Saturday 16 January 2010

Laptop Accessories - laptop stand, laptop holder


Laptop tested: MacBook Pro unibody 15.4" (late 2008 model).

Laptop tested: MacBook Pro unibody 17" (early 2009 model).



Normally I'm not a fan of lapdesks. Most of the time they look ghastly, take up way too much room, and have those annoying "peas" in the material that rests on your legs. At first, they're fine, until you wiggle around a bit, the peas get pushed off to the side, and your legs end up against the faux wood. Not fun.



Enter Logitech's Comfort Lapdesk. I was given this as a gift, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to give the lapdesk one last try. The results? Awesome. I love it. And I'm surprised I do.



Why am I so surprised?



1.) It's comfortable on your lap, even lying in bed.

2.) The underside is made of an airy mesh, so it never warms up at all, but remains quite firm on your legs. Not too firm, as I sit in my shorts writing this in bed. Very cushy but sturdy.

3.) It's very light, so the added weight of the lapdesk with my laptop on it is not intrusive.

4.) It tilts forward a little so that it's at a "perfect" angle to type on.

5.) It does actually stand up by itself on its edge, so you can stick it next to your bed without having it slide over and disappear under the bed/sofa etc. Very convenient!



My laptop isn't running too hot sitting on it, and I can't comment on the number of layers Logitech says the top part features, but supposedly it's a 4-layer, heat-shielding design. I can say my laptop isn't running too warm, and while the top of the lapdesk is a little warm, it's nothing unusual.



So, are there any complaints? Well, my only concern with the desk is that it IS white, and the top part FEELS like if you slam it around at all, it will likely pick up a myriad of scratches. Mine came with a few out of the box, though I'm sure it wouldn't have taken me long to do it myself. If Logitech had gone the whole hog and made the top part aluminum, boy would this thing be killer...



Just bear in mind, with my 15.4" MacBook Pro, there's no room for a mouse on the side, though I prefer this, as it means the actual lapdesk is smaller and easier to handle. This lapdesk is designed for 15.4" laptops, though it can handle smaller systems of course. I think a 17" MacBook Pro "might" be pushing it. (EDIT: works just fine with a 17"!)



As it is, it serves its purpose very well, and is without doubt the most comfortable lapdesk I've ever used. I was more concerned with how usable the base is on my legs rather than how astonishingly it removes heat. It does the former excellently, and the latter quite well.



Great job, Logitech.



4.5/5



**EDIT June 17, 2009**



I can report I'm having no trouble with my new 17" unibody MacBook Pro on this lapdesk. I love it! :-)



Some people have reported their laptops slipping of this lapdesk. I've had no such issue with either of my unibody MacBook Pros.



**EDIT August 18, 2010**



Still loving this lapdesk, and it hasn't bowed or shown any noticeable additional wear and tear. Still 100% worth the money! Logitech Comfort Lapdesk (white/grey)

I was thinking about getting two based off of the positive reviews, but I'm glad that I didn't.



Overall the Lapdesk feels great; the size and angle is just right. But sadly I was surprised to find that both my Macbook and my Macbook Pro slides right off the Lapdesk if it tilts horizontally ever so slightly.



All the rubber feet for both the notebooks are still there, but they just don't create enough friction to keep it from sliding off. It has gotten to point that I'm considering adding velcro to connect the notebook to the Lapdesk... but that just makes me feel silly.

I hesitated after all of the comments on how slippery it was. Mine just arrived today, and just want to note that Logitech may be listening. The lapdesk arrived with four white rubber feet, along with a layout template to stick them onto the top surface of the lapdesk.



That said, I tried it without the feet with my 17" Dell studio, and it really seemed to stick just fine (possibly because my laptop comes with 6 rubber feet).



As for the comfort, I have mixed feelings. It's very lightweight, which is great, and I like the shape, but for me the padding on the back ridge is a bit too stiff and uncomfortable. Given that the design shifts most of the weight there, I would have hoped for thicker padding, so I only give it an "OK" for comfort. To be fair, my laptop is on the heavy side, so YMMV.

I've had this for a few months now.



The positive.



The size is great; it's just big enough.

It stands on it's side and takes less room on the floor or something.

It insulates you from the heat from the computer.



The negative.



It's plastic. My laptop's feet aren't the only thing that touch the surface anymore as the surface has curved a little bit so now the middle of the laptop touches it. This makes the laptop slide off since the nonslip rubber feet aren't all touching the surface at the same time.



My advice:



Get something that has a solid wood surface as that won't warp.

After just a few days of using the Logitech Lapdesk, we love it, and just ordered a second one. The Macbook Pro 17 fits on it perfectly, as if it was made specifically for it, and while my girlfriend uses a much smaller laptop she is equally happy with it.



It seems to work best when sitting normally, and is comfortable even on bare leg. Because of the "lip" bends away from the board's surface, it even works passably while sitting "indian style," and works surprisingly well when not on your lap at all! As I write this, I have the lapdesk and laptop next to me on the couch.



I haven't noticed any scratches on the smooth whiteboard-like surface, but it does seem to be an electrostatic magnet for lint and dust, which fortunately wipes away easily. The surface doesn't feel tacky, but holds the laptop well in normal use. The laptop will slide if you increase the angle too much beyond normal, but it hasn't been an issue.



Not only is it useful, but it's stylish. I haven't used any competing lapdesks to compare, but I would buy this again. - Laptop Desk - Laptop Holder - Laptop Accessories - Laptop Stand'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Laptop Accessories - laptop stand, laptop holder laptop desk Laptop Accessories - laptop stand, laptop holder