Thursday 5 November 2009

Jewelry Design - jewelry, jewelry design


This book is quite interesting. It showcases the works of top metalsmiths. This is a juried collection. The pieces were chosen by Talya Baharal. She is an award-winning art jeweler. There is quite a varied collection of styles in this book and the jewelry is very beautiful. Most of the pieces are contemporary or avante-garde. Some of the pieces are quite bizarre. Things you might find in a museum maybe, but you would never see anyone wear in real life. But, as they say, art (beauty) is in the eye of the beholder.



Although this is not my favorite "500" book, I did enjoy it and found lots of inspiration in it. 500 Silver Jewelry Designs: The Powerful Allure of a Precious Metal (500 Series)

"500 Silver Jewelry Designs" beautifully presents 500 silver creations in a wide verity of styles, that range from classic to outlandish. Many of these pieces are closer to sculpture than jewelry and quite honestly more than few really are not practical for daily wear.



This is also not an instructional guide and it is often difficult to see how the piece was made, but there are a lot of pieces that have provided inspiration for my own jewelry. The presentation and photography are absolutely outstanding, making this a delight to page through for enjoyment and possible ideas.



Recommended!



CFH



Note: I revived a review copy from the publisher, but this in no way reflects my rating.

This is the 11th Lark jewelry books I've bought. I have the 500 series and even a 1000 book too. Each has their own flair based on who has curated the collection. This collection is interesting in that the juror has picked a lot of cutting edge and progressive pieces. I have to say I don't agree 100% with her picks. Some artists make to satisfy their customers, some make for themselves, some make for other artists. A lot of the pieces included are, dare I say, ugly. They feature silver in unconventional ways, true, but not necessarily beautiful ways. A lot of pieces look deconstructed, which makes for a cool coffee-table book, but as a jewelry artist, this kind of work is not the most inspiring to me. I would say about 10% of the pieces are truly beautiful and a marvel of technique, composition, skill and finesse. The other 90% in my humble opinion are barely wearable, not recognizable as jewelry (or silver) and not very attractive. I think pieces can be cutting edge, but can't they be beautiful, too? I'm all for making art for art's sake, but many of these pieces were hard to visually connect with, some hard to emotionally or intellectually connect with as well. The piece on the cover fits exactly into that 10% I'm talking about- gorgeous, technique-savvy, and appealing. Most of the other pieces are not, in my opinion. Not sure I'd recommend the book, but it was very reasonably-priced, so I went for it. I did get some great ideas in looking at the 10% gorgeous examples, but was kind of disappointed with the other choices.

Silver offers a subtle, more subdued appearance to its gaudier cousin gold. "500 Silver Jewelry Designs: The Powerful Allure of a Precious Metal" is a guide for those who seek to work with silver to create creative and beautiful designs of their own creation. With plenty of inspiration to draw from, the people at Lark crafts present hundreds of full color photographs to take ideas from to seek what fits them, whether they are seeking to buy or create their own accessories. "500 Silver Jewelry Designs" is a sage read for jewelry lovers, highly recommended.

The book is interesting to look at but its more of a coffee table book. The designs are not for realistic wear. I found them to be based on what people might wear if they are attending a party on another planet.

This is one of about 4 of the 500 series books that is not what I would call a good representation of sellable jewelry. Most of the designs were so far out of what I think my customers would buy and more suitable to be thrown off floats in New Orleans. It has already been returned for a refund. The 500 Gemstone Jewels, Masters Gold, and Masters Gemstones, all Lark series publications are more suited to my taste in the jeweler's Art. - Gemstone - Jewelry - Jewelry Making - Jewelry Design'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Jewelry Design - jewelry, jewelry design jewelry making Jewelry Design - jewelry, jewelry design