Monday 6 September 2010

Construction Staplers - nail gun, reconditioned tools


I have to start by saying...if a product is available reconditioned, I'm all for it. I'm an avid buyer of anything from CPO sites, when product available. The Bostitch MIIIFS flooring stapler was unbelievable and I kick myself for not buying one for an earlier flooring project. As a DIYer, I've put in almost a thousand sq ft of brazilian cherry, using a manual nailer...uggh. I wasn't going to do that again when doing some pine in the upstairs. Ok, pine is MUCH softer than cherry, but, having to swing into a piece of pine also has a much higher chance of damaging the edges, so I wanted something that would drive the fastener (staples in this case) without alot of hammer swing.

I thought to myself...well, probably won't hold as well using staples as the barbed nails on my manual nailer...wrong. If anything, the staples hold much better. I had a couple pieces of the pine during this last project that required pulling up a piece I had stapled...it destroyed the edge (tore out) but left the staples in place. I suspect the staples may be cement (or similarly) coated to help adhesion. I'm sold on staples and this has consistently been the tool of choice by pros among the forums.

You won't be disappointed with this item...and when you are done with it...they hold value well and sell quite easily on various selling lists and online auctions. Factory-Reconditioned Bostitch U/MIIIFS 1-1/2-inch to 2-inch Pneumatic Flooring Stapler

I bought this stapler to install multiple rooms of BR111 7/16" Santos Mahogany flooring. I was skeptical after receiving it whether it would work with the 7/16" flooring, but figuring it was the industry standard in flooring staplers, I went ahead and gave it a try.



It did not come with an compressor attachment fitting - the fitting was 3/8" NPT, not 1/4" like my compressor. I went to Lowe's and purchased a 3/8 to 1/4" reducing fitting, then added a swivel 1/4" NPT male connection. This really helped and for $3 I solved the vexing problem of the twisted air hose.



My flooring has very thin tongues on it and is susceptible to splitting. When I fired up the compressor I started at 80 PSI and this split nearly every tongue. With some test pieces, I found the 70 PSI on my compressor seemed to be the right setting. I still had some split tongues, but any less and it did not drive the staple deep enough.



I bought a box of 5,000 staples from Fasteners USA - they advertised no shipping cost, and the box of 5,000 was only $30. The box of 1,000 nails from Amazon.com was $16. Because the shipped from Modesto, CA, just east of the SF Bay area where I live, they arrived in 2 days. I have several more rooms to go, so it was a good buy. [...]



When I got started all seemed well until I had my first partially driven staple. It likely hit a screw that is holding down the subfloor. As expected, these are a beast to pull out - it's good to know that. These can be pulled out with the right type of tool Channellock 35-250 10-Inch Concretor Nipper, but you risk scratching the floor or breaking off the tongues. I learned this the hard way. Even when I had to remove a defective board, it was tough to pull out the whole staple without cutting it off using the nippers. The best solution: use a Dremel tool with an abrasive cutoff wheel. It can get right down next to the tongue, and even cut under the tongue if needed. This worked wonders cutting the staple off flush with the tongue, leaving the tongue and the board undamaged. You can then put a new staple in to the side of the original, and the next groove fits over the tongue perfectly. Until I discovered this, each time I hit a screw, it was a 10-20 min delay to cut if off to an acceptable height where it did not interfere with the next row of floor. This really sucked time. I would highly advocate you have a Dremel or other similar tool if you use this stapler - you will save yourself so much time.



Flooring installation is just board by board. There is no magic here - it's hard work and takes time. I doubled my installation progress the 2nd day, and it got easier after that.



Back to the stapler - it is a solid device and works very well. No hint of it being refurbished, except for the Bostitch emblem that came off - it was held on by double sided tape.

After looking at local hardware stores for a new hardwood floor stapler, we found this one on Amazon for hundreds of dollars less than the new ones; even cheaper quality new ones were way more expensive than this reconditioned Bostitch was. We received the stapler within 2 days of ordering and have used it to install the hardwood floors in our home. The stapler looked like brand new when we received it. We have installed 1,000' of maple flooring thus far, and the stapler performed perfectly. It never jammed, it never misfired. It was a great tool and made installing the floors a breeze. It's still a lot of work, as you have to pound the stapler with the hammer each time to fire it, but it's much easier than doing it manually. The floors look beautiful. We still have another 1,000' of floor to install on the second floor, but we're confident the stapler will continue to perform as it did for the first part.

Just recieved my hardwood flooring stapler it arrived in less than 72 hours after i ordered it. I am glad that I did not buy the brand new one at Home Depot. Saved myself over $200 and this one looks brand new and works perfect. I also noticed that it is warranted just as if I bought one off the shelf. I will continue to buy from CPO Bostitch.

Pros:

1. Amazon shipped it fast.

2. It is a stapler.



Cons:

1. This is not a RECONDITIONED. It is a terribly used, uncleaned, stained, malfunctional unit with missed accessories.

2. I bought tons of stuff from Ebay, Amazon, Craigslist and other place. When something that is stated as refurbished or reconditioned, it is in reasonable condition. I don't expect them to be brand new, although most decent manufacturers repair and clean the item to almost brand new. Bostitch doesn't. If I put what I received on Craiglist today, I would say "six out of 10", in terms of condition; or something like "extensively used, but might still in working order".

3. Any piece of paper in my trash box is in a better condition that the document that came with the item. - Nail Gun - Cpo Bostitch - Reconditioned Tools - Staplers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Construction Staplers - nail gun, reconditioned tools staplers Construction Staplers - nail gun, reconditioned tools