Saturday 15 August 2009

Ink Cartridge - pen, fountain pens


The Lamy Safari is an excellent pen: light, sturdy, attractive design that lets you monitor your level of ink. It's great if you like thick pens (I don't, but people do), and I should have gotten the fine tip rather than medium because I can empty a cartridge in eight pages of free-flowing ink.



On the other hand, it's a great pen if you're stuck with a bunch of cartridges that come from your checkered past: the sales rep says it can only handle Lamy-proprietary ink cartridges, but that's nonsense. Mine goes through Parker and Cross cartridges like nobody's business, with nary a mishap. Lamy Safari Charcoal Fountain Pen - Charcoal, Extra-Fine Nib L17XF

At first I was very skeptical about writing with a fountain pen. This is my first fountain pen and honestly, I was at first a bit disappointed. I had come from a long experience with Pilot G2 gel pens (ultra-fine point) and because it didn't "write" like the Pilot pens, I was frustrated that I had paid this much for this pen. However, the more I started to write with this pen, the more I got used to it and began to truly appreciate it worthiness. My problem was that I was comparing apples to oranges, which in this case I was all too familiar with the Pilot pens to expect this Lamy pen to write just like it. Well, I now am able to better understand that fountain pens aren't for everyone but for those that like pens that require effortless writing. All in all, a good fountain pen if you want to get into the realm of fountain pens. Hope you enjoy writing with this pen as much as I do. I also have the Blue colored Safari.

I couldn't resist purchasing this pen because of the price. I now have five Safari's (one is an all star aluminum body) and here is what I can share with you from my experience. I first want to mention if you buy a Safari, when it arrives and you begin writing with it, if it is skipping or the ink is not flowing properly (nice even full line) then there is a problem with the nib not the pen. The first one I purchased arrived and I was disappointed. I couldn't figure out why all of the great reviews. I continued to write with it trying to like it because it wasn't terrible but skipped a lot. I then decided to buy another one because I am a big fan of pink and I found a pink Safari. To my surprise this pen worked awesome, really nothing like the first pen. The ink flowed smooth and consistent on most papers (I will discuss paper soon)and I began to realize why all of the reviews were great. I had this same pattern happen with the next 2 pens so I have decided to help others that might get a pen that is not working perfect. You can either return your pen for another one or find someone who can help you adjust the nib. I know very little about the mechanics of fountain pens so I can't give any advice there. My solution was to order new nibs for the 2 pens that I had trouble with, once I replaced them I have not had a problem since.



I use 2 brands of notebook almost exclusively, Rhodia and Moleskine. I love each one for different reasons but as far as the Lamy Safari is concerned I only use it in my Moleskine. My experience has been the Safari skips and writes lousy on the Rhodia paper (some of the highest quality paper) I can't explain the reason but it holds true for all of the Safaris I have tried. On every other kind of paper I have no problems and I love to write now that I have a love for these pens. I love light pens and the Safari is very light with out the cap posted on the end. If you do prefer a heavier top end while writing you will enjoy the way this pen feels with the large cap posted.The grip is a pleasure to feel in your hand and I think the pen has a cool unique look to it. I am happy with this product and I hope this has helped you make a decision on the purchase. I wish you the best of luck.

In my household the air is dry enough to dry up all my fountain pens, even the expensive ones. Over the past ten years I have found I use this pen more than any other simply because the nib always flows immediately when you uncap the pen and write with it. It does not dry out with normal use (just put the cap on when you are not writing with it). It is lightweight and safe to carry in a handbag. I think it is a fabulous pen, especially given the low price.

I bought one Lamy Fine and one Extra-Fine. I like to have a blue and black pen around. Both are awesome, sturdy and write well. I've used the supplied cartridge as well as Noodlers Bulletproof Black in a converter (which I recommend).



The Fine pen was thin enough for my purposes. I'm able to write small notes legibly in-between lines. While the Extra-Fine pen is still a good pen, it is quite scratchy to me. That issue eliminates the smooth glide that I expect out of a fountain pen. It's also not so much thinner that I really feel there is any benefit to extra-fine over fine.



Both of the Safari pens have a clip that I hate. I like to keep my pen clipped to my moleskine notebook. The design of the clip makes this impossible. The clip is obviously durable though, and it does work well clipped to my pocket. The upside of this is that I tend to have the pen with me everywhere, instead of forgetting it with my notebook.



So, choose the Lamy Fine pen over Extra-Fine, especially if this is your first fountain pen.

This is a great introduction to Fountain pens. I was not even a pen guy before, I prefer mechanical pencil and eraser combo. Not if I need to write something and pencil is better, I will try to accommodate to be able to use this fountain pen.



It is addicting to use this pen on several fronts. Writing in ink is very nice, there is more definition and it looks great. A word about inks, it is better to get your own ink than use the proprietary cartridges. Ink is not created equal, some will bleed through inferior paper, and have less definition, the ink that comes with this pen is the more inferior kind. This fountain pen comes with one cartridge and you will have to purchase a separate converter for $5 somewhere else. You can find an ink that will suit you.



In the process of writing, there is a satisfying feel to it. It's like you have a rapport with the paper you are writing with. There is a feeling in you hand that you are writing with authority-you can feel every stroke and characters are written how your ind intends it.



This is a great pen, of course when you get into fountains pens you'd probably tempted to buy fountain pens the price of a Rolex watches. This is a great pen, its a great buy, I know I could not have went to Office Max or Depot and gotten it there. - Lamy - Fountain Pens - Ink - Pen'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Ink Cartridge - pen, fountain pens lamy Ink Cartridge - pen, fountain pens