Thursday 17 June 2010

Large Screen - tomtom, portable vehicle gps


I am writing this review in the hopes that it might save others some of the difficulty I've had setting up this GPS Navigator. There are many great features inherent in the 2535 TM WTE, which are discussed in these reviews and which I won't repeat. That does not imply that I dislike or prefer another unit. My issue has been associated with the update function of "MyTomTom" software. The original unit I purchased from Amazon.com and the subsequent replacement unit both failed after connecting and completing an update through MyTomTom on my home computer as the instructions directed. (not that it is part of the issue, but for reference, I am using a Mac running Mac OS X ver-10.6.7). On both occasions after the update completed there were no longer maps found on the 2535, and map updates are not yet available for this unit online. I spoke to TomTom tech support who tried their best to deal with the problem, but could only offer to replace the units. Today, with the second replacement unit, I contacted TomTom support prior to running an update to make sure I should be doing this. Fortunately the tech support person told me they are having problems with updates through MyTomTom and these units and suggested I not complete an update until the updating software is fully functional. He mentioned they have been experiencing the same problems I've described. I think the 2535TM WTE is a great unit with many excellent features and hopefully will be more functional once the online software is fully developed. It's regrettable that it is not at this point, but again, others have voiced their opinions in that regards. I will say that the TomTom support people tried very hard to fix the issues I was having. I've concluded they only became aware of the root of the problem recently.



On another note, I can't speak highly enough about the service and support Amazon.com have provided regarding this purchase. Their concern for these problems was genuine and without question they went above and beyond the normal response to remedy them. This, in part, is why I am writing this review. In the hopes that, not only will I save other customers the hassels I've dealt with, but to prevent inconveniences and needless returns on the part of Amazon. In my opinion, Amazon provides excellent service. TomTom GO 2535TM 5-Inch Portable Bluetooth GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic & Maps

First things first. I've been a Garmin guy since 2000 and have owned several Garmins. So I base my review on my comparison of features against Garmins. I've also used this unit for the past month in the US for a trip from Dayton, Ohio to St. Louis, Missouri and also in Europe so I've put it through it's paces.



PROS:

- Lifetime Traffic and Maps (No lifetime maps for Europe though). Don't understand why not, but that's the deal.

- IQ routes...money and a common sense feature

- Quick startup; gets right to business and GPS acquisition is pretty quick

- Traffic feature is accurate and detailed (shows animated/colored traffic congestion on maps). You can set it to recalculate route automatically if TomTom determines the route you're on, with the delays included, is too long. Nice feature. It will even tell you verbally whether or not you're still on the fastest route in case you weren't sure.

- Seems to have everything I can search for in it's list of POIs. Much better than Garmin's in this area and much more relevant.

- POIs show up on map as you drive, i.e. no wondering if there's a gas station along your route because you can see the icon miles ahead before you reach it. You can even tell it to alert you within so many yards with customizable alerts.

- Tons of customization options. Everything maps color prefs, warning sounds to safety settings. If you're techy, and you like to dig through each option available, it will probably take a good 20 min to get a good grip on all that features.

- Speed warning. I've seen GPS that put the speed info on their units, but this shows max speed compared with yours and ties it in to a warning sound that's customizable. Window where speed is displayed goes red too if you go over 3mph over the limit. Good if you have a wife with a lead foot. ;) If the sound annoys you, you can choose not to have it.

- The status bar on the bottom of the GPS is customizable and you can choose what features you want on it from the list of choices available.

- Magnetic mount is AWESOME!! Clearly above Garmin and past TomTom models. It clicks in place easily and is solidly locked in until you pull it off. The power cord itself it also magnetic in how it interfaces the unit.

- Beautiful 5 inch screen. Thought it would be too big since I've always had 4x3 GPS', but it's great.



CONS:

- Maps on the TomTom aren't as accurate as Garmin's, but you can correct the maps. You can change POI locations, speeds/directions of the roads and the list goes on....AWESOME feature!! If you go to a POI and it's not there or moved, change it. You're not stuck with it. You can also get other users updates to your TomTom aside from the company's changes.

- Compared to the Garmins, Favorites aren't the same. On a Garmin you can have an unlimited amount of Favorites and you can change the name, icon, phone number and category. On this TomTom, there can be only ~90 Favorites...ever!! And of those, you can edit the name and place into groups...and that's about it. No phone number?? No custom icon? Why? TomTom instead uses POIs like Garmin uses it's Favorites in that you can have an unlimited amount of POIs, but the same limitations of icons/phones/etc still exist. Bummer. In addition, the POIs while very extensive aren't grouped like Garmin. For example, want Chinese food? On a Garmin, you look under Restaurants/Chinese/search. On TomTom, Restaurants/search. Big pain because unless you recognize the name, you won't know if you're getting restaurant type you're looking for. Dumb not to have them categorized.

- On a Garmin you can simply select the car on the map to save the current lat/long as a Fav. On a TomTom, it's a couple of layers into the menu before you can do it. Bit of a pain. I also noticed that it didn't want to save a location if I was off a road. Got the error message, poor satellite reception even though I was in a parking lot?? On a main road, no prob.

- MyTomTom is VERY limiting. You can upload the latest maps/updates, but at the time of this review, no ability to add additional car icons, no ability to add additional voices, no way to customize startup/shutdown images, no way to customize really much of anything. I was able to upload some converted Garmin waypoints through the software so that was good. MyTomTom does say it will be adding more capabilities later. Hopefully they follow through.

- I was hoping for the ability to point at an upcoming POIs on the map and it would ask if I wanted to route to it, but no go. If you touch the screen, it takes you into the menus. You can get into the menus and do just what I said, but it's deep in the menus and the view is 2D. When you're driving, it's just not safe to mess with the menus to try and get to this feature.

- While the unit gets to the main page quick at startup, I've noticed the unit is sluggish right at first and takes a couple of seconds to go from one thing to another. Compared to a Garmin, the TomTom is slower. However, the TomTom does calculate routes very quickly with a great summary of the route before it starts routing.

- When you miss a turn, you don't hear anything. It just reroutes. I personally like to know I hosed up the turn, but that's me. The reroute is very quick though.

- Was hoping that with Bluetooth, I would be able to sync POIs with other TomToms, but so far I have yet to see that option.



Overall, solid GPS with tons of features, but not without it's compromises. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fully featured GPS, but if technology is daunting to you and you just want to get from point A to point B choose a Garmin. This TomTom is for the person who not only want to get to a destination, but want's to be "plugged" in to all what's going on and enjoys getting the data that this GPS offers. It's a very good GPS with a great amount of information provided to the user. If that sounds like something you like, this GPS is for you. - Portable Vehicle Gps - Tomtom - Gps - Bluetooth'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Large Screen - tomtom, portable vehicle gps portable vehicle gps Large Screen - tomtom, portable vehicle gps