Thursday 29 April 2010

Electric Chain Saw - electric chainsaw


This is the second electric McCilloch 16" chain saw that I have owned and it is even better and more powerful than the first. I still use a gas chain saw out in the woods on my property but I usually do just enough cutting with it to get the logs on a trailer so I can take them bach to my shed to cut them up and save the sawdust for on my garden and flower beds as mulch. This electric is lighter and more powerful than my gas saw and makes short work of even 14" well-seasoned oak and poppel logs with a minimum of effort. I highly recommend this sae for anyone who has an electric outlet close enough to their cutting station. It is a real pleasure to work with such an excellent piece of equipment McCulloch 16-Inch 3.5 HP Electric Chain Saw #MCC3516F McCulloch MCC3516F 16-Inch 3.5 HP Electric Chain Saw

Bought this McCulloch electric chainsaw to replace an old Craftsman electric chain saw. (the Craftsman got ran over by a car)



Compared to my old Craftsman electric chain saw, the McCulloch seems to be wonderful. The first test was to cut a 16" diameter oak branch, cut thru it like hot butter. The "no tools needed" chain tensioner seems to be a good design (design seems to be similar to that used by other manufacturers).



Assuming this thing keeps cutting/running the same way in the long term, then we have a winner.



(note: all the electric chain saws come with cheap looking chains with cutting blades spaced very widely apart along the chain. To be ready for the bigger cutting jobs I sprung for a new $18 Oregon s-54 16" chain.)



Update - Just cutout a 4' diameter 450# stump w/ this E-saw. It keeps doing a super job. In terms of a replacement chain, make sure to get the Oregon S-54 (S is style of cutter, 54 means 54 links). The MC literature suggests use of a S-55, but it is TOO Long and will soon wind up in the trash can. ALSO, the MC factory installed gasket for the lube oil, between the saw and chain bar is total trash. When changing out the chain, pull the bar off, pull out and throw away the MC factory gasket, clean the bar and apply a piece of electrical tape, using a knife to cut out a pathway for oil to the bar. Will lube perfectly now!

The McCulloch3516F chainsaw puts an end to my problem of gas engines that don't start when I really need them to. I have been cutting out maple branches this summer from trees with verticillium wilt - branches up to 8 inches are no problem at all.



This saw has an impressive safety feature: a chain brake that stops the saw instantly as soon as the trigger is released or the safety guard is pushed forward. I mean instantly: there is a loud clunk as the brake engages and the chain stops dead. This takes some getting used to, as the brake engages if you wiggle your finger while running the chainsaw, causing the chain to start and stop. There is no concept of "revving" the chain. It also means there is no "idle" speed for the chain. It is on or off. And that is safe.



You can also consider it a safety feature that the chain has fewer cutting teeth than my gas powered saw chains. I don't know the relative operating RPMs - if they are about the same, this saw seems to cut a little slower, and fewer teeth would do that. This makes the saw less aggressive and less likely to pull out of your control. I like that. As I say, the cutting ability is well in excess of the 8" branches I've been dealing with.



The oil fill is conveniently located so that you don't have to tip the saw to fill it, although a small funnel is helpful.



Overall, I am very happy with this chainsaw.

I bought this saw last summer when my old gas saw was on its last legs. I have cross cut and then sliced in half lengthwise about a cord of hardwood, up to about 12" in diameter for use in woodturning. As other reviewers have said, the saw has ample power and good safety features. It's got as much or more power as any of the 'homeowner' level gas saws I've used over the years and is much lighter. I was very pleased to find the chain sprocket is metal, unlike some other electric saws. I also have not had any problems with the saw heating up during use.

The only problems I have found are small--1. it's pretty hard to see how much bar oil is in the tank even though you're supposed to be able to easily see the level. 2. when cutting in rip fashion (which only woodturners are going to want to do) the cuttings clog up around the base of the bar fairly easily. I highly recommended this saw.

Pros - inexpensive compared to gas chainsaws, lightweight, cuts with good power, will do most anything that a gas chainsaw will do. like the automatic chain oiler and easy tension adjustment.



Cons - If you are cutting larger branches and trees, a gas is better. However this will work on 8-10" size very well.

After much research on Amazon I chose this little chain saw for odd jobs around my property. It's great for small downed trees and limbs! Electrics have good power (torque) and I wanted something that would not need much maintenance. Being tethered to a plug (I don't have a portable generator yet) is something I expected and I bought some extra extension cord to increase my range from the plugs. Save some money and skip buying the brand-name chain oil. You can get regular chain oil for less at any big box supply store. Use that savings to get safety glasses and good gloves if you don't already have them.

Nice chainsaw, works great, well built. The instant-stop chain is very safe, but a bit abrupt when releasing the trigger. I wish there were a half-way release that turned off the motor but did not engage the instant stop break.

I have used a Remington chainsaw for many years.I use an electric chainsaw for small branches and kindling wood. They work just fine, and, are less expensive to use than my two gas powered saws.I have a fireplace with insert to heat the log home during cold days. Nothing like wood heat. I got ten years of use from the previous chainsaw. - Electric Chainsaw'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Electric Chain Saw - electric chainsaw electric chainsaw Electric Chain Saw - electric chainsaw