Tuesday 6 April 2010

Beverage Cooler


It's one of two beverage coolers I could find of this type. Just to note, you want several inches of overhang on the edge, as this is not a pushbutton type dispenser I'm used to, but a 'newer' design where you grab the whole spigot and give it a yank. Tends to dribble when not pulled out all the way, and when it's low you need someone to hold it down so you can do so. I miss the type where you grab onto the spigot and push a button inwards; that would completely do away with this problem! Coleman 5-Gallon Beverage Cooler, Orange

With the wide top, this cooler is easy to load with punch, ice blocks, water, etc. It keeps the beverage cold for hours, even in the heat of an outdoor picnic or party! I'm very pleased with the price for the size of the cooler.

I just had to put my two cents in on the beverage cooler. I bought one last year for camping after my milk creates that held 6 one gallon jugs of water was stolen. I put a 20 pound bag of ice in it so I have water for making coffee, cooking, mixing juices, etc. Well let me tell you this thing keeps that ice frozen solid, even when I leave it out in the sun all weekend! I've found I have to open the lid and pour about a cup of water over the ice to get it to begin to melt. I have no issues with the spout, so far no leaking that I've noticed. And one review mentioned having to have it hang over the table several inches but I don't seem to have that issue, I have it on the end of the table and yes, out off the edge, but no more than inch at the most. It's a great cooler and I highly recommend it.

I had hopes of making this cooler into a mash tun (for steeping the malt for homemade beer). Alas, it is not suitable for conversion, and will have to remain a beverage cooler.



The bore for the spigot is too large for the 1/2" pipe fittings typical of cooler conversion kits, much larger than the 7/8" diameter that would be appropriate.



The spigot valve core appeared at first to be threaded for 1/2" NPT, but turned out to be not a pipe taper at all. 1/2" pipe fittings will indeed screw in securely, but do not seal adequately. Liquids leaked at a very slow rate through this threaded connection. Caulk or silicone sealant will likely be enough to seal this slow leak, but I did not try because of doubts about their suitability for prolonged contact with food.



Restored to service as a beverage cooler, its 5 gallon capacity is more than I need, and is not bad at all for the price (currently under $20).

Holds a lot of water and ice and keeps it cold for at least 8 hours (if the water lasts that long)! The top is nice because it doesn't have an awkward handle and can be used as a seat if you're in a pinch. Great value!

I ordered 2 originally and use them to pass Health Insp. at different events. So 1 worked and other completely leaked out. I returned it to Amazon and they replaced it with one that was good. Thanks! Did the trick just wish it was continous flow spigot.

Really thoguht I was going to get a quality product since it was Coleman, but nope. The 1st time I used them the one leaked terribly, and I was down to a couple of hours before a big party so I didnt have time to run out and buy another one, so had to try and fix it the best I could and lay several towels below it and switch out the towels ever so often, probably lost half of the tea on the ground. Such a waste! The other cooler had a bit of a slow leak, but I can still use it if I need to.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Beverage Cooler Beverage Cooler Beverage Cooler