Wednesday 31 March 2010

Universal Remote Control - elderly, simple remote


The Flipper LLC works great and I really appreciate someone finally pulling together basic remote control commands while maintaining programming technology for such a vast array of AV component options. The ability to control two separate components simultaneously is unique. I have never seen this feature before and hope you guys applied for a patient.



Our Mother has mid-stage Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home. The remote that came with her new 32" flat screen TV would challenge even the youngest and brightest. After researching and trying several remotes the Flipper LLC was the only one found that would not only operate the new TV, but simultaneously operate the existing (circa 1997) DIRECTV control box. Most amazing and certainly most important, the colors, size and simplicity of the 4-button design allowed her to immediately use the Flipper without any problems. Even in her confused state using the Flipper LLC was intuitive. Flipper Big Button Remote for 2-Devices

This is the perfect remote for anyone having trouble with the remote from their cable company or the TV remote. After reading the other reviews, I ordered this remote for my 91 year old mother-in-law. She couldn't use the cable remote, so we first purchased a remote with large numbers. However, she could not figure out how to turn the TV and cable box off without touching other buttons which then changed the cable box set-up. We went through that for 2 years. It was a nightmare. She has been using the Flipper for 2 months now with no problem. We haven't received any more phone calls that she can't get a picture on her TV. I programmed her favorite channels into the remote and she just presses the forward arrow to decide which channel she wants to watch. No more numbers to find and press. It was so easy to program for her. I have never written a review before, but I am so pleased with this remote that I had to write this review. I highly recommend this remote for anyone who just needs a remote to turn on the TV and cable box at the same time with no problem. The channel numbers are small but the arrows to advance the favorite channels are large. I think the price is high for a remote control, but it has been worth every penny in just the last two months. Therefore, this TV/cable remote is well worth the extra money.

My mother has mid stage Alzheimers and just can't learn new things. Before we knew that she had Alzheimer's and before she came to live with us, we tried changing her cable TV over to AT&T U-Verse. After 2 weeks of struggling to teach her the U-Verse remote, we had to disconnect it and go back to the service she was used to. She came to live with us and we really, really wanted U-Verse which had just come available in our area. I found the Flipper and I wrote to them to ask if it would work with the AT&T U-Verse and they wrote back that they knew it would work with the Motorola set top boxes but that AT&T uses a variety of boxes. They also said that they would provide customer support during the setup if we needed it. The AT&T Tech could get the remote to work with the set top box to change the channels but he could not get it to work in "dual mode" where it would turn off and on both the tv and the set top box nor could he get it to change the volume. He left me with my problem so I wrote back to Flipper and they promptly sent me a phone # to call. I called, they picked right up(no sitting on hold) and within 5 minutes it was working beautifully. To find this wonderful product that works great AND has awesome customer support is a delight. My Mom is just happy as can be with it and to me, the caregiver, it is priceless. I highly recommend it.

I bought this for my 86-year-old mother who was having problems with the standard remote that came with her Verizon FIOS cable service (too many buttons, small buttons, etc.) I had a little trouble at first programming the favorite channels because I was pushing the buttons too fast. But once I figured that out it worked as advertised. My only complaint is that it transmits the IR signals for the channels with a somewhat long gap in between digits. Her cable service uses 4-digit channel numbers so it takes a while for all 4 digits to get transmitted. My mother sometimes thinks pressing the button didn't work so she presses it again. But I think the advantages with this remote outweigh this issue so I do recommend it.



Update (1/31/2010) - The drawback that I mentioned in my initial review can be mitigated by using the Flipper's feature that allows it to learn the "enter" signal from your TV's or STB's remote. So, for example, if a favorite channel is only one digit you can program the remote to transmit the signal for that single digit followed by the "enter" signal which will result in the channel change taking less time.

Prior to purchasing the FLIPPER, I had purchased and returned several big button remotes from local retailers. They worked only with cable boxes, not the new digital tv converter boxes.



FLIPPER has big buttons, stores up to 30 channels, and operates (both channels and volume) by scrolling up or down. You do not punch in a station to go directly to it. No problem - my 91 year old mother, who could NEVER figure out the dual remote system after the digital conversion, can operate this remote. We programmed it for her five favorite channels and two more PBS channels. This remote simultaneously turns on/off both the TV and the Digital Converter Box. It does NOT interfere with use of other remotes for VCR, DVD player/recorder.



Set-up was a bit of a challenge: instruction book is not 100% clear. Unfortunately there is NO 800 number for customer help listed in the operating manual. The manual refers customers to the company website and requests questions by email - not a good option for a senior who does not use a computer. After several emails, I received the direct phone number of the inventor of this product, (310) 266-6933 (9am - 3pm Pacific Standard Time)and, during a five minute phone call, set up the system.



This product is BRILLIANT for seniors. I wish it was available in local retail stores such as Target, Best Buy, Walmart, etc. But, the order on Amazon was very easy, included free shipping and a 30 day trial period! - Simple Remote - Easy To Use - Seniors - Elderly'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Universal Remote Control - elderly, simple remote easy to use Universal Remote Control - elderly, simple remote