Tuesday 4 May 2010

Messenger Bag


Made in Taiwan with heavy fabric, nylon buckles, much velcro and dubious attachment points, this bag and Maxpedition's other products promise military ruggedness with everyday practicality. The bag works well for day hikes with heavy camera and basic survival gear, if the bag's substantial weight is not an issue. Unfortunately, the bag is only as good as its weakest link and in this case the sewn-in buckles break with normal use. Because they are difficult to replace and not covered by warranty, the bag is basically a throwaway. Unless your objective is to carry a pistol, there are better designed and supported bags available. Note that this review was deleted from the manufacturer's site where they feature over 50 reviews that are, not surprisingly, all positive. Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack (Green/Khaki)

First, if you do any kind of hiking or trailing where you need hydration, this is the pack you want. I can fit a 32 oz bottle easily into the pack, as well a fill it with a ton of things. In fact, you can get it so full that it is noticeable on your shoulder. What to do? Unsnap the Velcro shoulder pad and move it forward to rest on your shoulder better. Also, there is a buckle placed such that the Velcro straps can go on each side of it so that it stays in place. I was a little concerned when I first put it on because it didn't hit my shoulder at all. When I realized I could unzip the Velcro and move the placement of the pad - presto! Instant joy.



I am currently carrying this full, as well as a backpack with approximately 12 to 15 lbs of weight to do training for a thru-hike on the Appalachian Trail next year. This pack sits low on my side and back and doesn't interfer with my backpack. I really want to take it out on the trail with me so when I purchase my thru-hike bag I will take this with me to see how all fits together and shoot for what works best.



Regarding color - I am very glad I didn't get the flashy colored packs - though they are very nice. I opted for the green/khaki. It is perfect for outdoors - blends in very well with all the green and dirt around and doesn't stand out as something out of a women's department. It looks perfect on my side with my hiking poles and backpack. I ordered the American Khaki flag to stick on the front - just peel the Velcro off and stick it right to the front of the bag, because I wear a schmag (scarf issued to Special forces) ordering a Desert colored one via Amazon. In fact, I ordered several to match this pack and I would never go hiking or backpacking again without one. I can't tell you how many uses it comes in handy for, but if you do decide to get one - take into consideration the color of your pack.



One last thing - there is a lot of places to stick things in this pack - including a conceal carry weapon for those who have a permit or it is state accepted. This pack would be the smallest I would use for that. However, for electronic digital equipment, headphones, MP3, Android, keys, wallet, water, peanut-butter and jelly sandwich - this is absolutely the bag you want. After wearing it one week you will wonder how you ever did without it, and it is outstandingly made with quality materials that will only get softer the more you use it. I don't think I will ever have to replace this pack - but I will have to get one for my spouse! #:D



Update: The more I use this pack the more I love it. One interesting fact. When I first received it I thought the shoulder padding was not in the right place because I was trying to wear the back on my side. I was wrong. After wearing it I realized that the back slips around behind my back and rides against my upper hips. I felt a little sheepish, but did want to share. It is easy to pull around to your side when you need to get to things in it.



This is a much better pack than the smaller one that does not have a place to carry a water bottle, for me anyway, because I do a lot of hiking on Mt. San Jacinto (over 10,000 feet high) and the water bottle carrier is a godsend. Also, I now like to take my pack most places with me, even Starbucks to get coffee, because I carry two digital cameras and a digital recorder, not counting power bars, knives, and on and on.... Living in California I have come to the conclusion that if their is an earthquake that might bring down the freeway overpass I want my back in the back of the car to 1. provide power bars and water, and charged digital cameras to record everything I experience. Also a few extra charged batteries for your smart phone are a good idea, as well. The smaller pack without the water holder would have not worked near as well. Also, if you don't think you need the water for just going out, you can put other things in it.



Lastly, I carry a small pair of high quality binoculars. There are so many things in this world to see, especially in nature, that we just pass by. It helps to have a small digital Sony recorder to go along with recording, then taking photos to share with others with sound once you have enjoyed the view.



Good luck and you can't go wrong with this pack for day hikes and everyday going out. The more I use mine the more I like it. I have the yellow tactical - it goes great in the desert. Also get a Shemagh of the same color to cover your head, keep dust out, be a sun block, throw rocks with - you get the picture. Here is a link to those on Amazon:



[...]

This was my first Maxpedition purchase. I have since purchased three other bags for different uses. This one is still my favorite of the bunch, it's just an awesome all purpose bag. I keep it in my car filled with various every day carry items, and use it frequently for day hikes. It's just the right size for EDC, quick to access while on the move. The bottle holder can hold a 40oz Klean Kanteen or a 32oz Nalgeen bottle. The main compartment includes a compression system that can be folded out of the way. And the main clip lets you cinch everything down tight and compact.



I have seen some reviewers complain about Maxpedition bags being too 'stiff'. My response - you must not be using it very much. These bags are made from high quality nylon. They are just about indestructible, and yes, they are going to need some breaking in. None of my bags suffer from this problem, least of all this one, which I have had for over a year. And not a single loose seam or even a pulled thread.



If you want a versatile, tough bag that will withstand a lifetime of abuse, you can't go wrong with Maxpedition. If you want something lighter and softer, go with any of the various cheap bags you will find on Amazon. You get what you pay for.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Messenger Bag Messenger Bag Messenger Bag