Thursday 3 June 2010

Camping - camping, led lantern


It's extremely bright for a compact lantern, and when flipping-over the (cree?) emitter to turn it into a flashlight, you get the widest (as well as extremely bright) 'flood area' I've ever seen in a 'flashlight'. The only drawback (and it's minor), is that it's a little 'wide' to be held comfortably as a flashlight for any length of time. That's due to the diameter needed to house 4 AA batteries. But for shorter durations, its fine. Also, unlike its earlier version that did not allow you to 'flip' the emitter (you unscrewed the top to make it into a flashlight), it's light has a few dark spots (when used as a lanten), because it has a support structure that marginally interferes with the light's uniformity in the lantern mode. But for this price (they were selling for twice as much when they first came out), this is a super, multi-functional device. CREE 185 Lumens Multi-functional LED Lantern and Torch

I'm in Haiti, I've been here for 3 months and I've got another 2 months to go. I use the light every night as I'm sleeping in a tent while doing relief work.



The light works great - I like the switchable lantern-to-flashlight and I've discovered that if I turn the light part of the way I can direct the lantern light in one direction for reading but still keep the light out of my eyes. The amount of light is great - very bright and if you use a plastic grocery bag as a shroud it's great to light the tent for general soft lighting.



The problem with the unit is that the threads on the bottom are too fine/dainty. With the heavy use comes heavy traffic into the battery compartment. The threads are failing. Each time I r/r the batteries I wonder if I will get the bottom screwed back on of it this will be the time it fails completely leaving me with a useless and expensive paperweight in a place where paperweights are completely useless.

First, this lantern also has a smaller brother (http://www.amazon.com/Small-Package-Bright-Camping-Lantern/dp/B002C5BXGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300380204&sr=8-1) that is also great, albeit with a lower lumens rating (110). I have both, and think they're both awesome.



This one has a whiter, and much brighter light than the 110 lumens model. The 110 model is also very bright, but with a light more like an incandescent bulb. This one takes 4AA batteries, the 110 takes 3AA. I use the Eneloop brand NiMH batteries and they last for months of regular use on a single charge. I've never tried standard alkaline batts, so I can't comment on their life.



I love how both these lanterns have a loop on the top that allow suspension in tents, cars, etc. The 185 also has a rotating lens that allows it to be used as a nice directional flashlight. Both these models have metal bodies, and seem very well built. They also have a little green LED light that flashes every 5 seconds - perfect for finding the unit in the middle of the night.



These lights are both money very well spent. I think I can finally stop looking for the perfect camp lights.

This is a very nicely made product. Light is bright. Its size is smaller then I expected. To help others to know this, I up load a picture that sit side by side with a soda can. The reason that I give it 4 stars instead of 5 is that: 1. $30 is a little expensive for this small lantern. 2. I wish it has a softer light.



1/20/2011:

Is "CREE" the stock symbol of this company ? It drops from $72 to $52. Many people must agree with my view: it is too expensive. The company needs to cut cost.

A small, smaller than you probably expect, lantern that doubles as a flashlight. Battery life seems excellent. I have switched to using my own rechargeable AA's after the included set died. The function to switch from a lantern to flashlight is definitely useful as it allows you to carry one device instead of two.



If I had to give a complaint, it would be the color of the light. It's bright white and is definitely on the harsh side. No different than other high-powered LED lights on the market though, whether it be a stronger flashlight or high powered bike light.



I don't regret the purchase though, and would pick up another one if this one was lost. Despite the comments criticizing price, I feel that it a good value at the current Amazon selling price. Yes, there are cheaper options, but they are either larger, less functional, or put out less light.

Update: 5/31/2011

It looks like this item is no longer available. I checked and this item seem to be marketed by multiple sources that just re-brand it... see UCO MightyLite Flip Lantern for something exactly the same that is currently available.



ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I purchased this lantern and a Rayovac SE3DLN Sportsman Extreme 300-Lumen LED Lantern for my mother who has been having power outage issues recently. I liked both lanterns so much that I purchased one of each for myself.



I am very pleased with the improvements in lanterns over the last few years... getting 25 hrs on high and 45 hrs on low for something with 4AA batteries is great. And while the volume of light is not enough to truly fill a room, it is enough such that you can see objects around the lantern clearly and will not trip over items.



I selected this light because it seems sturdy and uses AA batteries, which people (such as my mother) tend to have around the house. Size and weight was also a consideration, I wanted something portable enough that my mother could carry it around the house in the dark easily... leaving a larger, brighter lantern such as the Rayovac as a base unit.



This light has a handy little knob that rotates the lighting unit itself (that is in the top of the lantern) a full 180 degrees such that it is now pointing up out the top of the lantern, effectively turning the light into a flashlight (albeit one with a thick body... no comfortable to use for prolonged periods of time).



If there is a ceiling that can bounce the light down, you can leave the lantern in flashlight mode and project the light up to the ceiling and light up the room that way (not as bright).



Overall really like the light and feel good that my mother has one if the need arises. - Lantern - Flashlight - Led Lantern - Camping'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Camping - camping, led lantern flashlight Camping - camping, led lantern