Monday 23 November 2009

Blu-ray - netflix, lg


I was told by a friend that this unit was great but I could not find many reviews at amazon and actually it had only one review and was negative. I went to my local video store and they had the unit for a good price plus a 30 days money back guarantee so I gave it a try. Setup took me less than 10 minutes in total, from the moment I opened the box to the moment I was streaming a Netflix movie.



I have a wireless network created with an Apple Airport Express router. I connected the LG unit to the TV with an HDMI cable (not included). Connected the unit to the AC power and connected the included USB wireless adaptor. When I turned the unit ON, the HOME screen was easy to understand, went to SETUP and clicked on NETWORK. My home network was listed, entered my password and in 30 seconds it was connected. I went to HOME, clicked on the ONLINE icon and then clicked on Netflix icon. The unit connected, gave me a Netflix code that I entered in my account using my computer and in less than 1 minute I was connected and browsing titles.



Picture quality very good. Overall very satisfied. DVD quality as well as Blu-Ray quality is very good and similar to higher end units that retail for 2x more. LG BD640 Network Wireless Blu-ray Disc Player

This product works as well as the package directions and reviews indicated. Super easy set up for a novice like me. Nice slim design makes it unobtrusive and the small footprint is appreciated amidst all the other devices (satellite, DVD/VCR, sound bar.)



The wireless LG dongle works flawlessly with great speed connected to our wireless router. Must say, though, that the wireless router is in the same room. Incredibly clear and crisp video through Netflix for movies made in 1969 & the 1970's. Haven't tried a blu-ray DVD yet (need to bring them back from being on loan.)

I bought this player since it was on sale and would connect wirelessly to stream movies from Netflix. I've been using my new player for about a month, and it works great with my HDMI-connected HD LCD TV. The setup was very easy...it found my wireless router and accepted the router password and connected right away. I've been using it for Netflix streamed movies, have watched a bunch of them, and have never had a glitch or pause in any of them. When you first power it on, it takes about a minute to connect to Netflix and bring up the menu with all of the movies in your queue. I've also played DVDs and Blu-rays without any issues. The remote is easy to use for Netflix or disks.



I only had 2 small issues:



1) I had one aesthetic issue ... it comes with a largish USB style stick that is it's wireless connection. It plugs in and sticks out of the front right of the machine. It's 1" wide and sticks out 3". I was surprised the wireless wasn't integrated in like a PlayStation 3. Since the player sits on a small table, I worried about hitting it as I walked by and made sure to push the player back. The player itself is only 8" deep, so +3" makes it 11", so it wasn't a problem pushing it back.



2) I'm not sure if some players have more memory, but on some of the blu-ray's I've rented or bought, the Internet interactive features (like BD live) give a message that there is not enough memory to download the software. Since I don't care about online interactive features, it doesn't matter to me, but you should research this if this is important to you.

EDITED TO ADD: After reading the manual, it appears that in order to use the BD Live function, you need to attach a USB memory stick to download the content. And in order to do this wirelessly, since the player has only 1 USB slot, you buy and insert a USB hub into the one slot, and then insert the memory card AND the wireless card into the hub. I have not tried this.

It's a nice base model by LG. Word 'network' is misleading as it cannot play media saved on a network. It can connect to the network to access internet, and stream internet content such as Netflix, Youtube, etc. It is not DLNA certified (couldn't believe for a product as latest as this one). Only one USB port, which will be occupied if you want to connect it wirelessly (with supplied USB dongle).



Setup is much easier and straight-forward than a Sony BD player. If your purpose is just to play blu-ray disks (and only stream from internet, but not from your network), it is simply one of the best!

We'd purchased a different model of LG Blu-ray player for our main TV a few months ago, and were so impressed that we decided we needed a wireless player to match up with the bedroom TV, as well. One of the key features we required on any wireless Blu-ray player was to be able to watch Netflix or similar service. After researching quite a few in the price range we were looking at, we again chose LG, and are glad we did. Blu-ray/DVD playback is excellent on this machine. The menuing system is very similar to the downstairs device (although that one is paired with a compatible LG TV, while this one is paired with another brand). The remotes for the two players are very similar in layout and function...a feature I really like.

I can use it as a music player, but since we don't have speakers, other than those on the TV, I don't usually use this function. All in all, I am very happy with this Blu-ray player. The price through Amazon was the best I found, and the delivery (I opted to pay shipping charges to get it a bit faster) was as promised.

Very good for the price. Can connect to Netflix, CinemaNow, Vudu and Youtube. I connected to the Internet with the wired input for better performance, but the unit can connect wireless using the supplied wireless USB dongle. I haven't tested that. Internet services are a breeze to use.



The blu-ray works fine. Startup times seems average. This is my first Blu-Ray unit. I Watched True Grit in Blu-Ray and although the image was nice, it did not blow the doors off plain DVD. I would not have guessed it was Blu-Ray had I not known. Maybe playing them back to back would show a difference? This is not a knock against this unit as this is my first Blu-Ray, maybe my expectations were too high for Blu-Ray.



If you need a no-frills Blu_Ray unit with good connectivity without paying for all the other extras, this is it. - Lg - Netflix'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Blu-ray - netflix, lg netflix Blu-ray - netflix, lg