Thursday 3 June 2010

Dado Blade Set - dado blade set, woodworking


The 7670 dado set replaced a very good Freud SD208. The 7670 set has (6) 4-tooth chippers as opposed to the Freud's (5) 2-tooth chippers. The 7670 also has 24 tooth outside cutters....twice what the SD208 had. The result of the extra teeth is a smoother bottom on dados and rabbets. The SD208 left minor striping marks on the bottom...it's a small issue, but is nice not to have the marks at all. It also seems to make cleaner cuts along the edges.



The shim stock and carrying case are much nicer on the 7670, however the its teeth have smaller carbide than the Freud, and the chippers aren't as massive. Because the chippers are lighter weight due to the lack of any anti-kicback features, the 7670 comes up to speed faster, and allows deeper cuts with less bogging down on my saw....an added benefit I had not expected. Other than being made in China, I have no big issues with the set and am happy that I upgraded. It's design is more similar to dado sets costing over $200. I've been quite happy with the overall performance and especially the great value.



Since Black & Decker purchased Delta well over a year ago, this set is now available under both the DeWalt and Delta logos, which should make it easier to find. DELTA 35-7670 8-Inch Stacked Dado Set

I recently bought this dado set to replace an older set I've had for years.

The dados produced by this set are TRUELY flat bottomed with crisp, clean edges and no scoring marks on the corners. This set is designed for professional use and it shows. The <$200 price tag is just icing on the cake.

I spent some time looking before I bought this set. I found them after I had made up my mind to buy the big D set,from Infinity.

Here is what sealed the deal, for Delta. For whatever it's worth. The chippers have to be lighter, they are not solid round. --Less weight on my lower powered saw. The case is great, it will outlast the blades. Also, the blades, chippers, shims, are well marked, 4 blade chippers not 2 blade, simple instructions, LOWER price, (another deal sealer). And, They cut like they should, Flat bottom. But, I also think it depends on the species of wood, for the cut you get .

So I'm a happy camper, Dadoing away

Right up front I want to say I just received the dado today and have only run a couple sample cuts through scrap redwood, walnut and red oak, BUT so far so good. Smooth bottoms without tearing and accurate 3/8", 1/2" & 5/8" dado cuts. Very clean entry and exit; all in all, everything you'd ask of a quality stacked dado tool.



I originally bought the Freud "super dado" and found it less than super. The tool finish and packaging were substandard, and the dado didn't cut any better than the 20 year old Craftsmen 6" I replaced (this was a brand new tool vs. one used for 20 years). Upon reflection I noted that all of the Freud tools I own that I really think are top notch are the "Diablo" 2nd label products produced in Austria. The Diablo 16 pc. Forstner bit set is particularly superior to just about every other set out there, including Freud's own higher priced HSS and carbide sets.



Delta may have gone to hell in a hand basket in recent years but if this product (out of a ISO factory in China) is any indication of the quality they're capable of producing, don't write them off. Highly recommended at 2/3 the price of Freud. It's not just a good deal, it's a better tool.

I was a bit hesitant to spend $120 for a Dado set, but the Delta Brand won me over. When I received it I was so disappointed to find out it was "just another thing from China" and knew I was going to be disappointed. But, the more I looked it over the more impressed I was with it. Delta seemingly held manufacturing and production to the high standards we have come to expect from Delta with this set! If you want it to be exact, and are willing to merely take the time to set it up (with the variety of blade widths and shims), you can be as perfectly precise as you could ever want! The precision of the grinding cut edges and the level of finish on the set overall does NOT remind of you of the "normal fare" from China we have all seen.



After use and testing: I had to give it at least 4 stars!

NOW, for the rest of the story: All above is basically true...... very nice in many ways, BUT.... I had a couple of good quality wobble blade DADOs for regular use. The "only" problem with the wobble or off-set blade is that the bottom of the trough is not level or flat and leaves some small gaps and uneven cutting. To fix that error you must get a flat set of blades and chippers.

PROBLEM: This 8" set as nice, pretty classy, well packaged, fully precision adjustable for width with 0.005" to 0.020" spacers and all is great..... get this.... You still "might" have irregular gaps and uneven trough bottoms: the side walls and the edges come out perfect; Fine smooth cutting!

I am going to give a second set a try because some of the problems may be related to the threaded shaft on all of our saws. The threads allow the narrower blades to not set quite perfectly or evenly at every location: if so, this problem is NOT related to the saw blades nor the quality of manufacturing. The larger the shaft (5/8") and then the larger the corresponding threads per inch, the more problem with all saws. Delta quality is excellent.

This is an excellent dado set. It has flexible setup with the various choppers and shims. It makes beautiful cuts that are flat bottomed and crisp, very clean side wall cuts. I do fine cabinetry with this blade, it does not disappoint. I used a Sears adjustable wobble blade before this, and it made atrocious cuts by comparison. I could never set the width quite right, and it chewed the wood away like a rat rather than the nice surgical cuts the Delta blade makes. Clearly, this is the difference between a $30 blade and a $150 set like this. I didn't want to spend $280 on some of the high end dado sets out there, so I bought this one as a middle ground expecting some minor flaws I'd just need to live with. I have been pleasantly surprised, not only are there no flaws in the way this dado cuts, but it is easy to use, set up, and the thickness table in the instructions is very handy and serves as a great reference. This blade gets 5 stars from me, I'm not sure what spending another $100 would get me. As a side note, the case is pretty good. Mine has the flimsy wing nuts that broke too, but it still works, and the blades are great. - Dado Set - Woodworking - Dado Blade Set'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Dado Blade Set - dado blade set, woodworking dado set Dado Blade Set - dado blade set, woodworking