Thursday 25 June 2009

Tool Chest On Wheels - toolbox, construction


I have had two of these for about a year. I'm a site superintendent/lead carpenter. I love the organization but the plastic is cheap and when it's exposed to cold weather it cracks and breaks like peanut brittle. Both of the locks that hold the drawers shut have broken off. The frame is very light gauge and has dislodged itself many times requiring repair. The design is there I just wish Stanley would use quality plastic and real pneumatic wheels with a decent frame! Take a look at the Bosch gravity rise stands for table/chop saws Bosch TS2000 Gravity-Rise Wheeled Table Saw Stand. Those products are well worth the money. They are built like tanks. This toolbox is NOT. For $80 I want better quality. Stanley Consumer Storage 020800R FatMax 4-in1 Mobile Work Station for Tools and Parts

I'm a remodeling contractor in So. Cal., and I just picked up one of these at Lowes. I really love it. Maybe a little on the cheap side for rigorous daily jobsite use, but its really handy for keeping tools, fasteners, etc. organized on site (vs. laying around all over the place). Closes up into a tidy box for transport, and the opening system for access to all areas at the same time is awesome. Think I'll go get a second one today!

I bought this rolling toolbox for my boyfriend as he travels with tools a lot. It is so neat now I want one! It has several compartments that can be used for different purposes and we love the wheels. The fact that it opens up to show all the compartments without having to pick up sections is nice too.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that I'm not sure about the durability of it. It is made of plastic and I'm not certain that over time with traveling it will hold up. Time will tell.

I'm off to order another - this one is for me!

Like "Tim the Painter" I also own two of these toolboxes and have for the last three months. Had I written this review on the day of purchase, I would have given them 5 stars but felt a trial period was in order to give a review. I should also note that the total weight of each loaded box is 88lbs. and 84lbs.



Although I haven't had any problems with plastic durability (possibly because I'm in a warmer climate) I am concerned with the thin-wall construction of the "Patented tiered cantilever multi-level rolling system" --not much better than what you'd find in an eight-dollar folding lawn chair. The limit stop on the telescoping handle is insufficient and I can see the day that I (or someone else) break the handle off. Hindsight tells me I should have waited for the new and improved version.



UPDATE: 6 months later...



Still toting around the same tools with just a couple of problems. One of the spring-loaded locking pins on the telescoping handle has developed a bur and won't fully seat on it's own (it has to be pushed in manually). Forgetting that problem, I hyper-extended the handle bending it slightly. The other problem that I've found is if you place the center of gravity forward of the wheels while "pushing", a lot of stress is placed on the mount. It's not a problem if "pulling". I leave it at 2 stars because of this weak design.



UPDATE: 2 years later...



Even though these don't travel with my like they have in the past, they're holding up better than I thought they would. The shortcomings mentioned above persist along with some minor 'bulging' of the large lower compartment (I should note that these boxes are rarely exposed to direct sunlight, heat or cold). Change rating from 2 stars to 3.

I will say that this is the best portable tool box I've ever had. It is portable but hold most of my frequently used tools. I now know where all my tools are. It is very mobile and just roll out of my garage and all the tools that i need are there. At this time, it's not even full yet. Worth the money for sure. Do your research, but due to it's mutiple function level system, the awkwardness of getting tools out is totally elimated........you'll end up back to this product

I have had my FatMax 4in1 box for more than a month and would buy another in a heartbeat. I condensed two household boxes into this box and have room to grow. The bottom box is home to my Ryobi five peice One+ cordless tool set including spare batteries, charger, and drill/driver set (and some other odd shapped things like my square). The middle box is perfect for my electrical parts and peices including crimper, pliers, etc. plus more spare batteries, tape measures, and more. The top box is more than ample for handtools.



The best part of the box is it's portability. It is great to move from project to project and not have to run around the house or shop looking for the right tool or part. As an added benefit, when the top box lid is open, it has compartments to temporarly store small parts and screws/nails while a project is under way.



It's a great box that I will rely on for a long time. My wife is considering buying one for her stamp/scrapbook/art supplies. She would have already completed the purchase if the box came in colors besides black.

i bought this for my husband at Christmas. He is a wood worker and travels to many peoples homes . He was having to carry many things in by hand because he didnt think anything was made to hold everything he needed. He said he wished he had 2 of them now, cannot believe how much easier it makes his job!!!!!!!

I have this toolbox for less than one month and it is broken in seval places. Both pivots are broken off, the bottom box has a huge crack in it. There are other places that are cracked. I like the layout of the box when working out of it all compartments are accessable. But for 80 bucks I would hope for more use before it breaks. I had a Craftsman box that lasted 3 years and I flew it all over the country with no cracks or breaks. It got stolen and I bought this one and I wasted my money on it. - Toolbox - Remodeling - Construction - Carpenter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Tool Chest On Wheels - toolbox, construction carpenter Tool Chest On Wheels - toolbox, construction