Sunday 5 September 2010

Hungrygirl Recommends - dairy-free, milk substitute


This taste really good in cereal or mixed with carnation instant breakfast drink. If you mix 1 cup with the sugar-free carnation drink mix, you get a good & filling breakfast or snack for 1 weight watchers point.

Sprouts has a better price on it though.



The previous reviewer should not have given the product a low rating because of Amazon's price. Amazon's ratings go in a different section. That's not fair to the product and to the people looking for feedback on the actual product. Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Milk, Unsweetened Vanilla, 32-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)

For those of you complaining about the price, that state it's twice as much (or more) as your local grocery store, THEN BUY IT IN YOUR GROCERY STORE.



Amazon offers it as a service for people who CAN'T get it locally. Think about that. Not everyone lives in a big city.

I've used almond milk for years (I refuse to say how many!)and this is excellent. I drink both the vanilla and the plain, unsweetened version and find it to have a smooth, creamy feel and light, delicious almond taste. It's not overpowering, but it's certainly almond. I use it for warm drinks, in cakes, and to make instant puddings for my spouse. It sets up firmly and quickly, and he loves the flavour. I also love the taste cold, with cookies! And, my cats like it better than cows' milk.

This is to the holy cow person who says shame on Amazon. Don't you really mean shame on you? True, Blue Diamond charges only $22.95, but you did not say the rest, they also charge a WHOPPING $17.83 for shipping, which comes to a grand total of $40.78.

That's why it pays to have Amazon Prime. For a little over $6 a month, you get free shipping for anything amazon sells. 2 day fedex at that!!!! If I want Blue Diamond to send it to me in 2 days, the charge a disgusting fee of $49.36 + $22.95(product). I sure hope people have enough sense to not listen to your foolish advice!!! Buyers beware of the holy cow - batman person! Kudos to Amazon! I love their Prime package!!!

Because I think it is important to know what is in Almond Milk, the nutritional info is included below. I do want to add that I believe that small changes can make a huge difference in speeding up weight loss. Walk the extra 1/2 mile and substitute lower fat and calorie foods and beverages, don't feel starved, and you can still lose weight effectively - compared to crash diets, lowered metabolism and the likelihood that a return to a sane diet will pack on the pounds (due to that lower metabolism). So how much better is almond milk than regular? If you do the math, you'll see that almond Milk has 1/2 to 1/4 the calories of milk (for an 8 ounce serving). Like chocolate? Get their chocolate flavored version and save even more.



I'm also on a medication that makes it harder to lose weight but I still was successful as long as I tweaked my diet and kept exercising.



I often crave both chocolate and peanut butter, having the vanilla and chocolate versions of this milk really helped with those cravings. There is another nifty product, found here on Amazon, which also goes a long way when it comes to cutting fat and calories. Since I sometimes use it with almond milk, I'm giving it a mention: PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter - 85% Less Fat and Calories - 6.5 Oz, which also comes in chocolate. Add it to almond milk and you either have a peanut butter flavored milk or a chocolate peanut butter milk. If you buy the unsweetened version of almond milk ( a mere 40 CALORIES a glass), you can add your diet sweetener of choice but I really don't mind the lack of sweetener.



Unlike milk, I don't have lactose intolerance, pain, and bloating with this. That is a HUGE plus right there!



Okay, here is the nutritional rundown and please note that I'm only including those items that contain significant amounts of recommended daily values or percentages suggested per day:

Calories: 40



Calories from fat : 30 (but compare that to whole milk) Also, if you mainly follow a low fat diet, you can work this into your daily plan, making sure your fat remains at 30% or less of your total calories. The nutrition label notes that the fat in this milk is only 5% of the daily total recommended per day for the average person.



NO saturated fat, trans fat, polyunsaturated fat, monounsaturated fat or cholesterol



Sodium 180mg



Potassium 190mg (5% Dietary Fiber 1g



Sugars 0g



Protein 1g



Daily Value:

Vitamin A 10%



Vitamin C 0%



Iron 20%



Vitamin E 25%



Vitamin B12

Phosphorous 10%



Zinc 20%



Copper 25%

I switched from soy mild to almond breeze just to try it out. It is wonderful.

the unsweetened is great for diabetics. It also only has 40 calories. It holds you for hours. I have a chocolate frosty in the morning (sometimes included is a half of banana with a large cup of crushed ice and 1 scoop of protein powder.) It takes like a milk shake.

I love this stuff to mix with whey protein powder and amazing grass chocolate superfood. It makes a tasty shake that is smooth and frothy and packed with nutrition. My boyfriend, who has a horrendous diet, has taken to almond milk, which has led him to check out other healthy possibilities. He's discovered healthy can be delicious. I love the convenience of getting 12 at a time because we do go through it fast. I think this is a very good price, given the convenience. I think it's a little less expensive through Amazon than at my local store. It's also nice to be able to store an extra 12-pack just in case.

as a blue diamond almond breeze milk, unsweetened vanilla devotee, i was very pleased to find this online. at the time, i was unable to find it in the stores. also, under any conditions, i like to have some of the item that needs no refrigeration on hand in case of emergencies, like snowstorms. i am not one to stand in grocery store lines to get milk and bread. also, if i had been required to pay shipping costs, i definitely would not have ordered it. the price would have been too steep. - Milk Substitute - Dairy-free - Dairy Free - Health'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Hungrygirl Recommends - dairy-free, milk substitute dairy-free Hungrygirl Recommends - dairy-free, milk substitute