Wednesday 4 August 2010

Martial Arts Fitness - stretching, fitness


It's not a *bad* book about stretching, and does contain some 200 exercises--even if half of them are about as complex as 'lace your fingers together, palms out, and push your hands away from your body' (my paraphrase).



What really bothers me, though, is a pair of problems:



First, the book mentions almost casually that static stretching (touch your toes and hold the position) has almost no correlation with functional stretching (how high can you side kick?). In the next paragraph it states quite clearly that martial artists should be focused on improving functional stretching--that static stretching is largely useless except for rehabilitation.



Now, even if that *isn't* poppycock--which I'm not qualified to judge, but it does sound flaky--one would think that this book, intended for martial artists, would therefore proceed to focus on other kinds of stretching. No: the vast majority of the exercises are static stretches. So either the advice is flawed or the book's target audience is wrong.



A second issue is PNF stretching. The book goes to some effort to push PNF as the most effective, best stretching technique: over and over, the refrain is that one should work towards incorporating PNF stretching into your workout as soon as is feasible (it's not for beginners).



But just as soon as you've become convinced of the benefits of PNF stretching, the book goes on to state--and here I'll quote--"Because PNF stretching requires detailed hands-on instruction and guidance, PNF stretching variations are not included in the exercise descriptions". In other words, the book says pretty clearly, "This is what you want, and this book doesn't describe it."



I'm disappointed that I bought this book, and can't say I'd recommend it to others. Ultimate Flexibility: A Complete Guide to Stretching for Martial Arts

If you have been doing martial arts for a while you probably won't learn any new exercises but you will truly understand not only why they work, but more importantly how to make the most of them. Important anatomical information is distilled in a way that just about anyone can readily understand and use. This book is well laid-out and illustrated effectively to convey the information. It is holistic and thorough. Although at my age I will probably never be able to do the splits, it has measurably improved my flexibility. Great book!



Lawrence Kane

Author of Surviving Armed Assaults, The Way of Kata, and Martial Arts Instruction

Ultimate flexibility is an excellent book for those who practice the martial arts, regardless of their current flexibility level. It's even great for those who don't. My wife (who doesn't practice martial arts) joins me for flexibility exercises and enjoys the workout quite a bit.



The book is divided to 3 main categories.



The first chapters deal with the scientific background. What are the mechanisms behind flexibility; what can be improved; what are the limitations; and what are the potential hazards for the un-educated, practicing flexibility. It details the major muscle groups and explains the benefit of having each flexible. It has good suggestions in terms of keeping workout logs and setting goals.



The second part has actual flexibility exercises, all clearly explained along with a photo for each. Some exercises are presented with a few alternatives-- easier versions and harder versions.



The third and last part suggests flexibility workouts. That is, what a workout should include depending on your background and goals.



Ultimate Flexibility has helped my flexibility tremendously. It's educational, clear and concise and most importantly, motivating. I now look forward for some time off so I can go out and practice some flexibility.



Bravo.



- Petel

My first time writing a review for anything on this website... But I felt that this book does not get the attention it deserves. I am no martial artist - I just wanted to find a book that would give me all the information I need about attaining greater flexibility. This book has it all - advice, scientific discussion (and I don't mean a page filled with meaningless terms - the author really tries to explain it well), quick guides and sample workouts, and of course, a wide range of stretches with pictures. It even helps you optimize your stretching routines so you spend less time on it!The only shortcomings I can think of are lack of information on PNF stretching, and perhaps not being really martial-arts oriented (although it's a positive for me)Just don't forget - this book gives you the bricks - it's up to you to put in the time and make something out of them

The book could just be called "Ultimate Flexibility" without the reference to martial arts in the title.



I bought the book as a novice in martial arts, but this is a good, general guide to stretching, period. For us martial artists it has the bonus of letting us know which stretches help for higher kicks and deeper splits, but for those who aren't into this particular sport, it is still a great general guide for incresing flexibility.



I really think of it as two books. The first chapters cover the how and why of stretching, and I find these make good reading material when just relaxing and reading something interesting. The back chapters are the actual stretches and are the "instruction manual" that you keep handy as you work out or develop your own stretching routine.

This book has a lot of different stretches in it but nothing tageted towards specific movements. I need to improve my Side Kick height but I can't really gather from the book what I should focus on. I also bought the DVD which has some workouts and is a better deal.



If you really want to work on your splits you should buy "Stretching Scientifically". That book is awesome and I must say very painful but the results are fantastic. It also explains exactly how all the muscles interact and how some of the strecthes in "Ultimate Flexability" are actually doing you more harm than good.



Bill 2nd Dan Black Belt TKD - Stretching - Tae Kwon Do - Fitness - Flexibility'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Martial Arts Fitness - stretching, fitness tae kwon do Martial Arts Fitness - stretching, fitness