Saturday 15 May 2010

Tenergy - rechargeable batteries, tenergy


This is one of those things where if you want something cheap that works well, and don't mind the size or old technology, it is OK.



To qualify that, it is 9" long, 3" thick, and 4" wide. That is a MONSTER for the features this thing has.



It should also be noted that this charger works on a timer circuit. With the switch set to "NiCd" it charges for 5 hours, and with it set to NiMH it charges for 8 hours. The charging is at a set rate, so that means in a given time, it can only put out so many mAh. (it varies by cell size, using different contacts at the center point of different sizes of cells)



Here's a quick example: If you have a AA rechargeable, and you set this charger to "NiMM" it will charge at 250 mA for 8 hours. That is a total charge of 2000 mAh. The problem is that modern AA rechargeables are rated 2400-2650 mAh. So this charger will not give a full charge. A 2650 mAh AA will only end up 76% charged, if it is fully discharged. You can start another charge cycle, but if you don't remember to pull the batteries out part-way into it, you will be overcharging them.



As a simple charger, it works. But battery technology marches on. Capacities get higher. My recommendation is to invest in a peak detecting charger.



I use a Multiplex LN5014, with a battery holder from Radio Shack. Of course that is a $75 charger, and requires a separate power supply. But I'm sure there are other options available in an inexpensive charger. Tenergy T-1199B Universal Ni-MH & Ni-Cd Battery Charger With Timer Control

We've had this charger for 4 - 5 years and it's still going strong. We kinda had doubts given the price but we were wrong!



We use this charger daily for D's, AA's and AAA's. You can charge one battery at a time if need be. It'll do up to 4 D's, 4 C's, 4 AA's, 4 AAA's or 2 9v's. The vendor, the Battery Superstore, has great customer service.



The Tenergy D cells (9000 mah) that we bought with this charger are still going strong - that's after almost daily use.



Update December 2009 - still going strong!

This would have gotten a 5 star if it charged faster. 8 hours is a bit long, but what can I expect for the price. I wish you could charge more than 4 AA or AAA batteries at the same time.



But other than me wanting the world and being too cheap to pay for it, I am happy with this charger. I am considering buying another so I can charge more batteries at the same time. I can purchase two more of these and still save money over the cost of other charging units.

This tech-grrl has a sophisticated fast charger that charges VERY rapidly and is the best thing ever, but I needed a slower charger that charges batteries around 8 hours to initially charge new batteries or ones that've been sitting around disused for some months. The reason is that the batteries will last a lot longer that way. Once charged with this unit I can then use my fast smart charger regularly without burning life out of the batteries. I wouldn't use this charger as the primary one because it charges on a 8 hour or 4 hour timer instead of having a microprocessor that senses when the battery is topped off, so depending on the battery it could be overcharged or undercharged both of which means shorter life.



I've been a profession tech chick for over 20 years and know battery technologies inside out and advise clients about what's best for their applications.

Does a really good job, I've used the charger a few times now. It actually charges the batteries a lot better than other chargers have in the past (AA & AAA). The only thing me at first is the fact that you have to plug it in every time you put in another set of batteries. But, that is necessary for safety purposes so that you can't get shocked easily. Also, I had a tendency to leave other chargers plugged in when not charging batteries so I just eliminated another energy vampire, cool...

I needed a special battery charger for Ni-Cd which I use in my outside patio lights.

I replace these batteries after about a year and the new batteries need to be fully charged before I change them. So I was looking for a cheaper charger as I already have a battery charger (but not for Ni-Cd's). This was a decent looking unit and I thought it would be a cheap plastic alternative to the expensive ones. It turned out that I was extremely surprised at the quality and it actually works great. One of my better purchases value wise. Recharges Ni-Cd and Ni-Mh batteries...not for other types.

I bought a package of the following,



T-1199B Universal Battery Charger With Timer Control + 8 Tenergy D 10000 mAh High Capacity Batteries.

I also bought a package that had just one more 4-cell charger. That way, I could put all eight D-cells on charge simultaneously.



Charging those batteries with the bundled chargers, I became concerned that the batteries are being charged unevenly. I noticed that the batteries felt to have different temperatures, so I measured them all with my (kitchen) infrared non-contact thermometer. Right now, the four D cells in one of the chargers showed these temperatures, Fahrenheit: 110 F, 97 F, 92 F, 88 F. The other charger has four more D cells, which show temperatures in a similar progression. Both chargers have made the room smell of hot electronic components - many of you know what I mean.



The power supply end of the two chargers indicated 118 F and 120 F, respectively, just now. I checked the end with a slots in the case for air to circulate, and the temperatures I reported are the highest indications that my thermometer showed as I scanned over the case.



I suppose that I am getting my money's worth, because these chargers were cheap (particularly when bundled with the D cells). And, the batteries must be charging, since they are warm. (The room is only about 77 F.)



Note that, as other reviewers already said, this charger does not monitor the batteries and charge them until they are full. This charger only charges its batteries for a fixed time period, with no regard to what the batteries need. That does, indeed, protect the batteries from cooking indefinitely on the charging current. However, that behavior is dumb (ignores the condition of the batteries) and can subject batteries to harmful continued charging when they are full.



I'm not happy, and I have now ordered a better charger! (Amazon didn't offer one, that I could see.)



Dick Rawson - Charger - Tenergy - Rechargeable Batteries - Aaa'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Tenergy - rechargeable batteries, tenergy rechargeable batteries Tenergy - rechargeable batteries, tenergy