Tuesday 16 February 2010

Wireless Wall Switch - leviton, remote lighting control


I have a room with no overhead lighting and no way for me to wire one.

The room is on the first floor of my house and has two bedrooms overhead.



I plugged this little device into an outlet and plugged a lamp into the device.



I mounted the switch to a wall by the door and put in the batteries.



Works Great. Flip the switch, light goes on. Flip it again, light goes off.



I would have given five stars but... two issues.

1) Switch only comes in one style. No options for other types of switches.

2) For some odd reason the light goes on by itself once in a while. Not a huge deal but not very energy efficient. Perhaps the radio transmitter or receiver responds to some nearby interference. But I have no baby monitor or garage door opener. Leviton 6697-W Anywhere Switch/Plug-In RF Remote Decora Rocker Single-Pole Switch, White

I highly recommend this switch but beware of its limitations. When I first bought this switch, I used it to put a few accent lights on one switch with all the wires out of the way. Currently, I am using the switch in my home office for my monitors, printers, and other peripherals that need to be turned off periodically. It works great.



It looks very nice and is very easy to mount with 2 screws. It is, of course, thicker than a Decora wall plate, but what should one expect: It doesn't require a large hole in your wall like a wired switch.



Since it is wireless, there are limitations where it will work well. I suspect that it might be prone to interference. Channel A uses 500HZ and 1300Hz and Channel B uses 900Hz and 1700Hz. You also need to make sure that the transmitter and receiver are not out of range (50 feet) and that there is nothing in between the two that reduces the range too much.



In my case, I was having trouble when I had the transmitter and receiver less than 10 feet apart. I had the transmitter switch screwed to the upright of an IKEA shelf, a soft "blonde" board. This was not working well. I found that when I moved the switch to a different soft wood board (pine, I think) it works flawlessly. I suspect that if you mount it to drywall, you should have not problems as long as you don't experience any interference or range issues. I strongly suggest that you hold the switch firmly against the surface where you would like to mount it before you drill any holes in your wall or furniture.



This is a great product and works well as long as you don't provide it any obstacles.



Update: I have since given up on this switch. It is too unpredictable. I think that perhaps I got a early version of this product and Leviton has since improved it because I find it hard to believe that Leviton would put out such an unreliable product without soon fixing it. I'm not going to try a new one. I purchased a "Belkin BG108000-04 Conserve Energy-Saving Surge Strip" instead and it is working great. It includes a power strip which I need anyway.

I set this up so I can light up a corner of the room with either LED lights (when it is hot and I want to save energy) or halogen lights (when it is not hot and I care more about the quality of light than saving energy). The LED lights are on channel A and the halogen lights are on channel B. Both work fine for me; other reviewers have voiced problems. This type of set up requires purchasing two sets of receivers/transmitters. My review docked the manufacturer one star due to not offering the purchase of additional transmitters separately. I also wish that I could buy just a transmitter that does not look like a wall switch but is more compact and would go well on say a key chain. If anybody finds a substitute transmitter that controls either channel A or channel B well (preferably both, of course), please add a review and suggest the alternate product. By the way, I live in a Manhattan apartment building and have not experienced any interference from neighbors.

I was wanting to install a light into a dark closet. There is no power in there but there is an outlet on the wall immediately outside of the door opening. This let me discreetly run an extension cord into the closet into which I could plug the track light unit I had installed inside. The problem was, one would have to reach up into the dark ceiling of closet to switch on the light fixture.



This remote switch solved the problem very elegantly. The unit works perfectly and the switch is mounted just outside the closet door allowing us to turn on the light without having to go through any contortions or groping in the dark. The switch itself is a bit thicker than a standard wall switch in order to accommodate the batteries installed in it but in our case, this does not detract from the beauty of the installation. Looking at the photo of the switch here on Amazon you can see that it is labeled "on" and "off". This is just a sticker that can be easily peeled off if you prefer a cleaner look as we did. It does have a two position channel switch to allow multiple units per room/house but I only have one and thus was not able to test this feature other than to confirm that it does indeed work on both channels when configured correctly. The receiver unit (where you plug your device in) does make an audible clicking noise when you turn it off and on. We don't find it loud enough to be an issue but someone who is more picky might find reason to complain about it. You'd have to be pretty picky though. The switch itself looks like a standard rocker type switch but it actually isn't. It's really an momentary contact type affair. When you press it in either direction it springs back to center immediately. I can't imagine this being a problem for anyone but I mention it for those who like to know exactly what they're getting.



I can't speak for durability at this point since we've only had it a couple of weeks. Nor can I tell you what the battery life in the switch will be but I'm 100% satisfied with the looks and operation of this product. It saved me a house call from an electrician and looks very professional. - Wireless Switch - Leviton - Wireless Light Switch - Remote Lighting Control'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Wireless Wall Switch - leviton, remote lighting control leviton Wireless Wall Switch - leviton, remote lighting control