Monday 23 November 2009

Melissa And Doug - pretend play, cookies


We have a play kitchen but, did not have any play food. I wanted something durable and not the cheaper plastic that eventually would end up in the trash. I had originally purchased this for my daughter's birthday but, when it came it looked too fun to wait!! Even my sons (aged 8 & 4 1/2) have gotten in on the cookie making action. Great, durable toy that helps them use their imagination. Melissa & Doug Slice and Bake Cookie Set

I purchased this toy for my 3 year old son for Christmas, and I know he would've loved it. I just saw, however, that this item, along with 2 other M&D toys, has been recalled in Canada for unsafe Barium levels in the paint. I am returning it, as I don't want to take the risk. I am very disappointed. For some reason, I trusted the M&D brand more than I trust many other brands.

This is a great toy for kids who are into PROCESSES! They can take the cookies out of the tube, slice them, put them on the cookie sheet, then after they are "baked", add frosting, then take them off the cookie sheet with the spatula. My daughter loves the step-by-step process, learning how baking works. She also loves to walk around and serve the cookies to everyone, asking which one they want. Another QUALITY product from Melissa and Doug... they really think of everything with this one! This set will become my new birthday gift for 2-3 year olds!

This is such a wonderful idea! My two year old daughter was completely taken with this toy on display so I have purchased it for her for Christmas. There are so many different combinations for the cookies, so many ways to play with it. The velcro is a fun way to mix and match cookie dough and the utensils are so realistic. My 4 1/2 year old son was intrigued with these too so I know that they will be fun to play with for a long time. Excellent product-I can't rave enough!

After reading comments about the recall in Canada, I did a little searching and found this site where Doug responds to the recall. After reading his detailed reply, I feel very comfortable keeping the toys I have from Melissa and Doug and buying more. I recommend people go to this site and read the report.[...]

My 2 year old loves this cookie set. He plays with it more than all of the other Melissa and Doug food sets that he has.



The cookie's frosting Velcros onto the cookie and the cookies Velcro onto the tray. The set comes with a dozen cookies with frosting, a spatula to remove the cookies from the baking sheet with, a baking sheet, and a tube to put all your "unbaked" cookies into.



My son loves taking the cookies out of the tube, placing them on the tray, and baking them. Then he loves to use the spatula to get the cookies off of the tray and runs around the house giving everyone cookies.



We hear "Mama, I'm baking cookies!" come out of the playroom all of the time. This is a great little set and has given hours of entertainment to our little boy.



His second favorite Melissa and Doug food set would have to be the Melissa & Doug Wooden Sushi. The sushi set was his favorite until he got this cookie set for his birthday.



The only trouble we have with this set is that our dog loves to chew on wood; so we have to make sure to put everything away before we leave the house otherwise it ends up chewed. Hmmm...maybe these cookies are yummy even though they are wood.

I am a mother of three (children ages 6yrs,5yrs and 17 months)wanting durable toys, that can hold up to rough play and teething. Overall, I was very pleased. However, the cookie tube is made of cardboard and the inside lining was unraveling when it arrived. I just reattached the paper that was pealing with some hotglue and the kids were ready to play. I am not convinced that the cardboard tube will hold up over time with removing and replacing the endcap (for storing the cookie dough). I wish the cookie tube was made of plastic, but my children are really enjoying slicing and making cookies, so I would still recommend the product to others.

I just found out that this toy, along with some other Melissa and Doug toys, has been recalled. To the best of my knowledge the recall is only for Canada so far, but American buyers should probably also be cautious. Please check the toy recall lists before you purchase!! I am sure we all want our kids to have a safe and happy holiday.

My daughter loves baking these cookies, especially since you can interchange the toppings. I like their durability. The only drawback is the cookie sheet does not fit in her kitchen oven. It is made to fit in the oven of the wooden play kitchens. Otherwise, a great investment.

I purchased this for our 2 year old daughter last November and she loved it. It does encourage creative play. However, she also likes to put the cookies in her mouth and bite them and after reading about the unsafe barium levels and the Canadian recall yesterday I got rid of the entire thing today and told my daughter it was "broken" so she would understand why one of her favorite toys was all of a sudden missing. I am also getting rid of our other M+D food group toys and replacing it with wooden food by PLAN toys, which are organic and NOT made in China. They sell a great selection on Amazon. Both PLAN toys and GREEN TOYS are fantastic companies with no bad chemicals (the usual list) and they are made in Thailand and US, respectively. Very disappointing to hear this about M+D but not surprising in the least considering all their toys now come from China. - Pretend Play - Play Food - Cookies - Wooden Food'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Melissa And Doug - pretend play, cookies cookies Melissa And Doug - pretend play, cookies