Sunday 10 October 2010

Hearing Protection - radio headset, hearing protector


I bought these headphones to wear while woodworking and cutting the grass. I am happy to say that they do a GREAT job. They have switches on the back of the right headphone that are easy to reach while you are wearing them. The top switch is the noise cancelling/amplification switch and the bottom one is the radio on/volume. The noise cancelling/amplification is amazing. I switched it on and I heard the fountain across the street and birds chirping as if they were right in front of me. Then I picked up a hammer and slammed it down on the workbench and I heard the hammer hit, but it sounded as if I tapped the bench. That is the beauty of these headphones - you can hear everything, but not to a damaging level. You still get the feedback you need from your tools but it is at a level that is pleasant. You can even listen to the radio and still hear everything you need to provided you don't turn up the radio volume too loud - you shouldn't need to since you are blocking out the unwanted noise.



The following things keep the headphones from reaching 5 stars:



The radio tuner is not for the decision making challenged. There is no readout, analog or digital, so you have to listen to the heapdhones and wait for the DJ to say what station you are listening to. Not a big deal, I found a station I like and just leave it there. The station adjustment knob is the large and in the center of the outside of the right headphone - again easy to reach and not so sensitive that you keep skipping your station. The AM/FM toggle is right on the front of the right headphone and easy to reach. The other thing keeping these headphones from 5 stars is the fact a special cable is required to use an MP3 player or other audio device. Peltor is very careful to never show the back side of the left earphone - that is where the goofy connector is located that requires their special cable. There are a couple of websites that sell them - I have seen them for $20-$30, it is an FL6N cable. Maybe there is a good reason for this connector (2 way comm standard or something) but for $110, I want to be able to buy a $2.49 3.5 mm stereo cable and be good to go - or better yet INCLUDE IT with the headphones.



Overall - great headphones with excellent performance. Peltor M2RX7A Alert AM/FM Radio Headset

I found this set to be very impressive. The noise blocking is outstanding to say the least. Along with the built in radio sure makes yard work a pleasure while running landscaping equipment a couple hours per week.



What I found very impressive is the active surround sound. When turned off, you are completely isolated from all sounds around you. When you turn on the surround sound, you actually hear everything as if you were not wearing this unit and actually louder as it will amplify slightly, but you you have full volume control for that as well.



I find the radio to perform very well. I believe those that complained in other reviews around the web were probably in areas with a lot of buildings or structures which would tend to cause that. Out in the open, I never experience static once a station is tuned in.



Now If radio commercials drive you mad, then here's a simple fix. I purchased the audio cable that allows attachment of other audio devices such as a scanner or external mp3 player, etc and I also purchased a Create Labs Stone mp3 player. this is a very tiny mp3 player which holds 2 gig of data. I then took some velcro and attached it to the outside of these ear protectors over the battery cover.



Since the player is only 2 inches long and .5 inches wide and weighs just over 1/2 ounce, its not intrusive at all. The cable can then be bundled up and out of the way.



I highly recommend this headset. Even if you don't run power equipment much or work in a noisy environment that long, they are still a pleasure to wear just for the radio (and mp3 player attached)



Just a side note: This does not come with the audio cable (FL6N) I purchased mine from [...] for the best pricing I could find, $[...] at the time I write this.





UPDATE:

I ordered the FL6N audio cable in order to use my mp3 player. This worked fine but the plug on the headset didn't seem to provide a solid connection. With no way to avoid the static and interruption due to the poor connection, I requested a replacement and hope it was a simple defect on this particular item. I will update my findings when I receive the replacement.



Replacement Received:

Just got the replacement from Amazon. Outstanding customer support to say the least. Anyway, this copy has no issues with the external audio jack connection and all is wonderful!

The unit worked as advertised EXCEPT the AM radio is sensitive to direction. When I turn my head to a certain direction, while listening to the radio, the station fades. This is very annoying while working in my shop or mowing the lawn. This happens only with the AM radio not the FM radio.

I talked to an engineer at peltor and they are aware of this problem,but they do not seem to be planing to do anything about it.

*****July 5, 2008*****

These babies are fantastic. I use them while I'm working on projects and when I'm doing yard work. They are comfortable, not too hot, strong, and resistant to rain (so far). The sound quality is excellent, too.



Also, the surround microphones cut out when sound is greater than 85 dB (peaking), while the radio stays on.



Volume knob for surround microphones

Volume knob for radio

Tuning knob for radio stations

Toggle switch for AM/FM (this switch is inset, so as not to bump it easily)



*****December 17, 2008*****

I have a few more things to add.



Being that each speaker is isolated from the other, the stereo in these is amazing--a much-intensified listening experience.



Also, I will say that these are a little difficult to fit under my Skull Bucket full brim hard had. Luckily, though, I can get a comfortable, tight fit out of my hard had with these ear protectors on underneath of it. I advise using caution at heights, though, as there is a higher potential for the hard had to fall off with these on under it.



I've been using these every so often since the summer, and still have yet to change the batteries! - Hearing Protector - Ear Protection - Radio Headset - Headphones'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Hearing Protection - radio headset, hearing protector hearing protector Hearing Protection - radio headset, hearing protector