Monday 29 November 2010

Screwdriver Set - bits, torx


Initially I needed the T-5 torx bit, but I use this set more and more lately.



The driver part has a metal shaft and a plastic/rubber handle with a swivel top. It is more stiff than I thought, and while not a professional product, I doubt this will break anytime soon. The bits are not standard 5mm bits but a reduced 4mm size, so they are not interchangeable with most drivers.



My set has:

torx 20, 15,10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3

hex (allen) 4mm, 3, 2.5, 2, 1.5, 1.3, 0.9, 0.7mm

flat screwdriver 3, 2.5, 2, 1.5, 1.0

PZ1, PZ0

Philips screwdriver PH1, 0, 00, 000

and the driver. Boxer 30 Pcs 4mm Precision Screwdriver Set

There is a huge variety of bits and they are all magnetical. The case is very durable along with the screwdriver that comes with it. The problem is that the bit tips are very weak and bend REALLY easy. I understand that you should be gentle while using small bits like this, but these tips just hardly have the strength to take out commercial screws and they bend way to easily. They should have coated the tips in something stronger. I probably wouldn't recommend these to a friend.

I bought these tools to remove the screws from a hard drive on a dell notebook. A local computer shop wanted $60 to do the job. The screws are very small phillips head. One of the phillips head tools in this set was small enough, but it couldn't get a good "bite" on the screw. I tried one of the small flat head tools. I twisted that tool. So its lost.



However, I ended up draw filing the original phillips head tool so that it didn't drop so deep into the screw. That worked! These tools did save me almost $50. I would say they are good for light duty work. Good for a hobbist, but not for a lot of serious work.

Not only is there any kind of bit you could possibly imagine, but it comes in a good sized carrying case in which all of the bits snap into, and has a swiveling top so that you can easily use it against the palm of your hand.

I wanted to open up my iPaq handheld device, to repair its speaker. To do so I needed two very small (T5 & T6) torx heads. I have several sets of small screwdrivers, that I have used over the years for many small jobs, but none had a T5 head. So, after looking at various sets on the Internet, I bought this one. I am glad that I did. The case is about 7 inches long, sturdy, with a nice sliding lock. The locks on my other small sets are overlapping bits of plastic that either got so loose that they're useless, or were so tight that when you tried to open the box you had to exert quite a bit of force -- sometimes the darn thing opened so suddenly that the drivers came out. In this case, you slide the lock, and open the box. Simple. The handle and the bits are well-secured in snap-in holders. These work fine but, I suspect, might loosen (or break) with time. We'll see. The red/black part of the handle (see item photo) is about 3.75 inches long -- long enough that (at least in my hand) the top part of the handle sits comfortably in my palm, while my fingers grip further down. You don't feel like you're holding a teeny-weeny tool - it feels quite robust. The top part of the handle rotates, and the lower part (where your fingers grip) is rubberized; these two features make it very easy to control the driver when you are working. The metal part of the handle is magnetized. This not only means that a bit stays put in the handle, it also means that a screw "magnetically attaches" to the tip of the bit. This makes removing & re-inserting these tiny screws so much easier. I used the tool to open up, and re-close, my iPaq - it worked like a charm. My only regret is using those other sets of small drivers for so long. Never again. They're going into the trash. This is a 5 star tool.

I bought these as part of a combo, and they were only a few bucks considering that I was already paying shipping from the seller.



They've got all the itty-bitty torx bits needed for my motorola phones, as well as the tiniest hex bits I've ever seen (anyone know what actually uses a 0.7mm hex drive head?)



There are 2 things I would prefer to be different however. Firstly this is a 4mm drive set, meaning that the only tool I have to hold the bits is the one that came with them. It's not a big deal, but 1/4" drive would have been great (although it would probably encourage overtightening of previously-mentioned super-small bits and would result in breakage).



The second thing I would have liked would have been some tri-wing bits. These bits are used on a good number of electronics and are hard to come by in the super-small sizes needed. In my opinion this kit should replace some of the Philips or Flathead bits with other less common bits as it's pretty easy to find the Philips and Flatheads in very small sizes.

This set is designed well enough, with the exception of the material used for the bits. The phillips bits are OK, but the straight blade screwdriver bits go helical if you try to put any torque on them. The precision screwdrivers I have used from General have (in general) been much stronger. If you need these for more than casual use, my recommendation is to bite the bullet and pay for a better set.

The set is exactly what it claims to be, and is well-made, functional, and well-organized. The driver bits are as described in the listing: several types of screwdrivers, Torx bits, and Allen (hex) bits, in a range of small sizes. The screwdriver bits include flat, standard Phillips and Posi-drive Phillips (a Phillips-head with small wings between the crossed head flanges, for more purchase); the standard Phillps driver can be used on Posi-drive screws, but not the other way around, so you have to look closely to be sure you have the correct bit. The precise sizes are listed; essentially they run from "jeweler's" size to the small end of the normal range. The size is engraved on each bit shaft, though the markings are tiny. (Note: the T6 and T8 Torx sizes, and the small Phillips-heads, are appropriate for the case screws on Mac computers; I have used this set for that purpose, and it works great.) The bits appear to be very well-machined; the heads are precisely cut and well-finished. I cannot speak to the hardness treatment, but they appear to be good quality. The bits are all magnetized, and hold small screws very well while placing them in or removing them from threadholes. The driver is a little larger than usual for "jeweler's screwdriver" sets, but is comfortable and easy to hold. The shaft is steel with a standard hex-sided bit holder; the handle portion is covered in plastic with a rubber gripping surface, and the rotating top piece is also plastic. I was a bit leery of the plastic handle at first, but it seems to work OK. The bits and driver are well organized and easily accessible, in angled slots in a sturdy case with a latch; the case and lid are hard plastic, but not too flimsy. In short, this is a good set that is functional and seems to be well-made; it is an excellent deal at the price. - Precision - Torx - Bits - Screwdriver'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Screwdriver Set - bits, torx precision Screwdriver Set - bits, torx