Sunday 2 August 2009

Wireless Adapter - viera cast, wifi


I'm using this with a Panasonic TC-P50G20 TV. As soon as it was plugged in, I was prompted to join a wireless network. Showed all Wi-Fi available with signal strength and type, a b g or n (very nice). Works perfectly with my Apple airport,type n.Very easy setup, just followed the prompts. It comes with a 3 ft USB extension cable which made hiding it much easier. Otherwise the dongle sticks out a little if plugged directly into the left side USB port. A bit expensive for what it is, but apparently nothing else will work. PS,there was already a update for the TV that was painless to install.I find Netflix works much better(clearer picture) with this adapter and the Panasonic TV than with my LG 390 blu-ray player. Panasonic DY-WL10 Wireless LAN Adapter for select Panasonic Viera HDTVs and Blu-ray Disc Players

Okay, my "credentials": I have purchased this unit, a Panasonic DMP-BD85K WiFi Enabled Blu-Ray Disc Player (Black), a Panasonic VIERA TC-P42G25 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV, and a Netgear WNDA3100v2 usb WiFi adapter for use on my DishNetwork DVR. I have a NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless-N300 Gigabit Router with USB WNR3500L and a 6Mb down DSL connection. I mention the Netgear WiFi adapter because that is the only one that can be used instead of this Panasonic adapter (version 2 only). I am a network techie and, because I didn't have anything better to do that night, tried a bunch of configurations. Here are some of my conclusions and observations: 1) The Panasonic gets stronger and more stable connections than the Netgear. 2) You have very little control over the adapter from the TV or the Bluray. [Edit: this is a dual band device and you can connect at 2.4 OR 5 if you have a dual band router]. You cannot access any of the properties of either adapter as you could if it was connected to a PC. 3) the price of both adapters are pretty much the same and assuring that you are getting the version 2 of the Netgear is pretty iffy unless you pay higher prices at a local electronics store and can directly look at the adapater. The Netgear is much positional which I found to be a negative because it is easy to be moved by roving cats, messing with wiring, etc. The Panny adapter seemed to pick up the max signal in almost all positions. 4) Why do reviewers downgrade the adapter's rating just because the tv or bluray needs it for WiFi. Shouldn't that downgrade be attributed to the TV or Bluray player rating? 5) Differences in PQ or stuttering could just as easily be blamed on a slow broadband connection. Your available bandwidth from your ISP is really the rate limiting step, not the Wireless N speed (even with a mediocre WiFi N connection). Bottom line - the device works well despite the negative comments that have more to do with availability, perceived high price compared to other USB WiFi adapters (probably true for G but not N), lack of choice (so?) and the fact that it was not built into the TV or Bluray that was originally purchased.

I bought this because I did not want to run a Cat 6 line through my house. The adapter is easy to setup. I have my wireless security set to no broadcast, WPA. I followed the prompts for a manual setup on the display and it was easy. The paper instructions are worthless.



I, too, get pauses during a Netflex broadcast. It does not bother me. If it does occur, it usually happens early in the movie and only once.

The Panasonic wireless LAN adapter for Panasonic DVD players works well. There are two areas that I'm less than pleased with, however. First, the adapter protrudes from the front of the DVD player where it's likely to get bumped. Second, the price of approximately $90.00 is a genuine rip. This is a stone simple device that should sell for no more than $10 - $15. However, with some Panasonic DVD players, access to the Internet cannot be accomplished without it, therefore, the outrageous price. The entire DVD player was $130.00. It would be much better to buy a DVD player with built in Internet access. The one we have was a gift, so we're stuck. Also, Panasonic does not permit substitutes. You must have this particular model, and you must use only the HDMI cable that came with the box. So much for open systems. Other than these items, we're very happy with the results. We're able to stream Netflix movies very quickly with excellent quality.

I worked for four hours with Pannasonic rep and my router, opening ports. Still wouldn't work. Called back to Panasonic and finally I was told the LAN adapter only had a ten foot range. What good is that? Isn't the point in having the adapter so you can access your wireless without being in the same room as your router. If my computer and router were in the same room as the TV I could just run a wire. The router is about 15 and half feet from the TV with no wall or door between just an open floor plan. But I can not move it any closer.

Upon receipt of this product, plugged it in the the Panasonic Blu-Ray Disc Player, followed the on scren instructions to set up, as I have a protected network, and was not to famaliar with some of the terms, it took me a few minutes to get the proper coding in, but after I acomplished that, I was immediately able to get online, and have used it with Netflex. Have had no problems with connection, and no problem with streaming. The picture quality has been good, and no delays in downloading have occurred. I am highly satisfied with the item.

Absolutely crazy that Panasonic can't build in wireless connectivity. Wastes a USB port too. It is your only choice if you don't want and extra CAT 6 to the back of your set. Way to expensive for what it is!

When I purchased my Panasonic TC-P42S2 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV, it was on sale at Sears and additionally came with a Panasonic DMP-BD65 Blu-Ray Disc Player (Black) at no additional cost--I got both for $729, so I was not upset that the Blu-Ray player did not come wireless ready. After some research, I found this device elsewhere for around $60. It works exceedingly well--no pauses, and is able to stream HD content from Netflix flawlessly. It is linked to my NETGEAR WNDR3300 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Router, a pairing that works perfectly so far, and which is nice because I stream Netflix through my N connection, while using the G connection for my laptop. Like others, I dislike the fact that the USB connection is in the front and not the rear of the Blu-Ray player, but that is an issue with the player itself and not the adapter. I simply pushed the Blu-Ray player back into the shelf a couple of inches in order to prevent any accidents. There is a way to make the adapter less obtrusive--get an angled USB cable from NTC Distributing (do a search for this company), and you will be able to tuck the cable away and hide the adapter. The only thing that I really dislike about this device is that it is so large. I wonder why they couldn't take advantage of the nano usb device technology that is out there. At any rate, this device works, and works really well. - Viera Cast - Streaming - Wireless Adapter - Wifi'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Wireless Adapter - viera cast, wifi wireless adapter Wireless Adapter - viera cast, wifi