Thursday 3 June 2010

1080p - led, 32 inch


Did a ton of research on TV's before making a purchase on this set. I settled on this one for a few key reasons.

1)Cnet really likes the quality of Samsung screens

2)I wanted an LED screen because they are thin and sleek, this one has a great look

3)I don't need internet apps because I have an Apple TV (seriously consider this and save some bucks(no hulu though))

4)Almost all the screens I've seen that friends own with 120Hz have that function turned off (soap opera effect)

5)Got a screamin deal off Amazon Warehouse Deals



For all of these reasons, this TV is a great fit for me. I was worried about a few things going into it though.

1)I read a lot about light bleeding in from the edges because of the edge-lit technology. After straight up plug and play for a few weeks now, I am totally pleased with the picture. In frames with all low level blacks, it does have a bit of a hard time blending smoothly though, and eventually I have seen a couple scenes of very low light where there are very very faint white light shadows creeping in from the corners towards the center of the screen. All in all though, it really has only bothered me once or twice, and I was trying to find them. Just watching the screen like a normal viewer, the picture is great.

2)People have complained about poor sound quality. I live in a small studio apartment, so I don't have a sound system, and I was worried about this, but I've found the sound to be totally adequate for my small space. If you are an audiophile in a large living room then you will definitely need a sound system, but you probably have that anyway. I usually have the speakers set to 20-40 out of 100 (increments of 1 are nice).



So for all that and just another couple minor things keep me from rating this a total 5 stars:

1)The remote looks like it was designed for and elderly person. Sure, it's easy to read the buttons and find them, but it looks and feels like one of those big button touch tone phones. Totally functional though, and I basically only use it for volume and source selection.

2)The HDMI inputs are just behind the beveled edge facing out to the right side, so if the cords going in are relaxed, they are visible from the side. I have a cord management piece going behind the center of the screen, so the cords have a little torque on them to turn 180 to get there. Minor inconvenience, but the screen is 1.2 inches thick, and I guess those things have to go somewhere.

3)The box arrived with a gaping hole in it and I could see the screen through it, yikes! I don't know if it left Warehouse Deals like that or if it was a shipping thing, but I thought someone put their foot through it. Turns out everything is fine, whew. Samsung UN32D5500 32-Inch 1080p LED HDTV (Black)

I used to own a 6-series 46" tv by Samsung with 120hz. However, when moving across country, I decided to part ways with it. I decided to use this 32" as a replacement for the time-being until I pick up a larger TV for the living room. For now, this set is in the bedroom and works great as a computer monitor and blu-ray watcher with a home theater setup.



The TV's styling is gorgeous and Samsung knows what it's doing with the Touch of Color looks. this LED is lightweight and would love to have the Samsung wall mount to "hang" it on sometime soon. It is incredibly thin compared to my old CCFL LCD TV.



As far as picture quality, I do not miss the 120hz as much as I thought I would. As many have stated, 120hz adds that weird effect of "too real," which can make lower budget graphics look really fake or acting look sub-par. I HAVE noticed a little clouding and bleeding from the top two corners. However, the only time I ever noticed it was at night with all lights off during credits of a movie and I could see the slight leakage in the top black bar. During the film, I have yet to notice it.



I can't comment on the audio, as I hooked it right up to a 5.1 setup.



I will also say that the connections are ample, yet the placement of the majority of inputs being so close to the edge of the tv (and facing sideways) means that inflexible HDMI cables will have a tough time staying behind the set.



great set overall.

first of all let me say that i'm one of those avsforum trolls who sometimes overanalyze and nitpick sets to death. that being said i was looking for a little 32 inch tv to watch movies, play xbox, and use as a sometimes pc monitor. i have a ln40a750 and a ln46c750. both ccfl because i dreaded the flashlighting and the clouding that the samsungs are notorious for. I had considered the un32d6000 but was scared off by some who reported clouding and flashlighting to a distracting degree. i had also considered the ln32d550 which is the ccfl version of this set. however when the price of this set dropped 75 dollars i had to give it a try



i have to say that i am really really happy with this set. i've tried it gaming and there is no ghosting that others reported with the un40d6000. Also i wanted an led so that i wouldn't have to worry as much about color changes in the backlight over its lifetime vs ccfl. no dead pixels. perfect uniformity meaning no flashlighting from the corners. may seem lighter in tone towards the edges in the dark if you sit too close but perfect from viewing distance. there might be what some might consider very light banding looking at a flat grey field but i have this more pronounced on my ln46c750 and is caused by the coating they use for the ultra clear panel. if you prefer a matte finish i would go with the ln32d550. really really surprised how uniform this set is and very happy. led has a certain look that some might not like but its hard to describe unless you've had both sets in a home setting.



tried with a pc on the vga input and seems to pass the 4:4:4 chroma subsampling test. Try later with dvi and rename input to pc/dvi and see if it passes. It is only 60 Hz but it seems that for the most part only 60hz lcd sets pass this test. I personally never use the 120 hz mode on either of my other sets so this only matters to those who prefer the "soap opera" look to the so called judder. however this set does really well with 24p input. but then i'm not that critical when it comes to that since i'm one of those that think film should like film.



I did no measured lag test but it suffices that i don't really notice any lag playing black ops.



It only comes with a 2 pt grey scale adjustment but then again i find 6500k a little on the green side for my tastes over 3 tvs and two monitors.



i got the h303 version from amazon. not sure which of the two possible panels i got but since it looks just like the h303 set i saw at my local best buy in so cal.



overall a great little multipurpose set with super uniformity. very very happy - 32 Inch - Led'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


1080p - led, 32 inch 32 inch 1080p - led, 32 inch