Wednesday 1 December 2010

Exercise - omron pedometer, pedometer


This is a casual pedometer. This is not a scientific instrument.



My favorite thing about this pedometer is the clock -- it is summer in Arizona, and wearing a watch makes me itchy. Handy to have a clock on this thing.

The second best thing about the pedometer is the size -- it is slim and tinier than my MP3 player.



It is easy to set and easy to reset.



However, this baby counts steps I did not take. Seriously. Just putting it on a dresser overnight can pick up a couple of hundred steps on the counter (from traffic vibrations? who knows?)

Additionally, it is not sweat-resistant. I've tried it on a lanyard and in a pocket -- if you get it sweaty working out, the display goes blank.



I use it all the time as a clock -- it quite handy for that purpose. But it is basically useless at its designed function. Put a stopwatch and a beep timer on it, take away the step counter, and it would be a better product, in my opinion.

I got this pedometer at a store because its design was appealing, and pedometers can provide a lot of inspiration to exercising right. Now, I regret it, because its many cons have made it useless as a worthy tool to track steps.



Pros:



Mainly, the looks and design. Not only does this pedometer look cool, but its design is beneficial as well. It's so thin, that you can just slip it into a sock, or put it in a small, tight pocket. The sleek gray color and location of the buttons make it look cool, too. The design of this pedometer make it much more visually appealing than other pedometers, but...



Cons:



The fatal flaw of this pedometer is its inaccuracy. It's so sensitive that it easily records steps to your slightest movements even when you're sitting still or down. Unintentionally moving around in a pocket triggers the oversensitive sensor as well. Even the action of putting it in your pocket to start the day triggers four or five steps. I've found that this pedometer sometimes records TWICE the amount of steps as another more reliable one that I bought after this one.



Surface is a bit too weak and prone to minor scratches, fingerprints, and dents. I find that the surface of this pedometer is a bit weak. It's prone to scratching and little dents if you abuse it too much or over-clean it. This is not really a big issue, but I thought I might point it out anyway. It attracts fingerprints and if you press too hard on the wrong part of the device, you'll get one of those irreversible little dents. I did this accidentally when pressing and missing one of the buttons (oops!).



Price. Seriously, the price on this pedometer is just incredibly ridiculous. For such a poor product, the price is just crazy.



Overall, I think I made it clear that you don't want to buy this product. I'd recommend a Omron HJ-112 Digital Pocket Pedometer instead. It's about the same price but much more accurate.

I bought this Pedometer yesterday at Dicks sporting goods... It will be going back to the store today for a refund. Extraordinarily sensitive and inaccurate. If you wave your hand back and forth 1 inch very slowly it will count up. Sitting in a chair and shifting it will count up. This is an absolute POS and should be taken off the shelves in every store.

Somehow, the Sportline brand has gotten a position in nearly every retail outlet like target, kmart, dicks, etc. So I have had the misfortune to have tried 3 different Sportline pedometer models (none of which have lasted or worked), including this 304 hanging version. A family member thought this hanging style would be more comfortable than the belt clip style. However, hanging from a belt loop it didn't give an accurate count. Neither would it work when carried in a pocket. The final straw was when we wore it together with a new Timex W180US belt-clip style. The Sportline 304 didn't even come close to the number of steps shown by the Timex. The Timex company needs to get some shelf space for their pedometer line. Presently, the only place I can find this better pedometer is at Amazon and I have just ordered my second Timex pedometer. - Fitness - Pedometer - Health - Omron Pedometer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information