Thursday 5 February 2009

Ryobi 18v Battery


I have owned this battery for over six months and there have been no problems. It is charged in an unheated garage in Colorado and no cold weather problems have been detected. The difference between this battery and the older Ni-Cad is like night and day.



There are 3 batteries available in Li-Ion configuration for the Ryobi 18v tools. The small P103, limited amp-hours, but inexpensive and smaller. The 2.4 amp-hour and the 3 amp-hour. Amps is current, the higher the current drawn through the circuit, the more power. The 3amp-hour battery can run at 3 amps of current draw for an hour. The 2.4 amp-hour runs at 2.4 amps for an hour, approximately 20% less. The 2.4 amp-hour battery is $89.95, that's $37.48 per amp-hour of capacity. The 3 amp-hour battery is 129.49, thats $43.33 an amp-hour of capacity. The difference in price between the batteries is 31%. So, you pay 31% more for 20% more power. The casual homowner only using his tools occassionally, the 2.4 would probably be fine. A heavier user, or someone wanting the maximum power available, should probably go with the 3.0.



4/2011 update, battery still strong, no issues, one thing I have noticed, on the coldest winter days, by cold I mean 15 or below, when the battery is returned to the charger the charge green light does not immediately go on. If I bring the battery into the house and warm it for a few minutes, then retuen it to the charger, it starts charging immediately.



5/2011 Noticed some comments with many complaints about this battery. I have no factual explanation why other's batteries quit or won't charge. Mine still works well. I have done as much research as possible on the internet and I'm a bit confused. As I stated in my original review (if you believe printed statements from Ryobi) the P104 battery is not the 3ah battery, the 130429002 is. Even though they are interchangable for the tools they power. The P104 is either a 2.4ah or 2.6ah battery, I have seen it rated at both amperages on different web-sites. The price difference between the P104 and the #130429002 is growing, as is the scarcity of the #130429002. My best guess is that the 3.0ah batteries are no longer being made and only the 2.4ah/2.6ah will be the atrongest Ryobi available. JMHO, I could be wrong.



For those who dislike Ryobi batteries there is an alternative;try [...] then search product ID TOL7005 or work your way through "search for" menus. If you search for Ryobi P104 it will show you the TOL7005, if you search for Ryobi #130429002 it shows you the same battery.

Here's more confusion, in the general description they list the battery at 2.6ah, a battery Ryobi rates at 2.4ah, then in the specifications they list it at 3000mah which = 3ah, the same as #3130429002. 400 milliamps may not seem like much but it is a difference of 17% of a P104 or 13% of the 130429002. Either way I'd like to know. One more signficant point; Interstate batteries offers the TOL7005 for under $70 W/3.00 estimated shipping, a strong incentive regardless if it 2.4/2.6 or a full 3ah battery. Ryobi 130429002 ONE Plus 18V 3.0-Ah Lithium-ion Battery

I bought this battery to add to a ryobi set I purchased. It lasted just a little over a year before the charger reported that the battery was defective and it wouldnt power anything.



I've owned a heck of a lot of battery powered rechargeable devices and this is by far the shortest I've ever had a battery last. Most of them decline in length of use for a couple of years but still can go for 10-15 minutes after 2-3 years.



At this price, I'd expect at least a 3 year life span, not 14 months. The other reviewer who said they get you by the short hairs once you buy a lot of their tools is 100% correct.

Don't buy this battery expecting to get a 3.0 Ah battery. Ryobi does not make a battery with this rating. In fact this battery has a rating of 45 Wh which is the equivalent of 2.5 Ah (45/18=2.5) You are better off buying batteries at Home Depot. The last time I looked their batteries had a rating of 48 Wh.

Not only have all of my Ryobi LI-ON batteries gone bad, but after writing Ryobi early this last winter, they confirmed to me that their batteries will NOT charge if they are colder than 50 degrees or over 100 degrees. To me, this makes them virtually worthless. Unless you intend on using them indoors, and want to take a gamble on the batteries working at all, I strongly suggest you pass on these defective products.

I purchased the Ryobi 18V string trimmer and blower set from Home Depot in the summer of 2010, which included this battery.



Just to clear up some confusion, the label on the battery says P104, LI-ION, 18.0V, 45Wh, Battery 130429002. Therefore, the Ryobi model P104 battery appears to encompass several particular part numbers. Maybe product improvements as time marches on.



The battery has worked reliably with both the string trimmer, blower, my Ryobi cordless drills and my Ryobi reciprocating saw. I have no regrets about this battery and would purchase another.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Ryobi 18v Battery Ryobi 18v Battery Ryobi 18v Battery