Thursday 3 June 2010

First Person Shooter - xbox 360, video games


I've gotten burned out on the Call of Duty series, so a co-worker recommended I pick up Battlefield: Bad Company 2. I must say, this game has exceeded my expectations in almost every way: the team play is rock solid, the "new" game style (new for me) is refreshing, and the vehicles, in my opinion, are quite possibly one of the best parts of the game (though I REALLY DO wish the developers would add some kind of portable, self-guided AA weapon, like a Stinger or Javalin missile). This has to be one of the most realistic military shooters I've played in a while. I especially like how the bullets drop due to gravity (which makes sniping a bit more challenging, yet *a lot* more gratifying when you can get that long distance head shot). There are, however, a couple of things I dislike about the game, so let me get those out of the way first, before I state some of the reasons why BF:BC2 is one of *the most* entertaining shooters of this year.



First off, I have no idea why the developers didn't add the ability to go prone. In real life, if someone is shooting at you, you're first reactions are probably going to be to drop to the ground to make your silhouette as small as possible. I understand how this might make "camping" a bigger issue, but there are so many things in the game that seem to discourage it (including the fact that the maps are so large), that I feel it shouldn't have been an issue. Another thing I found odd, is that unlike most games, there is no button or "action" to climb through windows. Not a huge problem, but definitely inconvenient at times (one work-around is to jump on the window sill, and then crouch to go through it, but it's tricky and takes a little practice). Finally, I wish that you could "take cover" and peek around corners (much like you can in Gears of War), though I guess that's just one of those "niceties" that are a personal preference. Anyways, on to the good parts.



Right off the bat, I think one of the many things I find appealing about BC2 (especially when compared to CoD: MW2) is how they quasi-limit what each class can equip, which I feel like prevents people from creating "super troopers" that can dominate the entire game. Speaking of which, something that used to *drive me nuts* is how it seemed like one person could win the entire match for their team (which has never made sense to me). In Battlefield BC2, it relies on, and fairly generously rewards especially in reguards to your own squad, the team players (as in those players who perform actions that benefit the team), which is much more realistic than everyone trying to go in like some kind of Rambo/Bourne "Army of One" (just ask anyone in the military and they'll tell you that is they first thing they train you not to do). Although it requires a different mindset from most First Person Shooters (and just FYI, it definitely helps if you have a squad full of friends you can talk to, instead of some random PUG), I've seen it work on many occasions, and in my opinion, creates a much more interactive and interesting game. Secondly, the destructible buildings are a HUGE win. Although it can suck when you're trying to take cover in a building that all of a sudden comes crashing down on you, it adds another layer of realism to an already immersive environment. Finally, I *really* like how intuitive and easy they made the game for linking up with your friends in multiplayer. I would have to argue that it's one of the best interfaces I've seen lately, making it very easy to start a squad with your friends and then connect to a game together, or you can just pick up in the middle of whatever game/squad they're already in (assuming, of course, there's room).



All in all, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 has definitely changed the way I think about and view what a FPS (and for that matter, a military-styled FPS) should be. I think this game has raised the bar, and hopefully set the standard, as to what is possible in a vast, multifaceted, interactive world where you almost feel like you're in the middle of a real war. I was very tempted to give this game 5 stars, but I'm pretty selective/picky when it comes to giving out "perfect scores", and feel that there were enough (very) minor issues to prevent me from doing so; however, if I could give it a 4.9, I would. If you're looking for an alternative to the repetative "run & gun" shooters that a lot of companies seem to be trying to emulate and/or imitate, I *highly* recommend you pick up Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and give it a try. Battlefield Bad Company 2 Ultimate Edition

I've been playing this game for a little over 2 months now and so far it still delivers every single day. I play mainly on line with other people through the Rush and Conquest modes. Even though the maps do repeat on a daily basis, there are now about a dozen maps to play, and because they are so big, and because every player uses different tactics, the game is never the same twice.



The graphics are still IMHO better than the on line version of CoD Black Ops and the play is still more realistic as far as I am concerned. Buildings crumble or can be demolished. A huge assortment of weapons keeps gameplay very entertaining and I often find myself going back to some of the earliest weapons available in play just so I can get more points killing. (there is an objective to this game in multiplayer other than just killing for points)



A new map pack 7 was just released with 4 new great maps and the Vietnam expansion is coming on December 21st. I simply can't wait and will probably spend my entire Christmas weekend playing on my xBox.



For those that don't know, the on line experience can be played with as little as one or two people a team, though the game allows up to 12 people per side. Each "team" can be broken up into groups of 4 called squads. Squad members can chat with each other and spawn off each other in the game. if the squad is a good one, they will typically have one of each type of character. (Recon, Medic, Assault, and Engineer) Having a multitude of characters enables the best fighting IMHO because people can more easily "cover your back" As an example:



Medic the medic typically carries a machine gun that holds a very large capacity of bullets. This is exceptional for clearing out large numbers of enemies who may be spawning off each other. When other guns are used, one sometimes has to stop to reload and gets killed. the medic also carries a defib device and can revive teammates who have gotten killed. (or kill enemies with it)



Engineer, the engineer can carry around anti vehicle weapons and plant tracer darts so other team members can more easily shoot down choppers and identify enemy vehicles. the engineer can also plant anti tank mines, which work great for destroying heavy armor. The engineer can also use his repair tool to effectively repair vehicles in battle.



Assault, The assault person generally carries a machine gun and a pile of grenades, though depending on the weapon chosen, the assault person can carry large amounts of C4 which is great for blowing up anything and everything including building, vehicles, A and B objectives, or even people. The assault person can also drop ammo packs which re-supply the others on your team and in your unit.



Recon, this is the last of 4 and in no way is this charater any less important. The recon person has a huge choice of weapons available and uses stealth to move around. One weapon might be a long range sniper rifle with scope, or if involved in urban combat, maybe even a shotgun. the recon person can also carry C4 explosives or call in a mortar strike wich is deadly against virtually anything and over time can even destroy buildings. Because of the nature ofthe recon person, this person also often spots enemies for others in the group and "saves" others by sniping enemies who lie in wait to get your teammates.



So there you have it, a brief summary of the play and available characters in the game. At the cuirrent price, it is one heck of a deal and well worthy of getting someone for a gift if they do not yet have this game. Good luck and have fun! - Battlefield - Bad Company - Video Games - Xbox 360'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


First Person Shooter - xbox 360, video games xbox 360 First Person Shooter - xbox 360, video games