Friday 10 July 2009

Cordless Drill - cordless tools, 18 volt


This is my 3rd 14.4 volt drill, 3rd generation has really improved. The shorter body allows me to work in tighter areas. I origionally thought the led was a joke but I have noticed that the led light has been pretty handy as I have used it in areas with low lighting, it does work. I was also pretty impressed with the speedy battery charge time. It's nice to see that dewalt has stayed with the same battery configuration since my first drill back 10-15 yrs ago. DEWALT DC730KA Cordless 14.4-Volt Compact Drill/Driver

Have always had a 14 volt DeWalt. No need for the 18, too heavy. Wore my 14 out so I ordered this one. Delivered fast and used it almost immediately. Can't beat the price, especially with the case and two batteries and charger. Remember to charge the batteries first.

Excellent product...I would recommend this to anyone looking for a drill. I had a Ryobi cordless drill prior to purchasing this and after 7 years it finally died. As a result of using Dewalt drills owned by friends, I thought I would purchase one myself. This drill exceeded my expectations greatly. I loved my Ryobi drill and did not want to let it go but glad that I made this purchase instead of another Ryobi...

I bought this a few weeks ago at a local store for just south of $100 on sale. It replaced a 12 volt model I have used for 10 years that finally gave up the ghost - in fact to replace with a 12 volt would have been more costly due to the sale so I went with this one.



I have been very pleased with the performance of this unit and especially the fast charging and additional power compared to the 12 volt. My first project was a 15 foot red cedar garden bridge I built to cross a small stream - this involved drilling about 20 half-inch holes and screwing in about 400 deck screws. For virtually the entire project I was constantly using this drill and by the time I went through one battery pack the other one was charged and ready to go (so about an hour or more of constant use, which is impressive).



I am looking forward to using the more compact design in tight spots as that had been an issue with my prior drill and the LED light looks useful as well.



UPDATE 12-18-10:

Several months (and several projects) later and this drill is still going strong. The LED light is really not too useful, however, as the chuck creates a shadow right where you are drilling. Easily fixed with a piece of electrical tape to cover it up, if you want to bother (I haven't). I think this feature would be of use if they put the light down just above the battery on the front, shining upward into the area where the drill bit is. But then again, I'm not a tool designer and there is likely some reason that would not work. Anyway, still a great product which I would buy again.

Good drill driver, 14v is better than 12... You will notice that when you release the trigger in 2nd

speed(only 2nd) that it grinds to a stop. That is normal according to a Dewalt repair tech I showed to in person.

This thing drives good, a bit better than the 12v, and drills good, I use 2nd speed for drill even though they say use speed 1 in manual. Is a bit shorter than my old 12v but is a bit heavier too. But ok.Worth 135$. Too bad the Panasonics are so stupidly overpriced.

The drill itself is performing very well. It's the DeWalt carry/storage case that needs improvement. My previous drill was a Makita, its carry/storage case had room inside for me to store a 35 piece drill driver set in its own hard case. This allowed me to grab the drill in its case and go, without having to remember to carry the drill driver set separately like I have to now with the DeWalt. The DeWalt case is actually larger than the Makita, but there is too much space wasted on plastic molding. The interior space could easily be reconfigured to accommodate a case for drills/drivers.

Richard

Rutland, MA

I am very satisfied with the DeWalt Drill/Driver. The 14.4 Volt drill is the workhorse for our Set Construction Crew. We put on three productions a year and we have found that this drill is powerful enough to accomplish our needs from light work to repeated heavier work such as three inch screws through 2x4s. We have dropped them a few times and they have survived. Thanks for a great product.

For the easily confused... When you buy a kit, the part number has a suffix like "KA". Your drill part number is "DC730" without the suffix. The kit part number is the combination of both, like "DC730KA".

Overall I would recommend this product to anyone needing a quality drill but does not require the extra power of an 18V unit on a daily basis. As a result of not being an 18V unit, it is substantially less bulky and easier to handle in tighter corners. Dual batteries is nice in that you can be charging one while the other is in use -- something I had to do very frequently during a recent home renovation.

Once again I was faced with dead batteries for my cordless drill, and replacement batteries cost almost as much as new a whole new drill set. I opted for the new drill for an extra thirty bucks. It is basically the same drill I already have, with a few improvements. The new drill is just a little lighter, and has a light, both are nice to have. The power is still there, the first thing I did with it was stir drywall mud in a five gallon bucket, and it had no problem. The only thing I didn't like was the small case it came with, there is no room to store drill bits, ect. Other than that, I would say it is a good buy, it's just seems such a shame to throw out my old drill for no reason. - 18 Volt - Cordless Tools - Dewalt - Drill'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cordless Drill - cordless tools, 18 volt 18 volt Cordless Drill - cordless tools, 18 volt