Thursday 2 July 2009

Window Mount - droid car mount, motorola


The portion of the mount that craddles the phone is a little larger than it really needs to be, which detracts from the aesthetics, but more important it makes the mount a bit cumbersome to carry with on business trips. Also, that craddle slides onto the articulating arm, but the slide does not lock in, which allows the craddle to wiggle a bit while driving -- annoying but not critical. And finally, even with the spacer sleve removed from the craddle, you cannot insert the phone into the craddle with any sort of skin -- there simply isn't enough room. Unacceptable! You'd think it would have been manufactured to at least accommodate the Motorla case. As it is, I must remove any sort of skin or case before using the mount. Motorola DROID X Car Mount

The Motorola Droid X car mount does a much better job than a 3rd party mount. It provides a snug, secure fit for your Droid X and a multi-pivot arm that positions it wherever you want it. Comes with mounting discs you can glue to the dash, which is a big plus because the Droid X is a fairly heavy device to try to suction to your window, and if you have a car like my Dodge Intrepid, windshield mounts tend to put devices out of easy reach.



The software is serviceable with nice big buttons to activate calling, navigation, voice commands, the default music player, and one app you pick (e.g., Pandora or Rhapsody). It would could use some more customization options; my biggest complaint is that I never use the default Android music player and don't want to waste one of the six buttons on it. It would also be nice to be able to activate and deactivate Bluetooth and GPS from the car mount menu.



Of course, you can exit the car mount menu for any of these functions, but the whole point is to have big buttons that don't require you to take your eyes off the road if you try to use while driving (which, generally, you shouldn't anyway). A few tweaks to the software, and this is a 5-star item. Regardless, at the time of this review 10/2010 it's far superior to any 3rd party options.

I just wanted to write that this does not come with a car charging cable, the dock has a mini usb port on it that you can plug a cable into in order to charge your phone while the dock is in use. The only included cable is the audio cable.

Got this basically for a car charger....and this has exceeded my expectations. I had not studied my DroidX enough to figure out the GPS and Navigation features....I had this mount in my truck, put my DroidX in it...and Vwa-La...the GPS and Navigation popped up automatically...talk about 'plug and play'!!! WOW!

This cradle is awesome. With my Droid X, I really don't need the built in Screen/Entertainment/Navigation in our Suburban or my Truck. Here's How I normally use it:



1. GPS, I have a Google/Gmail account, and create My Maps in Google Maps. I can pull them up and hit Directions and this is a large screen Turn by Turn Navigation system. In Texas I go remote places, and if I stay on the original route, I don't need a new data connection.



2. Music - This comes with a plug to my AUX input. With GPS going, I do a couple different things. I either turn on Pandora (tons of stations set up for different internet music) I play one of the playlists of mp3s I moved to my SD card or, and this is really cool, I turn on the app Tune In Radio and listen to Austin, TX, or Houston/Dallas, wherever I choose, radio stations, anywhere I've got a data connection. That means I listen to Austin ESPN Radio all the time in my car over my phone, and the GPS breaks in to give me directions.



3. On Sundays - driving out to the Ranch, NFL App, I can load every game, see the scores....and listen to the radio broadcast of any game in the NFL over my car radio.



When you load your phone in this cradle, it immediately goes to Car Dock mode, which is not bad. I found a place to download Google Car Home (which is better) and it has 4 different screens. I can preload addresses on a trip and just slide to that widget and click...the phone goes to turn by turn directions.



This locks to the windshield and not to the dash. Not sure if it could if you had one of those pads that sit on the dash with a smooth section to lock in, just haven't tried it. Easy to put in, charges the phone, turns this phone into an Auto Media Device, really cool.

Got this for xmas and really love it. The unit is built very well, solid construction and what not. I like how adjustable it is as far as angles, etc.



Has a spacer that can be removed so the phone fits while in some cases. Only problem, even without the spacer my phone still didn't fit with the case I bought for the phone at Verizon.



Would be 5 stars if it worked with my case. Still, I like this thing enough to remove my phone from its case every time I want to plug it into the window mount.

The Droid X car mount with Jawbone Icon has made my 100,000 miles per year on the road much safer and acceptable. I use my contact list to get addresses for GPS navigation and phone numbers everyday without taking my eyes off the road. Really worth the investment as the Garmin days of updates and newer style expenses are over.

The mount was as advertised. I had intended to use the mount in my work van as a hands free device. Due to excessive excessive road noise and distance from the driver to the mount, I was unable to get satisfactory performance. This mount may serve better in smaller passenger vehicles.

I have this item. First of all, it does not stick to the dashboard at all. It fell off after the first three days (after I let it cure onto the dashboard). I can't even figure out how to plug this wire into my dashboard. I assume I have to take off panels of my car to get to the interior to play the music. It is not something I would recommend. You have to take any case or cover off your phone in order to use this device, and that in itself is cumbersome. Buy a generic one that plays music the easy way - by plugging into a cigarette lighter, as this one requires car surgery to get it to work. :-( Highly disappointed, because I paid a lot for it. - Car Mount - Dock - Motorola - Droid Car Mount'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Window Mount - droid car mount, motorola dock Window Mount - droid car mount, motorola