Thursday 4 November 2010

Oxo - toothbrush holder


Why is it so hard to make a sensible toothbrush organizer/holder? None of the usual places you would look for a decent one such as, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, or Macy's, have anything really innovative or practical. The typical "cup" style usually just has a plastic drain at the bottom that you just remove but then have to really wash vigorously to remove any scaling or mold. You know, the ceramic or plastic cups that come in hideous colors or designs. Blech! We had just been using a ceramic coffee mug but my wife got tired of the gross buildup at the bottom and asked me to find something else.



I found the OXO toothbrush organizer on Amazon and though very expensive, I thought it was worth a shot. The first thing I noticed when I opened the shipping box was just how humongous this organizer was. It is unwieldy! I'm not sure why they had to make it so darn big. It's wide in circumference and height. There are 4 divided slots for toothbrushes but they are large enough to easily fit 2 toothbrushes in each slot. The front slots work well for the smaller toothbrushes our kids use and the center slot for a tube of toothpaste is perfect. The toothbrush slots have small silicon-like flaps that keep the toothbrush in place so they stay upright. And the entire divider is removable for easy cleaning.



Functionally, the ventilation at the bottom and the lid are perfect. You still have to clean up but it's definitely easier than those slotted cups you often find. The bottom of the organizer is just plain plastic and unfortunately, slides around our counter top frequently. A felt or rubber base would've helped. This is important because of how large the organizer is and because of the biggest design flaw of the OXO toothbrush organizer-- the lid.



The lid is huge, heavy, and requires clearance to open. It is so heavy that when you open the lid, the whole organizer wobbles due to the imbalance created by the weight of the lid going down on the hinge. The lid opens up so wide that you need to make sure you have clearance behind the organizer for the lid to open. Unfortunately, our counter space is pretty limited on our vanity, so having to place the unit about 2 inches away from the back splash not only looks bad, but wastes space. I also think stainless steel was a terrible idea. Can you say water spots? In just one day, the entire front part of the organizer was covered in water spots. I think just a simple white plastic material with a heavily weighted base would have been a much better idea.



I was originally going to keep the OXO Toothbrush Organizer, not because we love it, but because we just hate everything else. I changed my mind however after a few more days of use. OXO needs to miniaturize the unit and reconsider the weight and balance of the lid as well as their choice in materials. Not recommended. OXO Good Grips Toothbrush Organizer, Brushed Stainless

I was quite pleased with this tooth brush holder. I was looking for one

that has a lid on it to keep my brushes from being contaminated as they sat on my sink.

This one is really great as it has vents on the bottom to air the brushes out.

I would definitly recommend this to anyone who keeps their tooth brushes on the bathroom

sink counter.

I saw this item on the Nate Berkus show and after hearing Dr. Oz describe the germs that float in the air and lands on the toothbrushes really disgusted me so he recommended this. I bought it and really like the look of it. It was a good purchase.

THIS ORGANIZER IS A PERFECT SIZE FOR MY SMALL SINK. THE TOP IS NOT TOP HEAVY AND DOES NOT TIP OVER. IT IS SMALLER THAN THE ONE I HAD THAT WAS PLASTIC AND KEPT FALLING APART. IT IS VERY EASY TO KEEP CLEAN AND EASY TO USE. MY LARGE TOOTHPASTE TUBE FITS VERY WELL. TERRIFIC ITEM!

After hearing about a covered toothbrush holder on Dr. Oz's show, I thought it sounded like a great idea. The electric types keep the brush parts under cover. So, I sent away for this one from OXO and it works great! I can even store it on the tank top of my toilet, and not on my sink, because of the fact that it keep the brushes inside the container and not exposed to the air.

Nice container for keeping my little grandson's toothbrush and toothpaste out of sight but keeping them clean. Some fingerprints show but a little wipe with a towel keeps it looking shiny. Nice to know exactly where everything is stored.

This Toothbrush organizer was exactly as expected. Dr. Oz recommended a covered toothbrush holder and this was the only one that wasn't electric/automatic.

I like the fact that I can clean it easily ( inside and out) and it's a covered unit. It's a little pricey---but does the intended job ( keeping the toothbrushes clean/ and the toothpaste all in one location). - Toothbrush Holder'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Oxo - toothbrush holder toothbrush holder Oxo - toothbrush holder