Monday 6 September 2010

1080p - 40 inch hdtv, 120hz


I purchased this TV to replace a 2006 LG plasma that went out of commission. It was going to cost $300-350 to fix it so why not spend a little extra for a brand new TV... Overall extremely happy with the TV, it was a very good value for the price.



1) Picture quality - of course compared to the old LG plasma, the picture quality of fantastic. Rich colors, very little glare on the screen, pretty good viewing angle. I looked at this and several other Samsung models at a local electronics store, and I honestly could not tell much difference between this model and some of the higher-end models in terms of just the picture. I was specifically interested in the D550, which is about $100 cheaper since it is 60 Hz, but the D630 did have a small but noticeable improvement in fine details especially with moving objects. I also thought about the D5500 but to me there was not much difference between LCD and LED all else being equal. I can see why LED would be attractive for people who plan to hang it on the wall, but if you are going to let it sit on a stand you can't really appreciate how thin it is anyway. Made more sense to spend the extra $100 for 120 Hz than LED.



2) Sound quality - so so, but what do you expect from a TV. It is good for regular TV viewing, I really like the "clear voice" mode which lets you hear conversations easily without cranking up the volume. The TV speakers sound a little thin or hollow if you are watching a movie.



3) Other features - remote works fine, nothing particularly good or bad. TV stand swivels, which is good. Connectivity is good, 4 HDMI and 2 USB are more than enough for me. It does not have built in wireless, which didn't matter for me since my router usually sits under the TV anyway so I just hook up the ethernet cable if I needed internet connection. No web browser or apps, which again would have been pretty useless for me since I can get all of that through my PS3. I tried the Allshare feature to stream videos from my computer to the TV. It works okay but I find it easier to just connect my portable hard drive to the TV. Samsung LN40D630 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV (Black) - 40 Inch Hdtv - 120hz'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


1080p - 40 inch hdtv, 120hz 40 inch hdtv 1080p - 40 inch hdtv, 120hz