Sunday 11 April 2010

Fathers Day - cordless tools, drill


This drill is a champ, I had an old stick type 9.6v Makita that served me well for 8 years. When I finally lost the last battery I decided to buy a new drill. I never really wanted more power than the 9.6v Makita delivered so I didn't see the point in getting a huge cordless drill. This drill is light, incredibly comfortable, all the power I need in a cordless and for $80 with a flashlight and a rebate for a third battery it was a no brainer. Hitachi DS12DVF3 12-Volt Ni-Cad 3/8-Inch Cordless Drill/Driver Kit

Although the batteries do not seem to last very between charges, there are two of them in the kit along with a quick charger. The specified torque is impressive, but I think that it may be slightly exaggerated. The ergonomics, weight, and overall dimensions are nearly ideal. The box and Hitachi website indicate a 5-year warranty, but the warranty card itself indicates only a one-year warranty. The chuck is pretty cheap, and the trigger doesn't seem very well-made. The design of the carrying case leaves a lot to be desired. All in all, after about 6 weeks, it appears to be a good drill for light to moderate homeowner duty. The quality of the drill is probably a cut above other drills available in the $99 price range, but it is certainly not worth the $150 that Lowes now charges. If you are willing to spend $140-$150, you will probably be able to get a Makita mForce or Bosch Compact Tough 14.4V-18V model and be much happier.

This drill is remarkedly comfortable to use. It is smaller and more powerful that an older DeWalt 9.6 volt drill I have. The major draw back is the battery charging system. With the DeWalt you put a battery in the charger and leave it until you need it. Not with the Hitachi. It says to take it out when charged. Therefore you got to watch it. Also, if you are using the drill alot and the battery gets low on power, it is also warm and the charger will not charge it until it cools off. Can't get the battery to charge until it cools off???? If you need to charge right away, you are out of luck.



I guess for the price, I can live with this flaw. But sure like the DeWalt charging system much better.

good torque, reasonable battery life for a medium duty drill, charges quickly. the compactness lets it get into spaces many drills won't reach. down side: cheap plastic housing, doesn't fit standard holster, attached belt clip won't hang securely on hammer loop. I dropped mine about six feet and the housing broke completely in two where the handle meets the head. No parts are available yet for this model, so I had to epoxy the housing. If you need a compact drill for the tight places this is a good buy at Lowe's for $99, just be very careful how you carry it. If you need one to use all day, this isn't it.

I have two of these drills now. The first was originally purchased for use at my lake home. I also had a Dewalt 14.4 that I lugged back and forth, just in case I needed to do anything heavier duty.



It turns out, this little drill can go head to head with that Dewalt, and now I much prefer it over the bigger and heavier Dewalt. (The Dewalt was 3 or 4 times more expensive originally as well).



What surprises me about the Hitachi is the torque it has. Its fortunate that it has such a good adjustable clutch because this little thing has the power to twist off screw heads if you're not careful. Amazing for such a light and handy drill.



The trigger has a great feel to it as well. One can feather it on and off to screw in something delicate and it responds exactly as you would expect. It doesn't keep spinning like the Dewalt tends to.



I ended up buying the second drill for home here, and leaving the Dewalt up at the cabin "just in case". The Hitachi is the first one I reach for now.



If Hitachi is listening, my only disappointment in this drill is the lack of two bit holders. The Dewalt gives me storage for a flat bit, a phillips and a square drive. With the Hitachi, I've had to leave the flat bit in the shop. Also, the bit holder that is there isn't very reliable. If you drop the drill, you better check the ground and make sure your second bit isn't laying there. But this isn't a show stopper.



Also, the magnetic bit holder included with the kit remains in the shop as well. If you use something like this primarily wandering around outside your shop (as I do up at the lake), you'll almost certainly want a quick change bit holder with a more positive action to it (Dewalt's are VERY good). If you rely on the Hitachi bit holder, you'll lose bits. The bit holder plus a bit is also way too long to feel like you can get any leverage with it.



I never use the flashlight, so can't really comment on it. I also don't use it all day every day, so can't really comment on battery life. It always seems to have enough juice when I need it. If not, the battery is quick to change, and doesn't "stick" like the Dewalt tends to do.



All in all, I would definitely recommend this drill. I think it is one of the best bargains for the price. I have a Hitachi reciprocating saw as well that I really like, and will give Hitachi a shot for my other tools as they wear out and need replacing.

I spent a lot of time researching a light-weight drill to use for my small duty tasks and projects. The Hitachi 12v fit the bill perfectly. I teach school and have my summers off. I've put a lot of time and money over the last four summers into an addition, a new kitchen, and a new bathroom that I've done most of by myself. I've been using my 18v Makita for everything and it has never failed, but I have always cursed the thing when working in tight quarters or above my head for long periods of time (ceiling fans and drywalling ceilings). I finally decided that a lighter drill was necessary and I debated over getting a big cordless screwdriver (Dewalt, Ridgid, Bosch "Pocket Driver")or a small drill. After comparing many brands, I found the Hitachi to be the most powerful drill for its' size and price: 230lbs torque and 3.5lbs in weight. It is also nice to have a chuck and not a hex head. At $80 it's hard to beat, and it comes with a flashlight. The Dewalt (80lb torque) and Ridgid (100lb torque) screwdrivers are the most powerful, but their weight is the same as the Hitachi 12v drill. The super-light Bosch was very tempting but I was afraid that it would be underpowered. I know that cordless screwdrivers and 12v drills are not the same, but seriously consider your needs and power requirements and you might just find as I did: this drill is the perfect tool to bridge cordless screwdrivers and drills (run-on sentence). - Cordless Drills - Drill - Cordless Tools - 12v'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Fathers Day - cordless tools, drill cordless tools Fathers Day - cordless tools, drill