Saturday 25 December 2010

Protein Powder


I bought this to use in smoothies for a balanced meal. I had tried another brand and didn't like the strong vanilla taste, so I bought this because it was described as being virtually tasteless. However, after using it for a couple of days, it too has a very noticeable vanilla taste, which isn't terrible but not desired. It looks like full-fat powdered milk and produced a thickened creamy consistency to my smoothies. I guess I should have realized that there would be some taste to it, but I am not familiar with protein powders. Maybe this is as "virtually tasteless" as it gets.



I bought this product specifically because it was unflavored and unsweetened. There are many vanilla and chocolate products (my personal favorite is Designer Whey) for smoothies, but I wanted a way to boost the protein content of savory foods such as soups, stews, spaghetti sauce, etc.



Unfortunately the product does have a slightly sweet, milky flavor. The flavor is fine in a smoothie or other sweet application but just tastes all wrong in beef soup or tomato sauce or other savory, non-milk recipes.



On the plus side, the texture is good compared to many powders and as long as you don't mind the subtle sweetness, the flavor is good. My husband has taking to adding this to his morning smoothies and loves it.

From our 8 year old to the adults in the house, we all love this product! Added to our soy milk - plop in a banana and ice - and we have a delicious breakfast replacement drink. It has wonderful benefits without the nasty "flavor" -- and after taste of all the other protein powders.



Our kids like the occassional treat of muffins and pancakes in the morning. By adding a scoop or two of ANY WHEY to those muffin mixes, pancakes, etc. our kids get their "treat" with extra protein to help them make it through the morning.



This 2.7# tub is less expensive than the cost of a 1# tub at the local nutrition store. GREAT DEAL!

I like this product because, unlike many other products, it has a very simple ingredient list: it is simply a blend of whey protein, together with a bit of "natural flavoring" (although the product itself doesn't seem flavored) and lecithin (presumably used as an emulsifier to make it mix better). No artificial flavors or tons of sugar, and nothing significant besides whey itself. Protein content is high, cholesterol content is low, and fat is about what you'd expect--but all are significantly better than many other whey products.



I normally use this to make smoothies, although I've used it before with just fruit juice, which also tasted good. I use a blender; you can do it by hand, but it's a bit more prone to clumping that way. There is very little taste other than what whey probably tastes like naturally (not quite like milk), which is exactly what I want. I've never used it in baking, so I can't comment on how it affects flavor or texture, but I'd recommend starting with small amounts and watching the heat level or cooking time if you do try it, since the food may brown faster.



Again, I like this product because it really is just a whey protein blend, which is exactly what I want--no excessive flavors, sugars, or add-ins that add cholesterol and (more) fat.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information