Sunday 29 March 2009

Leather Banded - watches, quartz


I just received this watch.



To address a couple of concerns from previous reviewers that may have been corrected by Stuhrling and/or Amazon:



-- My watch does say "Swiss Quartz" on the dial. The back of the case also states "Swiss Quartz Movement."



-- Stuhrling did send a one-year warranty extension offer for leaving feedback. There is now NO stipulation that the feedback must be 5 stars to qualify for the extension.



The watch itself looks great--very slim case, with a minimalist design that is very understated. It's certainly not a flashy watch, but it is very classy.



I considered purchasing a Longines or Junghans watch of similar design, but Stuhrling provided the look I wanted, at a much better price point.



The band is a shiny, faux-alligator leather. I was not expecting the faux alligator pattern, but it makes the watch a bit dressier than it would be with a plain leather band. I have a small wrist, and there are enough holes on the band so that I will not need to add another hole.



I can't comment on the durability of the watch yet, but if I experience any problems I will update my review.



All in all, it's a great looking watch at a reasonable price! Stuhrling Original Men's 601.33152 Classic Swiss 'Ascot' Watch

I purchased the watch from Amazon last year and used it for about six or seven months. Then it stopped due to water damage to the movement. On the back of the case, it is clearly stated that it is water resistance, and I used it mainly for work and never wore it to swim or anything wet. My experience suggests poor case quality. Potential buyers be aware.



I am now trying to get warranty coverage for the watch.



Update: I just received a reply from Stuhrling on warranty coverage. I will need to ship the watch back to the company at my own cost plus a $20 check to cover shipping the watch back. I bought the watch for well under $100 and now have spend about $30 more to have it serviced under warranty. This is rather unreasonable.

mine came also without a "swiss quartz" label. returned the watch right away - it is not worth $100.



also - just an FYI - Stuhrling includes a little card in the package saying that if you write 5-star review on amazon.com they will extend your warranty. so much for those few 5-star reviews here...

I bought this watch for my boyfriend for christmas and he loves is. The face is very sleek and uncluttered, and it looks very stylish yet not too formal. I am very happy that he likes his watch since I had no idea what kind to get him!



I only gave this 4 stars because 1.) The picture of the watch on Amazon shows the words "Swiss Quartz" on the face, however in person it does not, and 2.) There is indeed a note in the box saying that if you give the watch a 5-star review on amazon, you will get am extended warranty on the watch. Very shady.

The tiny thing I have noticed, and to me it is a one of the very important things in watch making, 12 o'clock is not pointing true Zero degree. Basically what it means is, the dial face has turned clockwise about 2 degree. After I noticed that, the more it seems obvious, and to a point kinda annoying. Overall, I like this watch don't get me wrong, plain, simple, classy. But with all the self-promote wordings (direct quote from it own box: "Stuhrling Original is an intimately exclusive timepiece intended for seekers of originality and individuality. Every Stuhrling creation is defined through the watch making tradition of technique, technology and craftsmanship, yet sports an artistic edge that redefines perfection."), please go back and focus on making the dial face to the right direction and orientation first. Thanks. My apology to those Stuhrling fans and company, for it is only my personal opinion and observation.

This watch is, I believe, an imitation of a timepiece from the Longines La Grande Classique collection, one that sells for over $1,000. Here's a picture: http://www.longines.com/eng/html_longines/Watches/LGC/longines_LGC.cfm



Anyway, I've had my Ascot watch for a few months now, and I've been very happy with it. This is my second Stuhrling watch (I also own the Uptown Chic, a beautiful watch). The Ascot is very light, very simple, and very elegant. It appears to be well-made, and the leather band is good-quality and durable. I set out to buy a very sophisticated watch at a rock-bottom price. Mission accomplished. I'd recommend this watch and the Stuhrling brand to anybody.

I ordered watch through Amazon Prime with 1-day shipping (needed it for an occasion). The shipment and delivery were perfect as usual with Amazon. No problems with the packaging of the watch as well.



However, the watch itself had two issues (minor but I'm a tad too perceptive):

1) There is a scuff mark on the side of the leather band. Minor but you can notice it with a once-over. Luckily, I do plan on replacing the watch band soon because the leather is a bit too glossy for my tastes.

2) The watch face is not perfectly centered. What I mean is that the watch face is rotated a tiny smidge to the left. Now, I realize this defect would take too much to replace/fix and at the price I paid the watch will serve all its needs. Plus, I can offset it by focusing on the center of the dial and not the edge that touches the bands where the shift is easier to notice.



Other notes about the watch:

1) As mentioned above, the band is glossy faux-alligator skin. Soft leather on the inside but a tad stiff. Of course, it will loosen up over time and with usage.

2) The casing itself is not flat but resembles a shallow bowl. The back panel is about 1/2 the size of the face and the casing sides slope in.

3) 2-yrs limited warranty that can be increased to 3-yrs with a review on your reseller's website (here at Amazon, for me). The review was not required to be positive, but I am very impressed so far with the workmanship and quality of the watch at its price point. - Leather Banded - Quartz - Watches - Dress Watches'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Leather Banded - watches, quartz quartz Leather Banded - watches, quartz