Thursday 29 April 2010

Woodworking - router, woodworking


Previously, I had the Bench Dog router table/cabinet and was looking to create more shop space by using this on my Jet Supersaw instead of a dedicated router table. It fits the bill perfectly. I am using this with a Porter Cable router, fits the base of my router perfectly and is predrilled for my adjustment wrench. The router fence is movable and comes with a dust collection port. The mitre slots fit my guides perfectly. I would recommend adding a second base to your router and mounting it permanently, this allows you to slide the router in whenver you want to use it without the hassle of remounting the base to the plate.



Pros

- Router plate can be leveled perfectly with about 10 adjustment points.

- Adjustable width fence, locks in place, good dust collection.

- Super heavy...when added to my saw, there is very little vibration which makes for precise routing work. (Of course, the saw itself is heavy, but the router table makes it moreso.

- Typical Bench Dog quality - I have always been pleased with their products.





Cons

- Super heavy...difficult to mount by yourself but I was able to make it happen using clamps. If you don't have a jack stand, you will need a second set of hands.

- Does not come with a router mounting plate (add $55 or so). I had planned on transferring my old Bench Dog mounting plate but it would not fit by about 1/16th of an inch. Make sure you order when you order the top. Bench Dog Tools 40-102 ProMax Cast Iron Router Table Extension

Using this on a Delta 36-979 table saw. I removed one of the built in wings and replaced it with the bench dog. On this particular saw, I was able to recycle the old wing by attaching it to the other old wing on the opposite side of the bench.

So I get: |Bench Dog Router Wing|Table Saw|Old wing 1|Old Wing 2|



The quality is everything you would expect. Solid as you can imagine a cast iron table to be. Plenty of mounting screws and t-slot screws in the box. Also a decent looking fence that I'm not using.



I enhanced package with an 32" incra fence (+ incra router wonder fence) on 72" rails. Everything fit great.



The only gotcha to be aware of is you MUST get the bench-dog router plate or router lift to fit this table. Incra and other lifts have their own unique dimensions and won't fit this table (ever). The bench dog lift is one of the more expensive lifts on the market. I dinged them a star here.. I suppose all router lifts deserve to lose a little credit there.



EDIT, CORRECTION

See comments below about other lifts that will fit the table.

I purchased this extension to go with an delta contractor saw. I had expected to add it the already installed extension. Instructions say to remove the extension. I suppose it has to do with the weight on one end. Lots weight on 2 bolts. Well this makes the extension I have useless. I did add it to the right side, but I have a side table there and didnt need the extension.



The extension is well machined and fit easily. I used horses to support it for installation, no big deal. Depending on your router you may need separate plates. I have a milwaukee 5625 and porter cable 690. I bought a second plate for the 690. Plates are 50. On the positive they are heavy machined steel. Good leveling screws. I also bought the bench dog power lok. That is a piece of junk. I think I will use the power lock for the table saw and dump the bench dog lock.

Fence is nice, lots of places for feather boards. Well machined. I gave it 4 stars since I had to remove the extentsion.

I installed this on a 10" Rigid saw. My neighbor came over and we had it installed in about two beers. My 1st project was some raised panels and it worked out great. This Router Table is well machined and heavy duty. It bolted up to my saw with no problem. I now have a nice router table and did not have to give up any shop space for it. I also added a Porter Cable 890 Router to dedicate it to the table.

Don't forget to order the Plate insert that fits your Router!

I purchased this router table top for my Delta R/T unisaw almost a year ago along with the Bench dog pro lift, and a P/C 7518 3HP router. This set up is sweeeet!! Very accurate and well built, the extention adds approx. 6 inches to the width and bolted up with no problems. With the router always ready to go I look forward to using the saw/router combo on any of my projects.

I spent a lot of time waffling over spending $300 on a router accessory. I ended up buying the Bench Dog 40-102 and a Rockler FX lift. After about 3 hours of fiddling around, drilling holes and doing some heavy lifting with the help of some clamps and a 2x4 or two, I have a phenomenal router table integrated with my Jet 708480K ProShop Tablesaw.



Mounting the table on the Jet required drilling a pair of 3/8" holes in the side of the router table but other than that, it was pretty straightforward. Note that if you have a Jet saw, the four mounting bolts that connect the table to the saw are metric and the included hardware is SAE. You will need to pick up four 8mm x 1.25 x 35mm bolts since the bolts holding the steel table extension to the saw are too short for the thickness of the cast iron.



Solid as a rock and the FX lift fit with no modification necessary. Once it was installed, any remorse over the expense disappeared.



Highly recommended!

I bolted this router table to the right side of a Porter Cable PCB270TS. I searched to see if anyone had tried this yet but the saw is relatively new and most people bolt it to the left side, as suggested. I took a chance and had no problems. Bolt placement was spot on. Hardware matched. No additional support is required from the fence rails but the front rails' captured bolt was easy to slide into a hole in the side of the router table so I used it even though it's not really providing much additional support. Nothing needed through the rear rail and it's surprisingly solid.

Good product, saves space. It is heavy but I used a couple adjustable roller stands to set the unit by myself and it worked out fine. Just be careful when you first clean it as some machined edges are sharp. I got a nice "paper cut" from a paper towel swipe down the inside of the T-slot... deburring the few sharp edges only takes a minute. - Router - Router Accessories - Woodworking - Benchdog Router Table'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Woodworking - router, woodworking woodworking Woodworking - router, woodworking