Sunday 5 September 2010

Emergency Lighting - lantern, duel fuel lantern


I camp 4-5 times a year, a total of 14-15 days total. Every night, I have a lantern going for at least 2-3 hours while the family plays games, reads, or talks. If you use a propane lantern, you'll go through 16 oz. propane tanks every few days -- at $3.99 a pop.



Or, if you have a lantern like this, you can fill a gallon can once a year with unleaded gas at $3.00 (current price in Aug 2006). I have two of these -- and they'll pay for themselves within a couple of years... if you can keep your neighbors from borrowing them! Coleman Two-Mantle Dual Fuel Powerhouse Lantern

C. Anderson was right on - a gallon of gas would last a LONG time with this lantern. I specifically bought it to avoid those silly propane tanks, and white lantern fuel is very expensive. This lantern is very bright, and the fuel last a long time even when it's fully cranked.

The usual loud hiss of the traditional coleman lantern is missing but what takes its place is a quiet whisper of sound. We were very pleased with this lantern and our only complaint is the small matchlight hole. The common butane lighters are too big to fit through the matchlight hole. You need a fireplace match to reach the mantles because a regular match will not reach.

I purchased the Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern to use mostly for emergency use. You see, I moved back to Oklahoma from Southern California back in August 2005. In the first two years back here, my wife and I experienced the 2nd worst flood the city has ever had (luckily it did not reach our house), a tornado touched down five mile north of us killing about 12 people, and the worst disaster was an ice storm in December 2007 that made us lose our power for nine straight days, read NO POWER & NO HEAT. We lost some food we had in the freezer in the garage. So I was made fully aware of the fact that I was not as prepared for such things as I should be. I've since purchased a 5000 Watt generator (compliments of the government rebate check a year or so ago), an LED lantern for use inside the house, two 10,000 BTU kerosene heaters to keep us warm, and to make our emergency preparations a little more complete, a Dual Fuel Coleman 533 single burner stove, to boil water or make coffee, and a Dual Fuel Coleman 295A700 Powerhouse Lantern. I specifically wanted the Dual Fuel Coleman Lantern and stove, because they can run on unleaded gas as well as coleman fuel. My Chevy Truck has a 35 gallon tank on it, that I never let get below 1/2 full, so we should always have available fuel to get through an emergency. I also have several LED flashlights on hand, which last much longer on the batteries that normal incandecent bulb flashlights. I probably have about $[...] wrapped up in all of my emergency gear. After going nine days, freezing cold, and in the dark, with no emergency gear at all, that woke me up. I hope we never need to use this stuff because of an emergency, but if it ever happen again, this time my wife and I will be much better prepared and much more confortable than we were before. Take some advice, get this stuff before you really need it. UPDATE Sept. 2011: I have added some Mountain House freeze dried food to my emergency storage. We have enough food for about 2-3 week for my wife and I. I also have been keeping some extra water too. The Mountain House pouches last 7 years and they just take 16 oz. of boiling water to prepare in about 10 minutes. They taste very good, we have tried several different varieties.

I bought one of these two years ago before a family camping trip. Since then, it's been used quite often for sitting by the firepit in the backyard and also for when we're having outside parties. It even sat for about six months without being used, and the fuel tank was still pressurized (accidentally - I forgot to relieve it before storage, but I was really surprised it held pressure for that long).



I like this one much better than the propane types, I can carry a half a gallon of fuel for a weekend instead of a dozen propane bottles. It seems to be a bit brighter than the propane ones too.



Of all things, be sure to get extra mantles to go with it. If they get damaged or fall off, you won't be able to use the lamp. And add a few drops of oil to the pump to keep the o-rings good and wet every once in a while.

I was in Japan, "Tohoku " I live in, this product is very helpful during the earthquake of March 11. Although the day of power outages, let me reassure the family warm and strong light of this lantern. Thanks to God that my family and I live here now.

To everyone of the victims of the Pacific coast of Aomori Iwate Miyagi Hukushima serious damage is incurred We sincerely sympathy. In affected areas, but still continue to be the lifeline disruption, and recovery as soon as possible, I wish everyone peace of mind.

This lantern, the quality is satisfactory, is less expensive than buying in Japan and fees plus transportation costs. Also, very surprised that within a week of arriving ships.

(This article is for machine translation, please forgive it difficult to understand)

There's a reason why Coleman has been making these 'boring' products for SIXTY YEARS. They are the MOST economical lanterns (and stoves), and the BRIGHTEST lanterns and HOTTEST stoves. When I want to light up a campsite with 6 tents full of YMCA adventure guides, I pump up this lantern, light it, and hoist it 8 feet in the air. Then I can put away my 12v 8xD 2-bulb flourescent lamp. A gallon of Coleman white-gas (naptha) fuel has lasted us for 3 years of camping (about 12 campouts or 24 days/nights total - cooking and using this lantern.)



This lamp gives enough light to throw a football or frisbee a decent distance (30 ft) at night.



Best of all : EVERYONE ELSE WILL BE JEALOUS !!!

Purchased this coleman lantern for our daughter and son in law after he was called to be scoutmaster. Also for emergency use as they live in an area where weather poses a risk factor at times resulting in power outages, etc., with the added advantage of being dual fuel as in emergency situations coleman fuel is not always available. As usual the Coleman quality is there and it is reliable and works well. - Coleman Lantern - Duel Fuel Lantern - Lantern - Emergency Lighting'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Emergency Lighting - lantern, duel fuel lantern duel fuel lantern Emergency Lighting - lantern, duel fuel lantern