Wednesday 1 April 2009

Shrink To Fit - boot cut, levis


I am a Levi's 505 customer of 25+ years and like an earlier reviewer, I was always gratified to be able to buy these jeans either online or in a store, sight unseen, confident that the color and fit would always remain the same. But these have apparently been recently redesigned in some subtle ways.



I just bought my first pair in at least two or three years. First, they are now marked as "Straight Fit" (notice the tag inside the waist on the back) and not "Regular Fit" as they always used to be. You'll also notice that while the inseam is completely comparable, the color is a little duller - and the new Straight Fit now sits AT LEAST AN INCH LOWER ON THE WAIST than the old Regular Fit. I tried on a couple of pairs and found this to be consistently the case. (I also tried on 501 Straight Fit for comparison, and noticed the same thing.)



I suppose that Levi's is trying to increase its appeal to the adolescent demographic (which obviously prefers the lower rise, for reasons that escape me). Well, I'm 40 and I don't wish to dress like a teenager. So this is a very undesirable development. Thankfully I'm physically fit and could still wear the Straight Fit, even with its slightly lower rise - but I don't like where this is heading. Caveat emptor.



Customer Note: The original Regular Fit style is still available in stores, mixed in with the Straight Fits (I was fortunate to find three such pairs at my local Sears last night, and bought them all), so this is apparently a fairly recent development.



It's easy to tell the two apart: In addition to checking the inside back label (Regular Fit, vs. Straight Fit), you can check the manufacturer tags and plastic sizing stickers on each pair, which will also say either "Regular Fit" or "Straight Fit". So if you're partial to the old Regular Fit, your best bet now appears to be to actually go to a store and find them on the shelf while they are still available. Levi's Men's 505 Straight Fit Jean, Good Old Blue, 31X32

I've been wearing Levi 505's exclusively since the early 70's. They fit me perfect. I could just walk into a store and pick up my size and buy without trying them on. Best jeans around.



Well not any more! Without any notice they have changed the "Regular fit" 505's to "Straight fit" jeans which means they are no longer 505's at all. The waist is larger, the crotch is higher and you must now wear them down on your hips as kid do with their jeans. These are no longer meant for adults or anyone who wants pants that fit properly. I also don't like 550 relaxed jeans as they are too baggy.



I'll be looking for a different brand and returning the two pair I just bought. Hopefully Levi will lose enough faithful customers to make them rethink this rude abandonment of loyal customers.

Warning! Be advised that the new 505 Straight Fit jeans have replaced the original 505 Regular Fit jeans. They are not the same. Try these on in a store before ordering online or you will be disappointed. Apparently, somebody at Levi's had the bright idea of changing a tried and true style rather than creating a new one; a classic example of "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

My fiance loves these jeans and I always thought he was nuts that he had to try on the same 505's in the same size but found out you need to read the tag where they were manufactured. At the same store in the same size the same jeans were made in different countries resulting in a different fit. So now we know to look for the country that made them before we buy. They are still a favorite of both of ours as long as we get the same cut.

Hopefully my purchase today will be the right ones! This is a test I guess. - Boot Cut - 501 - Jeans - Levis'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Shrink To Fit - boot cut, levis levis Shrink To Fit - boot cut, levis