Friday 20 November 2009

Fishing Equipment


This is the first fishing reel I paid $100+ and it is worth every cent. I used to buy the typical $20+ fishing reels at Walmart saying to myself why the heck would anyone pay several times this price for a reel? After using these cheap reels for a few years, they started falling apart, not to mention the line getting tangled frequently. The drag on the cheaper reels also gave me a headache as you turn, turn, and turn the drag to adjust it and its on too heavy or light with little room in between. I finally made the plunge and bought two of the 2500 series mainly for trout and smaller fish. The moment I opened the box and started turning the handle on the Stradic, I was amazed. I asked myself how can a reel be so smooth? The price on Amazon for the 2500 series is $128 with free ship and no tax. They go for 159.99 plus tax at the local sporting goods stores. The reel also comes with an extra identical aluminum spool. It also has a repairable drag clicker should it ever wear out.



When you compare the stats for this reel with even the lower end Shimanos like the Saros, the Stradic is a winner. It is lighter, retrieves more inches of line per turn, and probably has the best drag in its class and size. It offers 15 lbs of drag in a reel under 10oz and 34 inches of line per turn thanks to its high gear ratio.



When I used to open my cheap reels to oil them and I remember seeing the ball bearings. If you can see ball bearings, sand and dirt can also go inside it easily. When I removed the handle of Stradic, I could not see the ball bearings because they are sealed. The drag is also sealed and water tight. The maintainace port on the reel is another great feature. You unscrew it and place a few drops of oil and screw it back on. This reel was made for fresh and salt water. Despite the small size of this reel, it was also made to handle braid line. I heard of other people fishing with this reel size with 20 lbs braid on this reel and catching 20+lbs fish with no problems thanks to its great drag.



I know from my bicycling experience that Shimano is well known for its quality gears in the bicycling world and I now know that they are just as good in their fishing reels.



Just ordered the 5000 size (has 25 lbs of drag!) from Amazon for higher line capacity for ocean surf fishing. Stradic 4000 FI Spinning Reel

Just put my second Stradic 2500 FI to use with fluro. Just as the first, it works fine. I was thinking of spending the extra $$ for the new, highly rated lightweight reel that they brought out. But, given the unavilability of it at much if any discount, the lack of a free extra spool included, and the fact that on rods that the Stradic FI balances well, the lighter reel wouldn't. It weighs as much or less than the small 1000s for light-ultra-light rods.



Considering the price of Stradic FI being sold by Amazon itself, $130, no tax, no shipping, it can't be beaten. Are there better, quieter, smoother??? Sure, but look at the prices......unless you're a tournament pro and make 3000 casts on average per day fishing fast, this is the best deal, best build quality, etc.

I primarily surf cast with metal spoons and jigs for spanish mackeral, bluefish and red fish. My line of choice is braid. The Stradic series from Shimano is the ONLY reel I have found that consistently handles braid perfectly. I use a 9 foot steelhead rod and a Stradic 5000 FI loaded with 15 pound Power Pro. I have tried almost every brand of high end spinning reels on the market. The Shimano Stradic FI series is the finest reel I have ever casts.

I've always been a baitcast man. I had tried a spinning reel years ago and didn't care for it, but decided to give it another chance. I picked this reel based on reviews and because I wanted decent quality. That was several months ago. I strung it up with some 20# braided line and tried it out catfishing off our dock at Lake Livingston. The first fish I caught on it was a 20+ lb blue cat so the reel got a pretty good workout.



It didn't take long to get the hang of casting it and man, does it work great with braided line. I love the strength and durability of braided but it can be tough to use on a baitcast reel. Once you get that stuff backlashed you might as well break out the knife. The Stradic 4000FI handles it great. Maybe any spinning reel would do the same but this one has the guts to reel in bigger fish without even flinching.



This isn't the only "big fish" reel I have. I have ABU 6500 and 7000 reels that have a lot of muscle. But they do not have the finesse of the Stradic.



I liked it well enough that I put another one on my Christmas wish list and my BW put one under the tree for me. I'll probably always favor my old baitcast reels for panfish,etc., but when I go after the big ones it will be with the Stradic.

I bought a few of these after my fishing buddy has been using his Stradic reels for nearly 20 years now. After going through his reels they are like new again. I want a reel that will last and great features to keep my braided line from twisting on reel. I could not be happier with product and the only brand I will buy for spinng or bait casting reels.

In his review, Dagre says he has trouble with the bail on his 4000. If he will make sure the roller on the bail is at the closest point to the rod he won"t have this problem. Shimano has a narrow area where the bail may be flipped without resistance. If the line roller is at any other point but at the top, the bail will not flip. If you force it you can damage the reel. Hope this helps! I have owned 2 4000's and I think you can't buy a better reel for the money.

This is a great reel! I used it the other day with a new rod I made. It retrieved the fish smoothly and the drag was perfect. The first time I have bought a reel of this quality and it won't be the last. Disappointed the box had a tear and a part for spooling line was missing. However, the reel quality is fantastic.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Fishing Equipment Fishing Equipment Fishing Equipment