOS is upgraded to version 0801 or higher before ordering, as older BIOS versions have a problem with the 16-chip versions of 2GB SODIMMs.



I give the product five stars, but take away a star for Amazon's lousy recommendation system that doesn't have any of the facts right and leads to so many people making the wrong choice. You can find Crucial, Patriot, and other brands on Amazon if you look for the right type. Good luck.

Works fine in my Acer Aspire One AO522-BZ897 10.1-Inch HD Netbook (Diamond Black), which at the time of purchase, was too new for any websites to have reliable upgrade info. Seeing other reviews having problems with the 16 chip version of this memory card, I was nervous when that's what I was shipped, but it works fine in my netbook. Getting to the single ram slot inside is a right pain; look online for videos for upgrading the ram in the Acer Aspire 533 (which has been out for longer). It appears to have the same construction, but ignore the comments about screws hiding under the rubber feet -- the 522 doesn't have screws under the rubber feet.



Per Microsoft's page on Windows 7 memory limits, if you're keeping the Acer Aspire One 522 with Windows 7 starter, the max ram you can use is 2gb. If you upgrade to any higher version of Windows 7, you should be able to use 4gb max.



With 2gb under the hood, my netbook works great -- even lets it handle some gaming.

While Amazon recommends it and some people have got the right chip to make it work, this is not a good buy when come to adding memory to your Asus 1015PN. I have read that it needs to be a memory chip with 8 chips on it and Amazon tends to send the one with 16 chips on it and this may or may not work with your computer. Then when I went to return it to Amazon they charged me for shipping, even thought they recommended it and I would have got the right one to begin with if I knew there could be a problem. Not worth chancing it. Just go to crucial's website and search for you computer model, then you should have no problems. Still an Amazon fan, but this has soured me a bit. That and the fact that they charged me for over night delivery on this and my netbook, even though they both shipped in the same box. Not a good way to treat a prime member. - Sodimm - Netbook - Ddr3 - Asus'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information