Friday 27 August 2010

Milwaukee 18v Lithium-ion


A Home Improvement contractor for 25 years, I've had the pleasure of working with quality tools built by Milwaukee. Just about 18 months ago I had purchased the 18volt cordless tool kit with saw, hatchet sawzall, drill, and flashlight. Again, I have been loving these tools to no end. Batteries wear out, but thought Milwaukee would last longer. These are fairly expensive to keep replacing.....As long as the tools will do their job, I will continue to provide them with new batteries. These tools are superior. And so, after 18 months, both batteries needed to be replaced. Fortunately, Amazon.com sells the 2 pack for less than 2 individual...it's a great deal. Milwaukee 48-11-2232 Value Pack 18-Volt 2.4 Amp Hour NiCad Slide Style Battery, 2 Pack

I bought the 18 volt combo kit and i had three batteries with it and after a year all thee batteries have died.I have the same thing in a makita and the batteries are over two years old and none have died.I bought another set of batteries for the milwaukee and those batteries are dying.I will never buy another milwukee product with batteries.I'll stick to makita.Milwaukee 18 volt batteries are the worst!!

I will agree with the other reviewers...If you are considering a cordless tool purchase, make Makita your choice. I have owned DeWalt and Milwaukee kits, as well as a variety of Makita tools, and without question the Makita will outperform the others. I don't know what the engineers at Milwaukee were thinking when they marketed that 18-volt line. It will long be a blemish on the reputation of Milwaukee Tools, considering the fine line of tools produced by that manufacturer.

(...)

The Milwaukee batteries are bad, but no worse than Dewalt and the rest. Bosch with their new "Bluecore" may be better. For those of us who already own Milwaukee or others, there is still an answer. Two companies that I know of, Batteries Plus, and VoltMan, will rebuild these with batteries that last much longer. The replacement cells have a slightly lower amp hour rating, may well be underrated as they seem to have at least all the torq of the originals. I am sure there are more other companies who can rebuild the battery packs as well, but these are the 2 I know of. They take your battery pack and rebuild it using all new cells. Voltman is less expensive, but Batteries Plus may have a store in your area so they may be more convenient for you...



Update:



While wildly more expensive, you can change over to Lithium Ion batteries which hold a charge for a year, and unlike Ni Cads do not die if not charged monthly. For home users who only use their tools every few months, they are the way to go. Amazon has them listed as:



Milwaukee 48-11-1833 V18 Multi-Pack 18-Volt and 28-Volt Lithium-Ion Charger with 2 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Batteries Combo Pack



The charger must be purchased as Ni Cad chargers will damage Lithium Ion batteries. The charger in this set can be used to charge Lithium Ion and Ni Cad batteries though.

I have nothing new to add, these batteries suck and die within a matter of a few months! I'm a moderate user of my milwaukee 18v drill, and the cost to keep operating it only in the price of batteries is out of control!

I've been unhappy with the lifespan of the 18v Milwaukee batteries. Compared to my Makita batteries, the Milwaukees last only half as long or less, before they won't take a charge anymore.



Too bad, because I really like the 18v Milwaukee circular saw and the 18v Hatchet recip saw. Rather than purchase new batteries from Milwaukee, I'm going to try having the old ones rebuilt and see if that improves their performance.

Though I did not buy brand new 18v Milwaukee batteries from Amazon (yet) more customers need to be aware their Ni-Cad 18v series has major issues. I bought a multipiece kit, impact wrench, and one extra battery. Not 10 months later, ALL batteried began losing charge in a matter of days to the point the charger would not recharge them they were so dead. No other brand of Ni-Cad's have done this. NOT ONE. And I have 3 other brands, and one generic American Gardner 18v bush trimmer battery.



Milwaukee 18v batteries are complete junk, and not worth a dime.



Look for their 18v lithium series though. Since I have their tools aready, I dont have much choice but to pay (what I'm sure to be) an insanly high price for one.

I have purchased many contractor grade tools in the past 10 years. Without a doubt, these batteries (all 6!) are the worst purchases I have made. My 18-volt drill runs great, if only I did not have to blow $80 on a new battery every 4 months. I give up... I am going with Makita. No complaints from my friends on the job site with Makita drills and impact drivers.

I hope Milwaukee tools reads your reviews about their batteries. Mine last about a year under light to moderate usage. Makita batteries last about 3 years!! I will not buy another Milwaukee battery powered tool!!



S. Duke'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Milwaukee 18v Lithium-ion Milwaukee 18v Lithium-ion Milwaukee 18v Lithium-ion